Military Brides

Shopping Vent

So I went shopping yesterday and ended up at my old standby Old Navy.  They are having a super sale on jeans.   I thought I would luck out and get some really cheap.  I didn't want to spend a lot on them since I am trying to lose weight.  Old Navy is my go to for jeans.  So I started to try them on.  To my shock and disgust every one of them are "skinny cut" or "super skinny cute."  I was not sure you could get a smaller cut than "skinny cut."  They were dreadful.  I mean I think that maybe a teen boy could fit into those jeans!

It left thinking who in the world designed these jeans and why.  I mean I am not super skinny.  I wear about a 10-12 range however the jeans in this size didn't even reach past my thighs because the legs were cut to skinny. 

I just annoyed me because not everyone is "skinny cut" type of jeans person.  I ended up finding a pair at Dress Barn of all places.  They fit the normal curves of a woman.  Oh and by the way Dress Barn is not your mother's store any more.  They have some really cute stuff.

Sorry about the vent! I just wanted to scream!

Re: Shopping Vent

• AmandaSC1988AmandaSC1988 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I HATE old navy/gap (Banana Republic is okay..) They make me feel awkwardly small.

To me a size is just a number, I  don't care what size I wear as long as it fits...but Old Navy/ Gap feeds the egos of women that think the number matters. Their sizes run about 2 sizes large.  (please don't hate me for being skinny) I can't fit into any of their pants, they don't have negative numbers... 00 are still awkwardly large. I went sweater shopping last spring and none of their sweaters fit, even the XXS was too big. And I'm not THAT small.

I hate shopping because of stores like that. They make me feel like I am a freak.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I hate jean shopping for this reason.  You find a place you love to buy jeans and somehow they switch things in the way they make them and you're screwed.  That really sucks.  I'm glad you ended up finding some jeans though.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_shopping-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:d8d68a6e-2612-4e2a-b4c7-80c9fbf290f4Post:b6d9fd30-0565-4b51-b8f8-d2179338502a">Re: Shopping Vent</a>:
    [QUOTE]I HATE old navy/gap (Banana Republic is okay..) They make me feel awkwardly small. To me a size is just a number, I  don't care what size I wear as long as it fits...but Old Navy/ Gap feeds the egos of women that think the number matters. Their sizes run about 2 sizes large.  (please don't hate me for being skinny) I can't fit into any of their pants, they don't have negative numbers... 00 are still awkwardly large. I went sweater shopping last spring and none of their sweaters fit, even the XXS was too big. And I'm not THAT small. I hate shopping because of stores like that. They make me feel like I am a freak.
    Posted by AmandaSC1988[/QUOTE]

No don't hate anyone that is skinny.  I hate skinny jeans and they way the are cut. The waist cut and the leg cut does not match.  It is like they are putting 12 waist band on a 2 pant leg cut.  It just doesn't work.  HA
  • BinxRoseBinxRose member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I HATE jeans shopping! I think I have an awkward body. I'm not quite 5'0", I have thick thighs from genetics and 14 years of dance, but I have a thin waist (thanks to dieting). I need bigger jeans for my thighs, but small jeans for my waist. So I always have to buy "stretch" denim. And I even have to hem petites. So...trying to find jeans that fit is next to impossible.
  • BinxRoseBinxRose member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't understand why they can't size women's pants like mens. I hate having to guess, "oh, do I wear a 0 or a 4 in this brand?" It would be SO much easier to find pants that fit if they just said the waist size and inseam in inches like mens!
  • edited December 2011
    ditto binx - why cant we be a legit measurement that wont change. I can see cut varying from store to store but 34 inches is 34 inches no matter where you go - stupid clothing shopping
  • edited December 2011
    Maurices carries a line called "Silver" that is sized like men's pants, just FYI. I LOVE them; only problem is that I'm almost too small for even their smallest size now :(
    wedding1 Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_shopping-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:d8d68a6e-2612-4e2a-b4c7-80c9fbf290f4Post:7a58696f-9e72-49df-b554-4d1df04d5dde">Re: Shopping Vent</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't understand why they can't size women's pants like mens. I hate having to guess, "oh, do I wear a 0 or a 4 in this brand?" It would be SO much easier to find pants that fit if they just said the waist size and inseam in inches like mens!
    Posted by BinxRose[/QUOTE]

Brands like Lucky and Guess go by the waist size. They are more expensive but so much easier to find.
    Photobucket
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_shopping-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:d8d68a6e-2612-4e2a-b4c7-80c9fbf290f4Post:882d2a16-1a89-4e15-803a-b76fdf80fc3f">Re: Shopping Vent</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shopping Vent : No don't hate anyone that is skinny.  I hate skinny jeans and they way the are cut. The waist cut and the leg cut does not match.  It is like they are putting 12 waist band on a 2 pant leg cut.  It just doesn't work.  HA
    Posted by crownsuperstar[/QUOTE]

I didn't mean you would hate me =) I was talking to the general population that think skinny people never have difficulty buying clothes.

And I agree with skinny jeans. I HATE them, they are really awkward and don't look good on anyone. (Sorry people that love them, they are not flattering on anyone) No matter how skinny you you still look like a ice cream cone.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I did buy a pair of skinny jeans for our engagement pictures because I didn't want to have to fit flare legged jeans into my boots and have them look all bunched.  That is probably the only way I will ever wear skinny jeans.  I'm no a huge fan of them with flats.

There are people that I think can pull them off.  I just don't feel like I'm one of them.
    Photobucket
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_shopping-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:d8d68a6e-2612-4e2a-b4c7-80c9fbf290f4Post:171ba319-3d13-4f63-a136-a436911b1d11">Re: Shopping Vent</a>:
    [QUOTE]I did buy a pair of skinny jeans for our engagement pictures because I <strong>didn't want to have to fit</strong> <strong>flare legged jeans into my boots</strong> and have them look all bunched.  That is probably the only way I will ever wear skinny jeans.  I'm no a huge fan of them with flats. There are people that I think can pull them off.  I just don't feel like I'm one of them.
    Posted by spiffycoolbeans[/QUOTE]

Oh Yes! I forgot about that... Skinny jeans make sense for that.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah. I hate jeans shopping. I have tried buckle, lucky, 7, heck all name-brands in Nordstrom, and they were all HORRIBLE.
    I, too, am not a skinny jean girl. I own a pair of jeggings and a pair of skinny jeans,a nd both are to go into my boots. That's the only reason they were bought.

I finally found the best, softest jeans ever at Fred Meyers haha I didn't know how awesome Levi's were!!! They are amaaaaazing!! I bought the 524s and I'm in love. I don't think I will ever switch to a different brand now that I finally found a pair of jeans I don't feel AWFUL in when I try them on at the store. *finally*
  • divinemsbeedivinemsbee member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Skinny jeans are a privilege. Not a right, and certainly not a mandate. I am one of those people who look like an ice cream cone when I try them on. Especially when they're sneakily marked as "straight leg." My ass. I'm awful because I decided that all the maternity dresses and cardigans in Target are waaayyy cuter and I think better made that a lot of the thin whispy regular stuff, so I buy it pretty often. Which made for an interesting conversation with my aunt after she saw a dress hanging up that I wore to a wedding. Honestly, they have really cute prints and don't make me look pregnant, so why not?
  • shayNnikshayNnik member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_shopping-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:d8d68a6e-2612-4e2a-b4c7-80c9fbf290f4Post:d441904d-e36b-4cb0-9d18-5c4ed6a75d1b">Re: Shopping Vent</a>:
    [QUOTE]Skinny jeans are a privilege. Not a right, and certainly not a mandate. I am one of those people who look like an ice cream cone when I try them on. Especially when they're sneakily marked as "straight leg." My ass. I'm awful because I decided that all the maternity dresses and cardigans in Target are waaayyy cuter and I think better made that a lot of the thin whispy regular stuff, so I buy it pretty often. Which made for an interesting conversation with my aunt after she saw a dress hanging up that I wore to a wedding. Honestly, they have really cute prints and don't make me look pregnant, so why not?
    Posted by divinemsbee[/QUOTE]

I've done this a few times! Maternity clothes are cute these days. It's ironic how regular clothes can make me look pregnant just because of the way they're made but prego clothes fit right and don't make you look preggers.
    imageimage
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    MUST HAVES: Clothes, Groom
    WISHES: Wedding planner(check!), Honeymoon, Blue Petyl Bouquet
  • LetsHikeTodayLetsHikeToday member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Crown- try the Loft. They are a little more expensive but fit women really well!
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards