African American Weddings

It's my turn to say Goodbye..off to get married...(long)

I wanted to thank you ladies for all the good laughs and support throughout this wedding process.  I got engaged on October 24, 2008 and joined the knot in December of that year.  Unfortunately, I did not realize there were message boards until August of 2009.  So I feel a little short changed.  This wedding process had its ups and downs.  Though my venue was booked in January of this year, I did not start my wedding planning until May 2009. 

I picked up my wedding gown this past Saturday in my hometown “New York City”.  When I walked into the bridal salon, I was greeted by my name which made me feel special being that this is one of the largest bridal salons in Manhattan.  I hugged everyone good bye and thanked them for making my day special. As one of the store managers carried my gown out to the car I started to get a little emotional.  This is finally it!  Where have the months gone?

It’s my turn to say goodbye ladies.  I never expected to get married at St. Peters Estate, a mansion over looking one of the most renowned beaches in the world.  This mansion sits on a mountain with an amazing view and is known for its botanical gardens, a major tourist attraction.  We were able to close down the premise and have the entire estate for our wedding. 

I am so excited and proud to have a great wedding planning team many miles away to pull this off for us. We made a vow to make this experience the best destination wedding for our guests spearing no costs!   We realized the sacrifice our guests were making by traveling during the economic time and upgraded our wedding to make it memorable for them.   But most importantly, I think Suze Orman would be proud of FI and me for pulling off this wedding without incurring credit card debt or using funds from our savings. (it was tough...no black Friday shopping for me or eating out for lunch)

Thanks to the knot, I was able to meet some wonderful ladies and some life long friends.  Thanks to the knot I meet “KimRhone—AAW Knottie” fellow New Yorker who came out to celebrate my Bachelorette Party this past weekend.  I know we will be friends for many years to come (tear).

My words of wisdom- “Stay true to yourself and follow your heart.” (People will attack during this process)

Re: It's my turn to say Goodbye..off to get married...(long)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards