Not Engaged Yet
Options

Ideas please!

We're thinking of doing an international theme to the wedding - sort of a "no matter where we travel, we will always have the other as our home" idea.  It is suiting because he's in the military so we'll likely spend long periods of time apart, and we've both traveled a lot, independently and together.

The overarching style of our wedding is antique garden party, with hydrangea blue and highlights of muted antique gold and pops of peach and pink and yellow.

Now I need ideas!

Here's some of the thoughts we had, let me know what you think of them and if you have other ideas:

1) We have a lighthouse on the property that will be visible during our ceremony.  I was thinking of including some wording in the ceremony about how lighthouses helped guide people home, and how our marriage will be the lighthouse in our lives, guiding the other back home no matter where we may travel and keeping the other in our hearts while we're apart.

2) Antique plane tickets for STDs, or maybe antique post cards?

3) Maps as the background for the table numbers - maybe city names as table names?  Would they have to be cities we've both traveled together, or just any city one of us has visited?  Should we include a story or a picture or something?

4) International themed stations for dinner - Europe, Asia, Latin America.  We want people to move around and try different foods. 

Anniversary

Re: Ideas please!

• Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I really like ideas 2, 3, and 4.  The first one, to me, was just cheesy.
  • Options
    desertsundesertsun member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_ideas-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:2bde45e9-d8f4-4a7b-ab86-23e80b81c848Post:3f2ad834-3961-446b-8fdf-72eacd2b2c2c">Re: Ideas please!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I really like ideas 2, 3, and 4.  The first one, to me, was just cheesy.
    Posted by Elle1036[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Ditto!</div><div>
    </div><div>

</div>
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_ideas-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:2bde45e9-d8f4-4a7b-ab86-23e80b81c848Post:3f2ad834-3961-446b-8fdf-72eacd2b2c2c">Re: Ideas please!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I really like ideas 2, 3, and 4.  The first one, to me, was just cheesy.
    Posted by Elle1036[/QUOTE]

Agreed. But if that's what you want then you should do it.

Also, Iove the idea of naming the tables after places you have traveled together. M and I have kinda discussed that and think it would be a really cute idea for us to do in the future.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    AudgiePodgeAudgiePodge member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I really like number 2.
    I'm not good at feelings.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_ideas-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:2bde45e9-d8f4-4a7b-ab86-23e80b81c848Post:d22face3-a95a-46af-83d7-08d4dd079920">Re: Ideas please!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ideas please! : Agreed. But if that's what you want then you should do it. Also, <strong>Iove the idea of naming the tables after places you have traveled together</strong>. M and I have kinda discussed that and think it would be a really cute idea for us to do in the future.
    Posted by AJesteram[/QUOTE]
    Yeah I love that idea too! At one point we were thinking about doing that and also maybe putting like a picture of us from that place at each table, and maybe a little story about that trip / picture.

The international food stations sound tasty too. Yum.
    Married! :) 5/19/12 The Domesticals

• Options
    MLekathLEENMLekathLEEN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Naming tables aggravates me because then people have to search and who knows how the bride and groom organized them. Are they alphabetical? by continent? This may be just me though.

I'd name them but have them listed as numbers to assist people...or a map of the venue with the places listed. Instead of circles on the map, they could be shaped like that city/country/etc.. That actually sounds kind of cute. Who knows if it would work though..now I'm rambling and thinking outloud.

ETA: I really do like the idea of each table being named after a certain place :)

• Options
    KatyRoseMKatyRoseM member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also don't like the named tables, its hard to find.  I love the STD's though.
  • Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    edited December 2011
    Cate, a college frined of mine had a simiar theme for her wedding, and they decorated their cake with postcards (framed in glass to keep them from getting all icing-y).  If I remember right, it was a square cake, and every corner of every tier had a post card propped against it.

I looked for a picture but couldn't find it on facebook.  I'll keep looking, though.  It was really cute.
  • Options
    PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like 2,3,4.  I would make sure the tables have real numbers tho (like EKath said) b/c it can get confusing otherwise.  Antique maps would be cool...to keep with the antique theme.

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • Options
    sparkles88sparkles88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Liv stole my idea. I think those vintage, trunk-style suitcases with stickers on them are really awesome. I think they could be good as centerpieces or even favors if you could find small ones from a party supply store. It would be neat to stuff those mini suitcases with candy/cookies/etc.
  • Options
    hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it would be really cool if you could somehow make the table tops a compass rose.

Also, maybe think about shrinking the food areas, Asia is rather.... large. Thai food is VERY different then say, Mongolian food.

Same with Europe and Latin America.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    edited December 2011
    I found the cake picture.  I was a little wrong in how I remembered it (for one, they decorated it with places they've lived, not places they've traveled) but it still translates.  I think it's really cute.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I came across this page one time and fell in love with the globes:

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just throwin' it out there....
    http://brasspaperclip.typepad.com/.a/6a00e398202d3d88330133f2ddefd2970b-800wi

would work really nicely at your venue.

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Since you want something travel-related and international, I just thought of a German expression of which I am not sure whether it is also common in the Anglo-Saxon world. We refer to married life as the "harbor of marriage" (Hafen der Ehe). That would work with the lighthouse.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    you could use airmail envelopes to mail your invitations. 
    you can find them on etsy...like this

you could make those invitations like a passport where each page had different info and they could tear out the reply card. or you could do the awesome boarding pass idea. both would be great.

i would highly recommend vintage travel posters. i have my office at work decorated in them and they're so fun and whimsical. you can find them in bright colors or in faded antique colors online. try etsy or allposters.com

• Options
    SassyFlatsSassyFlats member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_ideas-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:2bde45e9-d8f4-4a7b-ab86-23e80b81c848Post:eef8b136-8563-436d-8361-c9a8cde6d10c">Re: Ideas please!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just throwin' it out there.... <a href="http://brasspaperclip.typepad.com/.a/6a00e398202d3d88330133f2ddefd2970b-800wi" rel='nofollow'>http://brasspaperclip.typepad.com/.a/6a00e398202d3d88330133f2ddefd2970b-800wi</a> would work really nicely at your venue.
    Posted by PaigeMcC[/QUOTE]

I really love the link Paige posted. I think you could really work with that sort of idea.

One thing I would caution is narrow things down a little. It's very easy to get caught up in a dozen ideas and go overboard. As time goes by, you'll find opportunities to whittle down your list of ideas and focus on specifics. I think that having a quote or message or something can be okay... but you need to consider refining the wording or looking for an actual quote that expresses what you want to say about marriage.

Just remember, sometimes less is more. It lets the details you DO go for stand out beautifully.
    Daisypath Graduation tickers

Married to my best friend, making our way together through this crazy, mixed-up thing we call life.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I really like the idea of postcards as save the dates, or wedding invites.  To me, there is something more romantic and meaningful about postcards. 

I love the sound of your wedding!!  I really like the idea of incorporating lighthouses into the wedding, if you have one there you may as well put it to good use.
  • Options
    thejessythejessy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If and WHEN I get married lol I know I want to do a travel theme because my BF and I met while we were both training for the airline I work for now (he has since gone home, but now flies for a domestic airline in S. Africa).

I wanted to do postcards for STDs or even for the invite - the RSVP, I thought that might be cute! That way they can send the postcard back and you can keep them in a scrapbook or something, or use them as decorations at the wedding?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards