Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

Hi Ladies!

I've been MIA today, it feels weird to be so behind on the board!  It was a...fun...weekend.

Sunday, we drove down to the beach for a wedding, the wedding in the family that was before ours..so we're officially NEXT.  EEK!  It's so exciting.  After seeing the beach wedding, everyone barefoot, I'm even more excited.

I did want to pass along a tid bit of information just to help anyone.  I had originally thought of wearing my hair half up and half down, but I have completely decided that my hair will be ALL up.  It was soooo windy (felt good, but windy) and people's hair was everywhere!  So just something to keep in mind if you have longer hair!

Other then the hair thing, the wedding was awesome!  Short and to the point!  Cocktail hour was AMAZING, food was awesome.  And the dinner was fabulous, it was probably the wedding with the best food that I've been to.  It was GREAT.

One thing that did get under my skin was a comment that FMIL made about our wedding in Mexico not being real.  It really hurt me.  I'm trying to disregard it, but it's pretty hard.  FI is trying to say that technically that it's not real because its not a civil ceremony, but a symbolic.  I'm just hurt because none of these comments have come out in the past 10 months, and now that we're OVER half way through our engagement it's coming out.  Just another speed bump.

I hope everyone had a great Monday!!!

If you made it all the way through--Here's a cocktail of your choice!  Thanks for listening to my update and my vent :)

Re: Hi Ladies!

• Options
    That is 100% why I am doing an up-do!! Haha, I can totally imagine that happening!

I am sorry about your FMIL saying that, it is the "real" wedding as long as it is in your mind and your FIs mind it doesn't matter.
  • Options
    Sounds like you had a great weekend minus FMIL pointless comment! That would definitely get under my skin too, but remember its your wedding and it is WAY more than something that is just symbolic! 

Also, thanks for reconfirming that I NEED to wear my hair all the way up. FI wants me to wear it down but there's no way with the breeze from the ocean! 

Don't let her comment ruin your day!
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!  I'm definitely trying not to!

The whole hair thing, that's why I wanted to post it!  I don't want to change anyones minds, but just to definitely consider it!  The bride yesterday planned on wearing her hair half and half, but changed while she was at the salon, and I'm sure she's glad she did! :)
  • Options
    Completely agree with the hair, will be all up, so happy you had a great time!

Sorry about your FMIL, I have learned to ignore 1/2 of what comes out of their mouths, do not let it bother you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for confirming my thoughts about the up do! FI loves my hair down, so he'll just have to deal ;)

So sorry to hear about what your FMIL said about your wedding not being "real". While she does kind of have a point, (you're getting legally married before you go, right?) that's rude and unfair. You're doing it the way you guys want and it's going to be beautiful!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_destination-weddings_hi-ladies-22?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Theme BoardsForum:54Discussion:0567e8e0-9e6e-4ee3-85bc-90e798a9314cPost:24cbd2eb-513c-4557-9619-dc2d70e7ccf9">Re: Hi Ladies!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for confirming my thoughts about the up do! FI loves my hair down, so he'll just have to deal ;) So sorry to hear about what your FMIL said about your wedding not being "real". While she does kind of have a point, (you're getting legally married before you go, right?) that's rude and unfair. You're doing it the way you guys want and it's going to be beautiful!
    Posted by breaness[/QUOTE]

Yes, we are doing the legal stuff here.  In the end, it's not the real deal.  I won't be in my dress, he won't be in his attire.  There won't be any exchange of rings, and we'll exchange the minimum amounts of words that we can, because it will NOT be our wedding.  She just won't get it out of her mind that I don't want the courthouse to be a big deal.
  • Options
    Ahh man you got me nervous about the hair thing now!!  Hmmmm I sooo much prefer my hair up, but maybe I'll need a back-up plan in case it's particularly windy that day. 

Ok as for FMIL - Girl I went thru the same thing when we were originally planning on getting married in DR, but with my mom.  That's why we almost considered not telling anybody that we were going to do it legally here first.  I know it hurts to hear her say that, but you can't let it get to you!  It's your day!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

We are doing our legal stuff here too, and aren't really telling anyone that it isn't a "real wedding". To us it is, and I don't think anyone should make you feel otherwise! Who knows why she said that...but you can't let it get to you because your wedding is going to be amazing and perfect for you!!

Glad you had a great weekend otherwise! We missed you around here all day :)

Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    Kayla, I'm so glad you posted that hair thing. after I saw Randi's hair, I immediately wanted the same thing done to mine and I kept hearing that people were going to go half done or all the way done and I started second guessing myself. Not anymore.

Glad you had a good weekend too!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    **Whenever I'm alone with you, you make me feel like I am home again; Whenever I'm alone with you; You make me feel like I am whole again**
  • Options
    Glad you had a good weekend.  It's too bad about your FMIL's comment.  Try not to let it bother you.  We are also doing the legal stuff here about 2 weeks before we leave, and also trying to keep it as low-key as possible, since we don't want people to think that day will be our wedding day. There won't be any family there, no fancy dress of fancy food.  It bothers me when people think that it's not real when you have your wedding this way.  In my mind getting married is less about the legal stuff and more about declaring your intent in front of your family and friends. 

And I have to re-think my hair now.  FI really wants me leave it all down, but I wanted it half up/half down.  I hadn't even considered the wind.....hmm.
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options
    So nice to hear the wedding was perfect and you enjoyed yourself. I bet you feel super excited!!! Especially knowing that you're next :) Don't pay much attention about what FMIL said. Maybe she didn't mean to hurt you. But if you did it on purpose don't give her the joy of letting her know you're hurt. She's just jealous lol. No but seriously. What matter is that you and your FI knows the real deal and that's all that matters. :)

Wedding Bio

New Married Blog
    Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker ~Pamela&Steven~6.25.2011~PuntaCana,DR~ image
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_destination-weddings_hi-ladies-22?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:54Discussion:0567e8e0-9e6e-4ee3-85bc-90e798a9314cPost:4ed8018b-3d11-49ba-a451-4c512478acbb">Re: Hi Ladies!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks ladies!  I'm definitely trying not to! The whole hair thing, that's why I wanted to post it!  I don't want to change anyones minds, but just to definitely consider it!  The bride yesterday planned on wearing her hair half and half, but changed while she was at the salon, and I'm sure she's glad she did! :)
    Posted by Kayla&Brian412[/QUOTE]
    I am like 99% certain I'm going with half up but maybe I'll need to scout out a backup up-do just in case! Thanks for posting this, I'm hoping since we're not directly on the beach it won't be as bad. Sorry your FMIL made such a rude comment, try not to let her get to you.
  • Options
    Hey Kayla.  I'm glad the wedding was so wonderful.  I'm sorry about the comment that your FMIL made to you.  Not cool.  It's hard for some people to accept a DW bc of that point, along w/ the cost of traveling.  My mom has been so off during this whole planning process, that it's just depressing sometimes.  When Mike and I have our wedding in Nov., we will have already been married for over a year bc of the urgency that we had to get married last year (his father passed in January).  We are going to celebrate something on each day, but consider November as our official anniversary date, just w/ an extra year added on.  Just ignore what they are saying, if you can.  I know it can hurt.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    You ladies are the best!  Thank you so much for the support!  I know it's just a little bump and we'll get over it and everything will be fine.  I just hate that a comment like that was made now and not 10 months ago...and I was expecting a comment like that from someone, just wasn't expecting it from his mom, of all people.  We're trying to keep it down low, but she had asked about it early on in the planning and I just blurted it out without thinking (which, FI would have told her anyway because he can't keep a damn secret!)

Glad I could help with the hair thing, but didn't want to confuse everyone.  I had forgotten how breezy the beach was until my hair was blowing everywhere! :)
  • Options
    Kayla...FMIL just needs to keep her internal monologue INTERNAL!  Ugh!

I'm glad that I decided to find hairstyles that have my hair all up...you just reaffirmed my hair style choice!  :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip about the hair! I will definitely be going with an updo.

And girl, don't even worry about FMIL. They seem to get very open with their comments as we go through the process. You just have to remember that its your wedding and your time to be happy. Dont let it get to you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards