Military Brides
Options

Getting Married while in Tech School.

My Fiance and I are planning on getting married in either November or December, he should be near the end of his technical training around that time but I was just curious as to if he needed to get special permission from any of his superiors. Any help you ladies could give would be appreciated!

Re: Getting Married while in Tech School.

• Options
    I don't know what branch of the military your FI is in, but I know in the Marine Corps it varies by unit. Some will tell you that he needs to talk to his higher ups before getting married, and others have just gone and done it without saying anything at all. With my H's unit, he had to let his higher ups know that he would be getting married, and then he was also required to take premarital and financial planning classes through the military.

Your best bet would be to have your FI go and talk to someone and find out for sure. Like I said, I don't know what branch he's in or how things like that work for other branches, but that was my experience! Good luck!
  • Options
    Also, will he be finished with tech school? Are you waiting until he's done? Are you sure he will be able to get leave right after or will he have to report to his duty station? He needs to ask those questions too. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_getting-married-while-in-tech-school?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:e2c91986-e161-488e-920b-0a6981b45fb7Post:b5e026cf-7725-4c8a-8150-e8f740989854">Getting Married while in Tech School.</a>:
    [QUOTE]My Fiance and I are planning on getting married in either November or December, he should be near the end of his technical training around that time but <strong>I was just curious as to if he needed to get special permission from any of his superiors.</strong> Any help you ladies could give would be appreciated!
    Posted by achapman09[/QUOTE]
    I would ask someone in his command.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    He's in the Air Force! He hasn't started school yet but is due to start next week I think? But it would be a weekend wedding and we probably wouldn't honeymoon until Christmas. He just got his computer today so we are both doing research. Thank you!!
  • Options
    You should wait until he is done with school.  He'll have a better idea of when he'll get leave.  If you are hell bound to do it durring training, he needs to talk to his chain of command.  I'm not sure about the AF, but many Army training units forbid getting married during training unless it is a really long training period.  Part of the paperwork I had to sign said I would not drink, smoke, get married, drive or have sex.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_getting-married-while-in-tech-school?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:e2c91986-e161-488e-920b-0a6981b45fb7Post:c0f41747-44c9-4f05-b99c-772eb4898cab">Re: Getting Married while in Tech School.</a>:
    [QUOTE]He's in the Air Force! He hasn't started school yet but is due to start next week I think? But it would be a weekend wedding and we probably wouldn't honeymoon until Christmas. He just got his computer today so we are both doing research. Thank you!!
    Posted by achapman09[/QUOTE]

AF doesn't say you can't get married in Tech School. When I went through tech, there were quite a few JOP weddings in my training flight. If that's what you're planning, it is definitely do-able, as long as he is in the proper phase of his training to allow him to go off base. He needs to talk to his MTL to get a better idea of what he is allowed to do and when to expect phase-ups. Also, if he plans to stay off base that night, he will have to get permission  and that could take some time, so he needs to ask right away. He also needs to stay out of trouble, as he can be on track to be in the right phase and then get phased back if he fails a block or gets in trouble.  Definitely have him talk to the MTLs, since I'm sure they deal with these questions every new class of trainees they see. Good Luck!  (Oh, and just curious, do you know what his job is?)
  • Options
    Thank you for  all your help!! He's going to talk to his MTL and it won't be a JOP but our Honeymoon will just be a little delayed until he can get leave. But it's worth it he will be heading to his first duty station around January and if we are married before he graduates then i will be on his orders and can travel with him as long as its an accomanied tour.

CozyHeart13: he's doing something with communication Intelligence and that's about all im allowed to know!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards