Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Top Coat?

Does anyone have reccomendations for a great topcoat? I've tried everything from OPI to Sally Hansen and I can't find a topcoat that keeps my polish fresh for longer than a day.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

September 2011 Siggy Challenge: Ceremony Location

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Top Coat?

• http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Nail-Design-Shiney-Topcoat/dp/B000VUXC40

Check out that link. The topcoat is used and recommended by many cosmetologists. also check out Sephora.com for topcoats.

• seche vite - it's professional so you may have to get it at a salon if they don't have it at a sally's. i really like it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Seche Vite

Glenna Harding Photography
  • I'm actually a cosmetologist myself, so I can probably get Seche Vite at my beauty supplier. Thanks for all the help ladies! =)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited July 2010
    Seche Vite is great and Creative Super Shiny. A LOT goes into doing your nails, and it may not be the top coat, but you may not be properly dehydrating your nail before applying your base coat. You also need to be sure to coat the free edge when polishing or your polish will chip right off. If you have oily nailbeds you may need a product like Bond Aid. Also, a little trick I tell clients who are going on vacation after their mani/pedi is to apply one coat of top coat daily to protect polish. It usually gets them an extra few days out of the polish. You also need to be careful with polish. It's no longer tacky after about an hour, but it does not fully cure for about 24 hours, so it's still possible to ding them (which will cause chips later), or to disrupt the curing process. After doing your nails you have to take it easy, no chores, dishes, etc., for 24 hours, and wear gloves for everything.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit NewHampshire.Weddings.com
  • I'm actually OPI certified, and I use bond aid as well. lol maybe I'm not letting them sit long enough? It's tough with my hands being in water on and off all day doing hair. A friend suggested getting gel overlays, but I hate how my nails feel after I have the gels taken off. Thanks for all the tips, though! I think I need to invest in the Seche Vite!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited July 2010
    The water will do it! I wear gloves for pedis and when I do facials for that very reason, it wreaks havoc on my nails. Polish needs to sit for at least a few hours before you start doing things, 24 before you can treat your nails like nails, LOL. Also, when you buff, do you leave the dust on the nail or wipe it off with your thumb? If you wipe, you're defeating part of the purpose and you're adding your oils back to the nail.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit NewHampshire.Weddings.com
  • I like Essie's Super Duper top coat and Seche Vite.
  • ** I HAVE THE ANSWER!! GET SHELLAC NAIL POLISH DONE BY CND!!!! **

Instead of getting a really good top coat that makes your mani last looking nice and doesn't chip a few days long.... why don't you get Shellac nail polish manicure done?  You have to get it done at a salon, but it is WELL worth it!!!! It DOESN'T chip, smudge, or anything for weeks, the only reason you need to get it redone is when there is significant growth between polish and the nail bed (like with acrylic, gels, pink and white, etc.). Click THIS  to go to the site where where you can read more about it. Find a spa/salon by you that does it:
     http://www.cnd.com/Locate/Shellac-Find-A-Salon.aspx

I ditched manicures because I'd pay $15 for it to look good for 2-3 days. The past 2 months i've gotten the Shellac done twice...its exactly how the website claims it is.  For just over 3 weeks they looked shiny, and perfect like I had gotten a mani that day!!  I get luck because my nails grow slow, typically theres a space after 2 weeks...and it cost $28..almost twice a regular mani, but it lasts 3xs a reg. mani!

I PROMISE YOU'LL be amazed and never want to go back to regular nail polish though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards