Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

Guest Book Alternatives

I don't care for the traditional guest book.  I've seen a lot of alternative ideas but am wondering if anyone actually did something alternative or has seen a good idea at a real wedding.  In real life, I've seen the signing mat around a picture and the puzzle pieces.

Re: Guest Book Alternatives

• The thumb print tree is also a more popular idea as of late (where you have ink pads for each guest to post their print and sign next to it). You can create your own tree or buy a print off of Etsy.

Personally, we did advice for our 1st, 5th and 10th anniversaries. We had jars for each year, a sign with instructions, and little pieces of paper for them to write on. Hindsight, I wish we had instructed people to sign their names with their advice because I'm not sure that everyone did, but other than that I think it turned out well. I can try to find a picture if you're interested.
    Anniversary
  • On the same note as the signing mat (which is what J and I used), there is a really nice one that is an 'engraving mat'. It is a tad pricy, but I thought that it was a really neat idea. LINK

I've seen other knotties make a book on mixbook/shutterfly with their engagement pics that people sign, which I like better than just a blank boring guest book. I think something like that you would be more inclined to look at than just a book with signatures.

There were a few knotties a while back who made a fingerprint tree, which is also a really cute and unique idea! LINK

• ejheart- can you post a pic because that sounds really cute.
  • I saw a good idea on Pinterest of a 'Wishing Well'; instead of a guest book. I ended up making mine for a bout $60.
  • We are doing the thumprint tree and also well wishes and advice cards 
  • tcam2012tcam2012 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2013
    For those doing well wishes or advice, what did you use for the paper?  Regular card stock or notecards or something custom?
  • We made a wishing tree with lighted tree branches and i cut out cardstock paper and put a peacock feather stamp on it w/ pretty ribbon to hang.  We got alot of compliments on it!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_guest-book-alternatives?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:00b3e983-3056-44ac-8e61-e1a625bc3c4aPost:4a4d1a81-a9cb-4c13-9d5a-8a73f65d897c">Re: Guest Book Alternatives</a>:
    [QUOTE]For those doing well wishes or advice, what did you use for the paper?  Regular card stock or notecards or something custom?
    Posted by tcam2012[/QUOTE]

We did advice cards at our engagement party; I got un-lined index cards at Michaels, a bird shaped hole punch, and blue ribbon. I punched 2 holes on the top of the card and threaded the ribbon through and tied it in a knot, they turned out to be really cute! That reminds me that I need to get those into a shadown box frame sometime soon (I mean, seriously, it was only 3 years ago)...
  • I made mine on shutter fly with my e-pics. They have a guestbook template that I really loved. It has pages where people can write things about their wishes for you, predictions for your future, how they know you, etc. That way it's not just boring signatures but people can write interesting things and the e-pics can be put to use as well. I'm very pleased with mine.
  • I had each of our guests sign a fabric square and my mom is making a quilt with all the squares.
  • We did the photobook that otter did.  One user did guest rocks?  She bought smooth stones and left out sharpies and the guests wrote well wishes on the stones and she's got them in a hurricane in her house.
    Anniversary

• Ok... so we decided on advice/best wishes cards.  Made them on Vistaprint last night.  Yay!  They came out super cute :-)  Thanks for the ideas everyone!!!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_guest-book-alternatives?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:00b3e983-3056-44ac-8e61-e1a625bc3c4aPost:f56bc7a6-0518-402d-9a4c-fc8ca166161a">Re: Guest Book Alternatives</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok... so we decided on advice/best wishes cards.  Made them on Vistaprint last night.  Yay!  They came out super cute :-)  Thanks for the ideas everyone!!!
    Posted by tcam2012[/QUOTE]

Nice! I was going to say...I'm not sure exactly what our cards would have been considered. They were just square pieces of paper with pretty designs on the back. I'll try to remember to post a picture of our set-up for you tonight when I get home. :)
    Anniversary
  • We just got our guest book quilt in! I'm so excited. It was super pricey but to have an heirloom like this to be able to hand down through the generations was well worth the cost.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/114625872/wedding-quilt-custom-wedding-guest?ref=usr_faveitems
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards