Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

Honeymoon Locations...

Hey ladies,
Im having a really hard time with this honeymoon thing... I visioned we'd pick a place (somewhat cheap) on our own... and now my FI's grandma told us we can use her timeshare thing! 
Negative thing is we only have a few places to choose from with the dates we have... Keep in mind these are not all-inclusive, like I hoped... 
-Saint Maarten (Caribbean) 
-Lake Tahoe
-Puerta Vallarta

Anyone been to any of these places? I thing Tahoe would be fun in May, but I dont know if it is "Honeymooney" Saint Maarten looks and sounds beautiful, but I dont know what its like in May and how expensive it is (buying dinenrs/drinks. And Mexico I've been a few times, but I cant imagine going there and it not being all-inclusive!
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks!!!
~Casey

Re: Honeymoon Locations...

• Options
    hkieslinghkiesling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I haven't been to any of those places, but I have been to Pun ta Cana (Dominican Republic).  It was gorgeous!  I'd  go back in a heartbeat.

That said, DH and I took a cheap(ish) minimoon to Washington DC right after the wedding (we went wherever we could get the cheapest flight on last minute deals) and then saved up a year a took a 2.5 week trip to Australia and New Zealand...once in a lifetime kinda thing.  Four star hotels, great restaurants, lots of activities.  It was completely worth it, and I'm glad I waited a year to go so we could really save up and do it right.  I don't think I would have had the energy for a trip like that right after the wedding.  Just another option for you.

Oh, and what grandma!

Note: The Knot wouldn't let me write Pun ta as one word!  hehe
  • Options
    maybe984maybe984 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    DH and I went to Puerto Vallarta for our honeymoon and realllllly enjoyed it... but then again... 90% of what we loved about it was the resort. Is the timeshare connected to a resort, or is it more of a condo-ish type thing?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have not been to any of those places personally, but FI and his family went to Peurto Vallarta, and still talk about it all the time; they loved it! Also my FSIL has been to Lake Tahoe and liked it, but I don't think it is very "honeymoon-ish." I would personally probably choose St. Maarten, because I would want my honeymoon to be a place that I wouldn't normally be able to go to!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We had a similar situation. There was no way we would have been able to afford a honeymoon right after the wedding, but a co-worker/friend offered her timeshare to us for a great price. The problem was that the places were picked over because of the date.  We wanted to go somewhere different to us, and the only place "exotic" that was available (cancellation) was Aruba.  We were apprehenisve at first, but now just excited.  We've heard nothing but good things.  If I were you, I would pick St. Mart....just my opinion :)

• Options
    Bimbi284Bimbi284 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I vote for St. Maarten!! I'm Caribbean-born myself, so I'm a bit biased, but I love the tropical weather and culture. I think Mexico and Lake Tahoe would be nice, but St. Maarten may be a bit more exotic and romantic for y'all!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_honeymoon-locations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:81Discussion:6819499d-248e-4cdf-9a69-6f751945f648Post:a2f69e0b-3b38-4a2d-bec0-43d1d1ef8ae1">Re: Honeymoon Locations...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I haven't been to any of those places, but I have been to Pun ta Cana (Dominican Republic).  It was gorgeous!  I'd  go back in a heartbeat. That said, DH and I took a <strong>cheap(ish) minimoon to Washington DC right after the wedding</strong>(we went wherever we could get the cheapest flight on last minute deals) and then saved up a year a took a 2.5 week trip to Australia and New Zealand...once in a lifetime kinda thing.  Four star hotels, great restaurants, lots of activities.  It was completely worth it, and I'm glad I waited a year to go so we could really save up and do it right.  I<strong> don't think I would have had the energy for a trip like that right after the wedding.</strong>  Just another option for you. Oh, and what grandma! Note: The Knot wouldn't let me write Pun ta as one word!  hehe
    Posted by hkiesling[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what we plan to do!  We're going to go on a long weekend somewhere TBD, right after the wedding & then saving up for the next year to go on our actual honeymoon.  We decided it would be best to wait & plan something really great when we can afford it & when we're not so exhausted, so we can REALLY enjoy it!  = ) 
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Awesome grandma!! FI's aunt offered her timeshare to us as well :) I've never been any of those places, FI's parents used to have a timeshare in St. Maarten and LOVE LOVE LOVE it.  All the pictures I've seen look so beautiful...if I had to pick out of those 3 that's what I'd pick, but honestly I'd love to go to any of those three but for me I always picture myself on a tropical honeymoon.

June 18, 2011 Anniversary LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    mlschn06mlschn06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would pick St. Maarten also! We are going to St. Lucia for our honeymoon. From everything I have heard, all of those islands are romantic and a tropical paradise! I have been hearing that food can be extremely expensive though since everything has to be imported, but if you are at a condo type place with a kitchen you could save a lot by getting some groceries vs. eating out at every meal?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would pick St. Maarten, personally - mostly because I've never been there and it's a little more exotic than PV.

However, I don't think couples should rule out places that don't scream "honeymoon". My husband and I honeymooned right after our wedding in the southwestern US (we had already taken a tropical beach vacation earlier in the year and I wasn't willing to gamble on hurricane season) - not a typical honeymoon destination. I LOVED not being in a honeymoon-ish spot! (We flew into PHX and rented a new Camaro and road tripped through AZ & NM - the White Mts, Santa Fe, Taos, Grand Canyon, Sedona, Scottsdale, etc.) We experienced no shortage of romance, no shortage of fun. You could honeymoon in Minot, ND if you go in with the right mindset!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We just booked ours for the Bahamas. We were originally wanting St. Lucia, but it was getting expensive. The flight alone was almost $1800 a person!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards