New York-New York City

Marriage License - Queens or Manhatten Office?

Hey Knotties,

we are german tourists and want to get married at NYC on 12/12/12. We arrive one day before. Now we think about which Marriage Bureau we should take. We want to fill up the form online from germany.

Which one have you take? How long was your waiting time?

Queens is much more nearer at JFK-Airport but i have found some bad information by yelp of the queens office and they dont talk nice about the office and the waiting time there.

Many thanks for your help!

Re: Marriage License - Queens or Manhatten Office?

• Fill out the paperwork online and it speeds up the process when you get to the marriage bureau.  Please note that there is a 24 hour waiting period before you can have the ceremony.  You can file the paperwork in queens and go to Manhattan for the ceremony.  The Manhattan location is a lot nicer for the ceremony.  If you really insist on getting married on 12/12/12, then I would change your flight to come on 12/10/12 to make sure you have enough time to file the paperwork and get married on 12/12/12 because of the 24 hour waiting period. I hope this helps.
  • The previous poseter is right - you should not be cutting the timing so close, because of the 24-hour wait period.  You should allow at least 2 days to arrive in NYC and get the license, not just 1 day, because if you're delayed, you could miss your 12/12/12 date!

We got our license at the Manhattan office the week before our wedding, on a Tuesday morning.  The office opens at 8:30 a.m, and we got there around 8:10-8:15, and were the 4th in line.  Once the office opened, it took only about 10 minutes to get through to get the license.  Then, on the day of our wedding (a Friday afternoon) we arrived back at the Manhattan office at 2:30 p.m., and it took almost 2.5 hours to get married -- it was crazy busy.

Also note that the office closes its door at 3:45 in the afternoon, so you have to be in by then to either get the license or get married on that day.

Good luck!  Getting married at the marriage bureau is really fun, you're going to love it.
  • DON't GO TO THE QUEENS OFFICE!!!  Sorry for screaming but seriously it is a nightmare!  If you are coming all the way to NY to get married you definitely don't want to do it there, it's very sad looking.  I only went there for my license and that took over 2 hours.  Like Precious said, you will probably need more time.  Depending on when you arrive you will need to hurry to get the license and then wait 24 hours before going back to the bureau to get married.
    weddingcake-1
  • Dear Knotties,

many thanks for your helpful response.

We try the Manhatten Office.

We hope also you all stay safe at Hurricane Sandy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards