Wedding Etiquette Forum

Flash Mob

I think it would be awesome to have a flash mob at our wedding. But I have a couple concerns and would like some input.

Our guest list has been finalized at 250. How many people should I choose to be in the flash mob? (the caterer offered some of her staff as well)

I'm going to send STD's out soon and thought I should put a slip in peoples envelopes that are invited to be part of the mob now, one when invites go out and then follow up when they RSVP. Too much? Too early? Should I have an RSVP for the flash mob?

FYI the dance will be something easy that most everyone knows already. Something like the macarena or whatever. FI and I will have our first dance and at the very end the music will scratch and then our wedding party will come out and so on.

I'm also concerned that people won't participate either... I'd hate to be up there trying to do a flash mob and have a poor turn out of dancers.

Re: Flash Mob

• I'd leave the flash mobs to Howie Mandel and just enjoy your reception. 
  • I'm not going to say that it's dumb, but you shouldn't ask your guests to perform at your wedding.
  • Ummm, no.  That is weird.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_flash-mob?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:d10ac2aa-84cf-4299-9c04-fa2141ec247aPost:0a81a400-1b41-4493-83e3-ec6b88502014">Re: Flash Mob</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it could be cool in theory.  But you'd really have to make sure that your friends are into that type of thing.  But, I just don't forsee that actually happening perfectly.  Some things are meant to be in movies.
    Posted by crfb87[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know it wouldn't be movie perfect. I've mentioned it to a few friends and they seemed pretty excited so I know some people at least would want to do it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_flash-mob?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:d10ac2aa-84cf-4299-9c04-fa2141ec247aPost:48084091-1033-44cc-9e87-7a102081e7cb">Re: Flash Mob</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not going to say that it's dumb, but you shouldn't ask your guests to perform at your wedding.
    Posted by whitsy[/QUOTE]

I didn't really think of it that way. I mean if it's volunteer wouldn't it be OK?
  • I thought the whole point of a flash mob was so that it would randomly happen and no one but the dancers would know about it? If you send invites to all your guest to participate in the flash mob then it wouldn't really be one. It would just be...dancing.
  • I think it's more likely to turn out awkward than awesome.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_flash-mob?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:d10ac2aa-84cf-4299-9c04-fa2141ec247aPost:3e954cfc-759d-4e0c-8e4c-5d8f376f01f2">Re: Flash Mob</a>:
    [QUOTE]I thought the whole point of a flash mob was so that it would randomly happen and no one but the dancers would know about it? If you send invites to all your guest to participate in the flash mob then it wouldn't really be one. It would just be...dancing.
    Posted by SunriseAmber[/QUOTE]

No, I would only send them to certain people. Maybe like 50-75 of the guests or something like that.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_flash-mob?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d10ac2aa-84cf-4299-9c04-fa2141ec247aPost:5988e36e-5b5a-4cb7-ad0a-5e9ac2d778f1">Re: Flash Mob</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Flash Mob : I didn't really think of it that way. I mean if it's volunteer wouldn't it be OK?
    Posted by ILoveToRobot[/QUOTE]

You're still asking them :) Volunteer in my head is someone who comes up to you and says, "Let's do a flash mob at your wedding!" Guests might feel obligated. Some of them would totally do it, but I just think it's one of those things better left to malls and grocery stores. Not weddings!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_flash-mob?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d10ac2aa-84cf-4299-9c04-fa2141ec247aPost:5988e36e-5b5a-4cb7-ad0a-5e9ac2d778f1">Re: Flash Mob</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Flash Mob : I didn't really think of it that way. I mean if it's volunteer wouldn't it be OK?

But they aren't volunteering, you are putting an insert with instructions in your invitations.

What is the point of this? Are you trying to make your wedding the next youtube sensation?
  • kcscejalkcscejal member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_flash-mob?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d10ac2aa-84cf-4299-9c04-fa2141ec247aPost:5b799ae5-7199-4387-a4c8-88a6be0b51d2">Re: Flash Mob</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Flash Mob : No, I would only send them to certain people. Maybe like 50-75 of the guests or something like that.
    But then it's not <em>really</em> volunteer.  Yeah I guess they could say no, but I think they'll feel pressured to say yes.  And I think word will spread, at least somewhat.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_flash-mob?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:d10ac2aa-84cf-4299-9c04-fa2141ec247aPost:0e81a01b-d975-4040-8579-f2d5ea6ecf63">Re: Flash Mob</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Flash Mob : But they aren't volunteering, you are putting an insert with instructions in your invitations. <strong>What is the point of this? Are you trying to make your wedding the next youtube sensation?
    </strong>Posted by annakb8[/QUOTE]

I just thought it would be fun. I wasn't even thinking about the whole viral thing.
  • Are you goig to have rehearsals before the wedding? How will they know the dance?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_flash-mob?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:d10ac2aa-84cf-4299-9c04-fa2141ec247aPost:ae0a4cc8-e775-4bf5-9846-e16be463cfbb">Re: Flash Mob</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Flash Mob : But then it's not really volunteer.  Yeah I guess they could say no, but I think they'll feel pressured to say yes.  <strong>And I think word will spread, at least somewhat.
    </strong>Posted by kcscejal[/QUOTE]

This is probably very true.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_flash-mob?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:d10ac2aa-84cf-4299-9c04-fa2141ec247aPost:2dc94c43-2508-47d1-8f4c-6a87156e3390">Re: Flash Mob</a>:
    [QUOTE]While I find it cute in theory - I find it awkward.
    Posted by LDYGTR13[/QUOTE]

I agree with this.
    Lizzie
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_flash-mob?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d10ac2aa-84cf-4299-9c04-fa2141ec247aPost:60eaedd4-0972-4817-a126-553616c717cc">Re: Flash Mob</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ummm, no.  That is weird.  
    Posted by bmoruzzi@hotmail.com[/QUOTE]
    AMEN! 

I'd really side eye it.  And if you asked me (which if we were friends you likely would because I'm a pretty playful, goofy person) I'd pass and then the surprise would be ruined because I knew about it.  Not that I'd tell others, but more I suspect that others would say no too.  Then you'd have a bunch of people who said no groaning when it actually happens.
  • Fun things to do at weddings include: eating good food, drinking free booze, dancing in a spontaneous and unchoreographed manner. You don't need anything other than that. You don't even really need the booze.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_flash-mob?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:d10ac2aa-84cf-4299-9c04-fa2141ec247aPost:c08575f0-0c78-48d5-8fac-697903630f70">Re: Flash Mob</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are you goig to have rehearsals before the wedding? How will they know the dance?
    Posted by Birdie1483[/QUOTE]

I think I would've had a web address to go to where they could watch a video. It would have been an easy dance that pretty much everyone knows. Like the electric slide or macarana or whatever.
  • Oh I see that it's going to be the macarana. I dont' think I'd realize it was a flash mob if people suddenly started doing the macarana. I would just think it was a really odd song transition.
  • Don't do this.

You will have to ask guests to do this. They will feel pressured. They will do it & whine about it/ whine behind your back. I assume you will need to practice the dance. So you are basically making these guests be vendors for your wedding.

If you want a flash mob...hire a vendor. As in have strangers come in, crash the wedding, do a flash mob, and then leave. But under no circumstances ask guests or the wedding party to perform at your wedding- that is rude.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_flash-mob?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:d10ac2aa-84cf-4299-9c04-fa2141ec247aPost:133f8800-8c26-4117-8ea7-fb524c74b2fc">Re: Flash Mob</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh I see that it's going to be the macarana. I dont' think I'd realize it was a flash mob if people suddenly started doing the macarana. I would just think it was a really odd song transition.
    Posted by Birdie1483[/QUOTE]

No, I just can't think of a better one right now. Thanks for the thoughts guys I think I'll skip the whole flash mob thing.
  • I think the thing that makes flash mobs cool is that they turn up in places where you wouldn't expect to see a dance, like in a mall, subway station, or on the street.  

People expect to dance at weddings anyway, so it doesn't really make sense to surprise people with dancing.
  • As cheesy as I am, I can't see this working out at a wedding. It sounds like fun though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The one flash mob at a wedding I saw that I liked (it was a video somewhere) was when the bride and groom exited the church, and the groom had planned a flash mob with his GMs and some of their guests, dancing for his bride right after they got married. It was cute (on the church steps), but I also agree with PPs that unless your guests bring it up, I wouldn't ask them to do it.

And I probably wouldn't do it in the reception venue, which would probably be crowded, and as others said, you would already be dancing, so the shock value of people all of a sudden dancing would be lost.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Godawful idea. terrible. 
  • Wait do people actually think flash mobs are cool? You have got to be fvcking with me. 
  • I haven't even read it. But this is definitly one of the stupidest wedding ideas I've ever heard. Your wedding isn't a game show. And if it is, it's a joke.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • Here's the thing, if you ask guests to participate, they might feel pressured to participate. Any guests you don't ask, might feel out of the loop and wonder why they werent asked, regardless if they wanted to dance or not. Furthermore what makes a flash mob is the flash... the element of surprise. Guests breaking out into a dance at a wedding is hardly surprising.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards