Not Engaged Yet
Options

Ering question!

Hi girls! FH and I have set a date and I have a dress....I just cant decide on an ering! My former ering was a big center stone that I loved, but took off every chance I got. He is getting the Cartier Love ring for the wedding...as much as I love a big sparkley ring, I might perfer the Cartier Love ring with diamonds and 2 pave bands on each side on wedding day. I want something that I will want to wear all the time and forever but I dont want to look back and with I chose a more traditional ring...
*MyBio-> 07.05.2012* UPDATED: 06/08* Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Ering question!

• Options
    Ana_2985Ana_2985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't vote because it doesn't matter what I think, you just need to decide what you really want.  And what does your BF/FI/FH(?) think?

I don't see anything wrong with either choice as long as you're both happy.

Although, if I'm being completely honest, I would never spend that much money on a plain band with a tiny diamond just because it carries the name "Cartier".  But that's your choice as well.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think you want us to tell you it's okay to get the Cartier.  It sounds like that's where your gut is leading you, but you are afraid others might judge you for not having a traditional ring.

The tradition of an engagement ring isn't that old, and many cultures don't have it.  My British friends think it's foolish.  So in terms of "staying with tradition" I don't think you'll get many objections from the ladies on this board - many of them have stones other than diamonds in their ring, and they LOVE them!

So if you want the Cartier, then it's cool.  Trust your gut - it's all you have to go with.

And yeah, Ana, I totally agree that anything with a name brand is overpriced typically (I won't step FOOT in a Tiffany's to look at rings!).  But clearly this is something that the OP wants, and if her FI is getting a Cartier ring, then they'll match.
  • Options
    Ana_2985Ana_2985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Cate - Yes, I agree with what you said.  Also, I just added that bit at the end because I wasn't sure if this was a "What would you do" question or just "What should I do?".
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What everyone else said. But truthfully I don't even have a clue what you are talking about. The whole fancy name thing doesn't mean anything to me and 99% of the people you meet won't know either so if you want the "non traditional" one because you like it better then get that one, but if you are only getting it because it has some important name that will make people jealous dont bother because 1. people don't really care where you got or who made it 2. you average person won't know thats suppose to be important if you told them. However, if you run in a circle of people who would care then get the expensive one.

Oh and I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to describe with bands on either side of this love ring thing? The way it sounds is you want this love ring or whatever it is and then two other bands with diamonds in them on either side of the cartier thing? I am confused
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_ering-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:c99db6c1-1f7d-4b9b-9d9e-c40e5d57c8b5Post:39219bd6-5104-4c70-8a9a-fc746f2f2bb0">Re: Ering question!</a>:
    [QUOTE]What everyone else said. <strong>But truthfully I don't even have a clue what you are talking about</strong>. The whole fancy name thing doesn't mean anything to me and 99% of the people you meet won't know either so if you want the "non traditional" one because you like it better then get that one, but if you are only getting it because it has some important name that will make people jealous dont bother because 1. people don't really care where you got or who made it 2. you average person won't know thats suppose to be important if you told them. However, if you run in a circle of people who would care then get the expensive one. Oh and I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to describe with bands on either side of this love ring thing? The way it sounds is you want this love ring or whatever it is and then two other bands with diamonds in them on either side of the cartier thing? I am confused
    Posted by chipypony[/QUOTE]
    ditto
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Actually no, I'm not designer obsessed. I only said what the ring was to describe what I was talking about. Both rings cost the same, it's the more traditional style that will attract more attention and if I cared what people thought, thats what I would get for sure. The Cartier ring is very modest and I thought it might be cute to have the same ring as fh.
    *MyBio-> 07.05.2012* UPDATED: 06/08* Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_ering-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:c99db6c1-1f7d-4b9b-9d9e-c40e5d57c8b5Post:39219bd6-5104-4c70-8a9a-fc746f2f2bb0">Re: Ering question!</a>:
    [QUOTE]What everyone else said. But truthfully I don't even have a clue what you are talking about.
    Posted by chipypony[/QUOTE]

Yup. Me too.

Also,

[QUOTE] My former ering was a big center stone that I loved, but took off every chance I got.
    Posted by AJF021410[/QUOTE]

Is this from a previous relationship or did he already buy you a ring?

This post is confusing.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm wondering, are you worried you're going to look back and wish you'd picked the solitaire because the love ring is non-traditional? Or are you worried you won't like the love ring in 20 years because it is [for the lack of a better word] trendy?

If it is the former, then I'd say go for it... not everybody has to have a traditional ring. If it is the latter, then I might be inclined to tell you to get the solitaire. Would it be feasible to get the love ring at another time, say a 5 year anniversary? There's also secret option #3... maybe don't get either? Your apprehension may be a sign that you don't truly love either of the rings, and you need to keep looking.

When it comes down to it, you are going to be the one wearing this thing every day for the rest of your life. It has to be something that you like, and are comfortable with.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks musikbx....I'm gonna sleep on it:)
  • Options
    paintgirlpaintgirl member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I too am a little confused about the descriptions but in general, I would look at a few things:
    1. Will you be comfortable wearing it every day, if you intend to do so? (Will it catch on clothes? Will you be afraid to wear it because of $$ value? Etc)
    2. Will you still like it in 5 years? 10 years? And if you might prefer an upgrade or change of style in that time, will the cost of this one allow that?
    3. If you walk away from the ring for a few days and don't see a picture of it, do you remember it clearly enough to sketch it or desribe it in detail?

I throw in #3 because most of these rings look pretty similar to me. So do wedding dresses. I don't have much of an eye, I guess! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_ering-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:c99db6c1-1f7d-4b9b-9d9e-c40e5d57c8b5Post:4be861cf-5795-430b-9ca4-bfe59ae2c89e">Ering question!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi girls! FH and I have set a date and I have a dress....I just cant decide on an ering! My former ering was a big center stone that I loved, but took off every chance I got. He is getting the Cartier Love ring for the wedding...as much as I love a big sparkley ring, I might perfer the Cartier Love ring with diamonds and 2 pave bands on each side on wedding day. I want something that I will want to wear all the time and forever but I dont want to look back and with I chose a more traditional ring...

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_ering-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:c99db6c1-1f7d-4b9b-9d9e-c40e5d57c8b5Post:27714f1d-0474-41c9-8285-97eb123b3ac1">Re: Ering question!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Actually no, I'm not designer obsessed. I only said what the ring was to describe what I was talking about. Both rings cost the same, it's the more traditional style that will attract more attention and if I cared what people thought, thats what I would get for sure. The Cartier ring is very modest and I thought it might be cute to have the same ring as fh.

This board has already established that your engagement is not valid without a 2ct. flawless diamond engagement ring from Tiffany's.  Seeing as how your prospective ring would not fit that description, your engagement will not be valid.  You must remedy this ASAP!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards