Florida-South Florida

Indian Wedding Venue/Vendor Recommendations in South Florida

Hi everyone!

I recently got engaged and am currently researching venues for an Indian wedding in the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area.  We're thinking we'll have about 200 guests and are looking at places that will allow outside caterers.  I'm planning this from NYC so I'm not really familar with the South Florida area so was wondering if you had had good venue recommendations in the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area that you could provide?

Also, vendor recommendations in the S. Florida area for a good DJ (that can play some Indian music), photographer, mandap, caterer, etc would be really helpful too!  I appreciate any help/advice you could provide.

Thanks in advance!
Priya

Re: Indian Wedding Venue/Vendor Recommendations in South Florida

• edited December 2011
    Hi and welcome to the board! : )

Venues with outside caterers: I don't know many but maybe Morikami Garden or Vizcaya?

DJ: My husband is from Trinidad and almost half of the night was Indian music with tassa drums and everything : ) We hired Liquid DJs and we were very happy with them.

Photographer: 13:13. Love, love Ashley. If you are looking for Indian-specific photographers, then Trevor Goldsmith

Videographer: Ray Roman just shot a really beautiful Indian wedding for one of the knotties: http://rayromanblog.com/

HTH : )
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome :)

Here are some recs:

photographer: Gregory Paul

videographer: Ever Clear Productions

dj: liquid dj's

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Welcome to the board!

Some other venues that allow outside caterers are Deering Estate and the Flagler Museum.  I know some hotels in SoBe will make an exception to their no-outside-caterers rule for Indian weddings, but then they'll still charge forkage fees.  What does your budget look like, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm using Hamlet Country Club in Delray Beach, they customized an all-vegetarian Indian & Mediterranean menu for me and FI (my family is not Indian, so we wanted a combination of foods).  The price was excellent, the food is amazing, and the venue is really cool.

DJ: We're using ACE DJ, who does a lot of Indian weddings in the area.  I've heard really good things about Liquid, but they weren't available on our date.

Caterer: Woodlands used to be the place to go for really good South Indian vegetarian food, but they recently changed ownership, and I haven't eaten there since.  I think they might be doing my mehndi night though.

Mandap: I love the stuff at Suhaag Gardens (http://www.suhaaggardens.com). I'm using A Touch of Paradise, and they knew a lot about Indian flowers and mandaps.  Plus they're doing my lighting, chargers, draping and a lot of other things.

Photography: I'm using Luis E (http://www.luisephotography.com). I know that when I contacted him, Ivan Apfel was also really interested in doing an Indian wedding.

PM me if you have any questions, I have tons more recs and advice.
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Rainbow17Rainbow17 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Hi Priya,

I'm also planning an Indian wedding in Miami.  I'm just starting out in the process, but I can tell you that venues in Broward county are less expensive than Dade county.  There are hotels in Downtown Miami that are very reasonable that allow outside caterers, for example, the Hilton Downtown, and the Hyatt.  Let me know how your process goes, would love to share ideas.

• edited December 2011
    If you're a New York bride with a destination wedding then I would highly recommend sticking to a New York DJ because the style and type of music we listen to up here is a bit different then down south. If you're looking for someone who will go above and beyond to mingle with the crowd, motivate the guests to start dancing, and keep the floor packed all night long then The Dhol Xperience is the way to go. We make a custom playlist based on your taste and favroites, make a detailed itinerary to assure the day runs smoothly, & put in our expertise skills when needed to make it a wedding your family and friends will rave about for years! Just go to our website www.TheDholXperience.com and watch our reviews from other brides, dancing videos, & pictures.

• djaladdindjaladdin member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    Who did you ladies use for hair/makeup? And mehndi?
  • edited December 2011
    I'm also in the initial stages of my planning and am going nuts! The photographers/ cinematographers recommended by The Knot and WeddingWire charge around $8500 each for two day coverage... my entire wedding budget is $35,000! I'd appreciate any advice u guys can provide regarding more afforable vendors. My photo/ video budget is around $5,000.

As for venues -- the Crowne Plaza West Palm Beach charges $25 per person and allows outside caterers. It's absolutely stunning, but too far from my house, so we're going with the Heron Bay Marriott in Coral Springs, which also charges $25 per person and allows outside caterers.

We're going to try to handle the bulk of our decor ourselves to make it more economical, but I do want some info regarding affordable stage decor (i.e. in the $500-700 range). Please let me know if you have any suggestions!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards