Rhode Island

Large wedding or smaller...Former brides--opinions

I would appreciate any input from former brides who have had either or smaller wedding (less then 100 pp) or larger (115 or more). I can't decide If I want a more intimate wedding where I can focus more on flowers and getting more of what I like or going with a larger wedding and taking some shortcuts? A lot of the places I love are so expensive that the only way I can go there is if I have a smaller, more intimate wedding. If you had a wedding is there something you would have done differently? I'm so confused...help!!!

Re: Large wedding or smaller...Former brides--opinions

• Well, my wedding hasn't happened yet so I can't really speak from experience, but I'll say that as it stands right now, we're expecting about 90 people.  I had to make a few cuts to the invite list, but it definitely did free up some extra money for perks we wanted, such as a photobooth, a DOC, and more florals.  In my gut, I think we made the right call.
  • RoyalOrientRoyalOrient member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited February 2012
    I had a large wedding because my fiance and I come from a large family so that was the ONLY reason we had a 200 guest count at our wedding. 200 is actually considered small for an Asian (Cambodian-Chinese) wedding. We also had to work with a shoe string budget which meant we had to compromise on a few things. Like I didn't do favors for the adults. None of our guests seemed to care or miss it. Instead we splurged on an open bar and a dessert bar for our guests. However, if I could go back in time, I would have spent the extra moolah on a photobooth too. Our 2 other splurges were photography and a DOC. I also would have put a little more thought into the floral design and decor of the reception but those are just little things that only I would notice. Overall, we got what we wanted within our budget. We found many ways to save so we could splurge on the important things like food and music. 

• This is my second wedding, and IMHO for what it is worth....the first time i married, i had a big wedding with every family member that existed...lol, and a small amount of friends, my mom was so bent on not offending people that i still haven't seen since 1996 at my wedding????!!!!,  when i look back at the wedding, i really didn't have a great time...it was pretty, it was nice, but it was just OK, and i had a lot less extras...to accomodate the size.  this time around, i have a guest list of 90, and am inviting our closest family members (way less) and our really close friends(way more!), and i truly can see how this wedding will be so much more enjoyable, i am spending more on a dress this time, more on flowers and decorations, having an open bar, and my wedding is actually going to be much less expensive than the first time around....i can't wait!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards