Wedding Etiquette Forum

Bad thank you note?

So this is the gist of my thank you notes (wording changing slightly depending on gift and person):

"Dear Guest, thank you so much for celebrating our (insert wedding phrase) with us.  And thank you so much for your very generous/lovely/beautiful (insert gift)!  We used it for/It looks perfect in our (insert use/place).  It was so fantastic seeing you and we hope to see you again soon!  Much Love, Nugs and Noodle"

Is that too short?  Do I need to add more?  I'm usually a blabbermouth, so it feels odd writing a short note but I don't want to get too wordy and for some of these folks I really just don't have more to say.

Bonus Question: What's the worst/funniest/latest/most etiquette bashing thank you note you or someone you know got?

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

Re: Bad thank you note?

• That looks good to me.  It's fine to keep it short and to the point.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think that's fine.  Considering most people don't even send thank you notes or send them a year later I personally appreciate anything that is more than "Thanks for coming!" that comes "on time". 
    My Bio Updated 4/6/10
  • I think that's generally fine.  If you know your relatives are going to pass them around and compare you may want to change it up a little for some of theirs.  My Granny always wants to see the notes her kids get from people to compare to hers, so when I write notes to them I always try to make each a little different. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bad-thank?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:adea06ce-0526-4c59-8309-611088d76b18Post:19f570aa-022b-4086-8c83-7ef817449e3d">Re: Bad thank you note?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think that's generally fine.  If you know your relatives are going to pass them around and compare you may want to change it up a little for some of theirs.  My Granny always wants to see the notes her kids get from people to compare to hers, so when I write notes to them I always try to make each a little different. 
    Posted by pirategal03[/QUOTE]

No offense to your Granny (who I am sure is  just lovely in person) but that KILLS me.  Come on!  Out of 200 TY notes they aren't all going to be unique works of art. 
    My Bio Updated 4/6/10
  • Looks great.  The only thing I would add is if the gift was something particularly special or the card said something memorable.  I gave a friend of mine this red serving plate for her wedding.  It turns out she typically uses this type of plate for birthdays, which I am a BIG fan of (birthdays that is).  So she mentioned the coincidence in the card.

Other than that, the wording looks exactly what I typically write.
  • I think that's fine.  The worst TY I've ever received was a printer-generated fill-in-the-blank that said Dear _____________.  Thank you for your gift.  We appreciate it very much. 

That was it!  Signed by the bride & groom.  They suck. 
  • I think that's fine. It sounds like you will end up tweaking them each a little, so its a good length.

I got a TY note 5 months after a wedding that was printed on the computer. It said something along the lines of:

Thank you for attending our wedding. Your generous gift of _________________ was very thoughtful and we love it so much.
    XOXO- Bride and Groom.

Yes, that is a blank there, and she flled in what present was given.
    Photobucket
  • that's fine, but i always like to make it more personal for close friends and family who i remember sharing a special moment with durnig the wedding weeked.  (ie: your breakdance routine to brick house was awesome! and thanks for the silverware, we can't wait to use it in our new house)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bad-thank?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:adea06ce-0526-4c59-8309-611088d76b18Post:0c9c9a7f-59c4-40c0-904c-eae5c24b3a72">Re: Bad thank you note?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think that's fine.  The worst TY I've ever received was a printer-generated fill-in-the-blank that said Dear _____________.  Thank you for your gift.  We appreciate it very much.  That was it!  Signed by the bride & groom.  They suck. 
    Posted by ohwhynot[/QUOTE]

OWN, we must have gone to the same wedding. Although, the B&G in my case, didn't actually bother to write out the guest's name, only what the gift was.
    Photobucket
  • The worst one I got was from a bride who had this hugely expensive wedding at The Drake in Chicago complete with a designer cake and a Vera Wang gown.  The note?  It was a picture of them on their wedding day and all it said was "Thanks for coming!".  Um, yes.  What about $100 check I gave you?  If you don't like it I don't mind taking it back.   Just throwing that out there...
    My Bio Updated 4/6/10
  • I haven't seen any terrible Thank You notes in a while... but last year my great-aunt literally wrote in my birthday card that "I think the end is near and this might be the last card I send you."
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bad-thank?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:adea06ce-0526-4c59-8309-611088d76b18Post:46c36798-3938-449f-80e0-aa390124c89f">Re: Bad thank you note?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think that's fine. It sounds like you will end up tweaking them each a little, so its a good length. I got a TY note 5 months after a wedding that was printed on the computer. It said something along the lines of: Thank you for attending our wedding. Your generous gift of _________________ was very thoughtful and we love it so much. XOXO- Bride and Groom. Yes, that is a blank there, and she flled in what present was given.
    Posted by mags0607[/QUOTE]

Ok, not to go all Emily Post-al, but don't people understand the niceity of a handwritten thank you note.

Although FI swears that he has NEVER received a TY note from any of his friends, so at least these people are one step above them.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bad-thank?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:adea06ce-0526-4c59-8309-611088d76b18Post:0c9c9a7f-59c4-40c0-904c-eae5c24b3a72">Re: Bad thank you note?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think that's fine.  The worst TY I've ever received was a printer-generated fill-in-the-blank that said Dear _____________.  Thank you for your gift.  We appreciate it very much.  That was it!  Signed by the bride & groom.  They suck. 
    Posted by ohwhynot[/QUOTE]

OH WOW - that's pretty lame.  They have kid thank you notes out now that are more personalized then that.  They help kids learn how to write thank you notes by making them fill in the name, present and why they like it.  But I don't even let Jocelyn stop at that (well of course I write it for her) but then I make her draw a picture in it too.  That's just plain lazy.
  • I think your note looks fine.

I just received a thank you card for a wedding we went to in early May (Yay, on time!) that said simply "Thank you for sharing on our special day!"  Ummm.. you're welcome.  Glad you appreciated the $100 check we threw your way, too.
    Laura
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bad-thank?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:adea06ce-0526-4c59-8309-611088d76b18Post:51510c7f-d72c-407a-ac5a-8c932516921e">Re: Bad thank you note?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bad thank you note? : No offense to your Granny (who I am sure is  just lovely in person) but that KILLS me.  Come on!  Out of 200 TY notes they aren't all going to be unique works of art. 
    Posted by andyandhillary[/QUOTE]

I agree.  But it's not that hard to write 2 really unique ones so the 3 I know she'll see will all be different.  It's a know your crowd kind of thing. 
  • edited June 2010
    The worst TY note I received was one I wrote myself.  Bride's mother complained the cards were not big enough to write a nice thank you on.  I took one of the cards and wrote a generic thank you to show that the cards would be fine. 

After the wedding received the exact card I wrote on with the couples signature, very weird seeing my own handwriting thanking me. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bad-thank?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:adea06ce-0526-4c59-8309-611088d76b18Post:9398c64c-a9f8-406e-9ec0-a823d8703557">Re: Bad thank you note?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The worst TY note I received was one I wrote myself.  Bride's mother complained the cards were not big enough to write a nice thank you on.  I took one of the cards and wrote a generic thank you to show that the cards would be fine.  After the wedding received the exact card I wrote on with the couples signature, very weird seeing my own handwriting thanking me. 
    Posted by SheDiva4[/QUOTE]

WTF!  Now that's just lazy.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• No terrible TY's lately.  FI and I did just recieve a wedding invite to Mr. and Mrs. jnic

1. we're not married yet
    2. why my last name

It was strange and totally threw me off thinking his college roommate invited my parents
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bad-thank?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:adea06ce-0526-4c59-8309-611088d76b18Post:1610ce5d-a3eb-4c4d-9e25-b38cde426612">Re: Bad thank you note?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think your note looks fine. I just received a thank you card for a wedding we went to in early May (Yay, on time!) that said simply "Thank you for sharing on our special day!"  Ummm.. you're welcome.  Glad you appreciated the $100 check we threw your way, too.
    Posted by xoxpipahxox[/QUOTE]

This would bother me...maybe they forgot?
  • Tim wrote a TY to one of our friends who got us a set of ramekins.  It said,

Dear Friend,

Thank you so much for the ramekins.  We will put very tiny servings of food in them.

Love,
    Brie and Tim
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bad-thank?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:adea06ce-0526-4c59-8309-611088d76b18Post:a63a8ccb-960e-4612-9603-a744ecf7e08e">Re: Bad thank you note?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I haven't seen any terrible Thank You notes in a while... but last year my great-aunt literally wrote in my birthday card that "I think the end is near and this might be the last card I send you."
    Posted by akhensley81[/QUOTE]

haha yikes!  That would disturb me.
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bad-thank?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:adea06ce-0526-4c59-8309-611088d76b18Post:a53b7a0b-82f5-47c7-aade-d65f39938be6">Re: Bad thank you note?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bad thank you note? : This would bother me...maybe they forgot?
    Posted by L-Bride[/QUOTE]

Maybe, however they did not forget to deposit said check the Monday following their Saturday wedding.
    Laura
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bad-thank?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:adea06ce-0526-4c59-8309-611088d76b18Post:bed600c8-961c-4c60-b8a5-e836f7e30586">Re: Bad thank you note?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The worst one I got was from a bride who had this hugely expensive wedding at The Drake in Chicago complete with a designer cake and a Vera Wang gown.  The note?  It was a picture of them on their wedding day and all it said was "Thanks for coming!".  Um, yes.  What about $100 check I gave you?  If you don't like it I don't mind taking it back.   Just throwing that out there...
    Posted by andyandhillary[/QUOTE]

I would have called them up and said, "So, did you get my gift? I wasn't sure. You never mentioned it."
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bad-thank?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:adea06ce-0526-4c59-8309-611088d76b18Post:d9f9b676-3e61-4a35-86fb-afae54454bff">Re: Bad thank you note?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Tim wrote a TY to one of our friends who got us a set of ramekins.  It said, Dear Friend, Thank you so much for the ramekins.  We will put very tiny servings of food in them. Love, Brie and Tim
    Posted by Brie2010[/QUOTE]

Ha!  That is so awesome.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bad-thank?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:adea06ce-0526-4c59-8309-611088d76b18Post:d9f9b676-3e61-4a35-86fb-afae54454bff">Re: Bad thank you note?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Tim wrote a TY to one of our friends who got us a set of ramekins.  It said, Dear Friend, Thank you so much for the ramekins.  We will put very tiny servings of food in them. Love, Brie and Tim

That is HILARIOUS.

The last TY note we got was 6 months after the wedding. It was a nice note and all, complete with a stamp with one of their e-pics on it. It was written by FI's cousin, and I'm SURE his wife was all, "you need to make it longer! Fill the page!" which is probably why they took him so long. It was a really nice note, though. Fi looked at me and said, "Um, I was planning on writing like 2-3 sentences?" I told him that was fine!
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Brie, that's pretty funny.

I did get a TY note from one of our friend's whose wedding I was in that was hilarious. FI and I went in with one of the other BMs and got them a Margaritaville machine.

The TY note said:

Dear friends,

Misti and Kyle would have loved to thank you for their Margaritaville machine, but they got too tanked while writing these TY notes in order to do so properly. Please forgive their debauchery and come join them for a drink soon.

Love- The JB Margaritaville machine.

You have to know them, because this is just how they are, but I still have that note, because I loved it.
    Photobucket
  • It was one of our friends who would totally think it was funny and wouldn't be offended, so I let it go. He was really proud of himself.

Didn't sucrets' H write a TY note saying, "Thank you for the frying pan.  It will come in handy in zombie attacks"?
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bad-thank?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:adea06ce-0526-4c59-8309-611088d76b18Post:d9f9b676-3e61-4a35-86fb-afae54454bff">Re: Bad thank you note?</a>:

Haha, that's hilarious!
  • We mailed a TY to H's aunt and uncle, who gave us a very generous gift.  Apparently, it was sent to the return address, for some reason, though.  And the stupid freaking post office forwarded it to H's ex-wife.  Who called him, called me an idiot, and threw the note away.  I was STEAMED at her and at the post office. 

H called the post office and SWEARS the mail forwarding issue is fixed, but I am not a happy camper about this at all.  Yet another reason I hate our house. . .
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Oh Squirrly, that really sucks.  And F her for calling you an idiot.  Like you had any control over it!

Mags, the margarita machine story is funny too!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards