Indiana-Indianapolis

Shellac manicure - Where?

I've seen the girls on some of the other boards talking about the shellac manicures and that if done correctly it can last 2, 3, even 4 weeks without chipping.  Anyone know where in the Indianapolis area to go for this?  How much was it?  How long did yours last?

I'm in Fishers so up that way would be best ;-)

Re: Shellac manicure - Where?

• HippieMommyHippieMommy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine only lasted a week.  :(
  • edited December 2011
    Mine peeled off after a week too. :( I went to OP Nails on 86th St in Nora where I've gone for years for acrylics/regular manicures. 
  • edited December 2011
    I called a bunch of places yesterday and got pricing.  I found a place in Carmel that is running a special for $25 (normally $30) that I think I'm going to try.  I know that it has to be put on correctly for it to work so hopefully this place knows what they are doing.

Question:  Did you guys go to one of the asian places or an actual salon/spa?  I found the salon/spas I called wanted more money($30-40) than most of the asian places ($25) but I'm hoping it will be done correctly.
  • edited December 2011
    I have had two. The first one I had them use a color. They are OPI gel colors, limited choices as the line is fairly new. It lasted three weeks, it was great. Never chipped. I did it again with a french manicure, it didn't last a week. They used a regular polish for the white on the tip and then put the shellac finish over it. I would do a color, not a french again....
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_indiana-indianapolis_shellac-manicure?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:611Discussion:4779ebd9-8cbb-4d98-82be-26aa6b90df66Post:c092e5c0-0243-4411-9eb0-fe3fd2772d44">Re: Shellac manicure - Where?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have had two. The first one I had them use a color. They are OPI gel colors, limited choices as the line is fairly new. It lasted three weeks, it was great. Never chipped. I did it again with a french manicure, it didn't last a week. They used a regular polish for the white on the tip and then put the shellac finish over it. I would do a color, not a french again....
    Posted by bpcubel[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip.  It's my understanding that gel is different than shellac.  This is the shellac company - <a href="http://www.cnd.com/Products/Color/shellac-hello.aspx">http://www.cnd.com/Products/Color/shellac-hello.aspx</a>
    It's supposed to look more natural (like real polish) than gel and does less damage to your nails (or so they claim).  I'm going next Tuesday to LaDolce so I will report back ;-)
  • edited December 2011
    Please report back. One other thing a friend told me was to apply a clear coat of polish every few days  to extend the wear ;)
  • edited December 2011
    Well, I got it done today and it is amazing!  She did an excellent job applying it, very detail oriented.  I will report back on wear.

If any of you ladies have gone somewhere and gotten one done and it didn't last, it may have been done incorrectly.  First of all, they need to use alcohol to make sure there is no oil on the nail and my girl used some bonding stuff too.  After applying the base coat (and it has to be the Shellac basecoat) they cure it in the UV light.  Then after each coat (2 color and a special top coat) it cures again before applying the next coat.  You should see that the bottle is the Shellac brand (cnd).  If it isn't, they aren't following the procedure correctly and it won't last as long.
  • edited December 2011
    One week in and mine still look good.  I have some nail growth which is unavoidable but the polish is unchipped and wearing awesome!
  • edited December 2011

That is great to hear. May have to check it out in my area!

• edited December 2011
    Way more worth it than a normal manicure IMO.  She even said she'd do my toes with it before we leave for our mexico destination wedding.  you know how badly sand eats at a pedi! lol
  • jrdoll2jrdoll2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Go to Urth Tones in Fishers! they are awesome!!
  • sarailingsarailing member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    American Nails at 116th and Allisonville does the gel manicures...they are great!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Best Nail Salon in Indy! VN Nails on Fall Creek and Brooks School Road. They do Shallec and they are wonderful. My nails last up to three weeks. Toes even longer. Ask for Jason or Tao.
  • urbancontessaurbancontessa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am doing Creative Nail shellac "no chip" manicures in Carmel and I have a downtown Indianapolis location as well. The manicure is fabulous!  I have never been so impressed with a product. I have been a licensed manicurist for over 17 years. Call me if you are interested in trying. 317-224-4213
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards