Massachusetts-Boston

DB in Danvers for alterations... yay or nay?

I got my dress the other night and it needs minor alterations. Mostly hem and add spaghetti straps. It will take them 6 weeks to get it done. I am wondering if anyone has good or bad experiences with the seamstresses? Seems like they should be doing a good job considering how busy they always are.

I have seen Chris O'Hare's name here a lot and called her. She is booked until after labor day but said she could try to squeeze me in. She also said she doesn't press the dress, so that would have to be done separately.

Re: DB in Danvers for alterations... yay or nay?

• mkjpopmkjpop member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have zero experience with alterations (my one bridesmaid dress fit great, and haven't bought the wedding dress yet), but my sister-in-law and a friend have had GREAT success with A Loving Stitch in Hingham.  http://www.alovingstitch.com/
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    158 image 125 image 33 image 0image RSVP Date: May 27
  • noodle_oonoodle_oo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My friend had a bustle added to her dress that she bought at the DB in Danvers, and it was fine but she said *very* expensive.  In general I have heard bad things about alterations at DB, so I'd be a little wary.  Mainly that they are very overpriced, not sure of the quality of their work.

PS.  If you are looking for someone else, try Fay Carraher in Billerica.  She is doing my dress and she is SO nice!  Very reasonably priced and she will press your dress ($20 I think).
  • normonnormon member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I bought my dress at Vows and they recommend Anahit (not sure but I think if you google Alterations by Anahit it'll come up).  She's in Newton I believe.  My friend used her and thought she did a fabulous job but is on the expensive side.  I'm using Chris O'Hare. 
  • edited December 2011
    Try Christina at Pins and Needles in Danvers ... her shop is above Lorraine Roy and they do dresses from anywhere not just the ones bought downstairs. She was very good and affordable.
  • normonnormon member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I forgot to add that Judy at the Bridal Secret in Quincy also does alterations on dresses not bought at her shop.
  • edited December 2011
    6 weeks for a hem and straps?  That seems a bit long. I've been going to DB in Dedham. I had girls go in on 6/12  had hems, straps and cups put in and the dresses were picked up today. 

Even for my gown, my first appointment was on 6/5, and today, had I needed alterations, would have been my 2nd fitting for the bustle.  I do agree that DB is a bit on the pricey side.  My bustle alone was $92.  The service was great though.  I think we had one semi bad experience, and that was just because there were so many people there, had nothing to do with the employees.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Stepmom to: Lizzie (4); Justin (10); and Cameron (13)
    Mom to 3 angels: Baby 1 MC 2/13/09 @ 7 wks; Baby 2 CP 11/5/10 @ 5 wks;
    and Brendan - Late Loss 4/27/11 @ 20 wks

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    PhotobucketPhotobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I don't know about the one in Danvers, but I had a bustle done at the one in Natick and I was very happy.  I didn't price alterations anywhere else, but it didn't strike me as ridiculous price-wise at the time.

...hello out there!
    imageimage
    dx with anovulatory PCOS 2005
    off bcp 11/11
    2 rounds of clomid and 1 round of femara... no response.
    injectables/IUI 12/12... BFN
    02/13 IVF cycle converted down to IUI due to low follicle response.... everything crossed for that BFP!
  • edited December 2011
    my mother got a dress there for her 4th wedding and 1st big one. her dress was covered sall in pearls. it was th emost detailed dress ive ever seen. They had to basiclly redo the whole dress to fit her and it was amazing and they were kind. I was MOH at another wedding and they did the steaming and letting out and again, great.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards