Not Engaged Yet

Help Me Paint! Deciding on a blue for my room

So I am moving into a new apartment, and I am trying to decide what color to paint my bedroom.  I really want to paint it some shade of blue, because I slept in very neutral colored rooms for the past 5 years or so.  I'm having a blue period or something, I don't know.

Anyway, I've kind of narrowed it down to three colors at Benjamin Moore (best deal I've found and I have to drop off paints tomorrow to the apt manager's office), but everyone likes something diiferent!  BF likes one, family likes another, so I figured I'd see if you guys could point out something different that could tip things one way or another.

My new bedroom will get a decent amount of light during the spring and summer, but it needs to work in bright light and very little light.

So without further ado, the links:

Made a poll for convenience, and feel free to vote "why the sh*t are you painting your room blue?!?"

Re: Help Me Paint! Deciding on a blue for my room

• They'll all work. They are all pretty blues.

p.s. I TOTALLY associate this type of blue with you. Must be your avatar?
  • I chose I love polls because I cant tell the difference between 1 and 3 at all. Note I do have some issues with shades despite being a female. Its not full blown color blind but things that are only 1-2 shades off ruin me every time.

I also feel the dark one would be just too much for me in a room bigger than a small bathroom. I however lean towards rich earthy tones and gem tones like taupe, olive green, eggplant, and maroon.
    DIStickers.com Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_help-me-paint-deciding-on-a-blue-for-my-room?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:35fb6668-63b9-4a15-8938-3b68064dc3b0Post:b7fd3862-c6f0-46bf-8aff-804cb0462b10">Re: Help Me Paint! Deciding on a blue for my room</a>:
    [QUOTE]They'll all work. They are all pretty blues. p.s. I TOTALLY associate this type of blue with you. Must be your avatar?
    Posted by jenjenniferf[/QUOTE]

<div>Hahahaha I didn't even think of it like that!  Awesome.</div><div>
    </div><div>I'm kind of leaning away from the darker blue.  As the other poster commented, it'd take a lot more light to brighten up and I'd like it to be as naturally light as possible while still maintaining a bold/bright vibe.</div>
  • I liked #3 as well.

Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_help-me-paint-deciding-on-a-blue-for-my-room?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:35fb6668-63b9-4a15-8938-3b68064dc3b0Post:0493fb98-50d1-413a-b30d-2a08bc94a72a">Re: Help Me Paint! Deciding on a blue for my room</a>:
    [QUOTE]I need information on your furniture before making a decision.
    Posted by hellotarra[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This. I need to know your style, and if there's any certain decoration that absolutely has to be in your room.

</div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Elle1036Elle1036 member
    5000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 25 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2012
    I'm not crazy about any of them, actually.  They all say "baby boy nursery" to me.  I'm a big fan of blue...  just not those blues.

What about a darker, grayer blue?  http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/yinyang

Just my opinion.
  • I picked none of the above because I have a better option:
    Behr Rain Washed.  It's in my bedroom (well, my old bedroom in the house I still own but don't live in but still stay there like 4 nights a month because my schedule/life is too complicated)  I love it in there. 
  • Thanks Elle, I didn't even consider the nursery connection! I was going for more of a beach / blue skies feel, so your association is good to mull around. And at first I thought a grayish blue would be too dark, but... ...Meg, that color rocks!!! I might need to expand my selections and look at that family. I don't have tons of furniture that requires a certain color: have a large trunk from Oman that has very dark wood and gold detailing, very AfroArab traditional feel. I may be overthinking all this, but this is my new place for at least the next year, so thank you all for your comments!!
  • I love Meg's option.  I also love Elle's option...
  • I ended up going with Elle's darker blue, the Yin Yang.  It was the across the board favorite for eveyone (including BF which I was surprised about).

Rain Washed is soooo going on the super short list for kitchen/dining room color!!

Thanks again, NEY, you guys are great.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards