Wedding Reception Forum
Options

OK Girls!! I know you are going to be honest... So lets hear it :)

Ok, I know that this isn't the place to ask for advice on decorating the aisle in our church for our wedding ceremony, but I have always receieved honest opinions even if they hurt my feelings *sniff* (im kidding)! Anyway, here is my issue!!

We are paying for everything on our own. Our wedding theme is The Nightmare Before Christmas, our wedding date is October 30th, 2010... I was so confused on how to incorporate this into our actual church since I am not looking to freak out the priest! hehe! We don't have big money to decorate the church full of flowers, the church is huge! So what I was thinking is that because my hubby is pretty talented and a great "artist" we can actually spray paint some pumpkins black and draw out a small scene of the movie onto the pumpkin with maybe a silver pen? And then maybe even spray paint some pumpkins silver and draw with black pen... What do you think? The vision I have in my head it looks really neat and it looks original. So lets hear it girls!! Let me know what you think? I talked to the photographer and he thinks its a great idea, but I am paying him to think that lol. I am kidding!

Re: OK Girls!! I know you are going to be honest... So lets hear it :)

• Options
    love the spray painted pumpkin idea! and punkies tend to be pretty affordable too!

you can put tiny ones on the floor right at the bottom of the pews, to line the aisle.

and have groupings of larger ones elsewhere.
    10-10 siggy favorite summer picture Image and video hosting by TinyPic http://hiscb.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    My opinion would be to just use plain pumpkins at the church, and save the decorated ones for the reception.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_ok-girls-going-honest-lets-hear?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:6c6c950b-c47b-49a9-a946-a6d51aec47c0Post:ccad477f-7afb-41b5-ab4c-b90dbf1384d3">Re: OK Girls!! I know you are going to be honest... So lets hear it :)</a>:
    [QUOTE]My opinion would be to just use plain pumpkins at the church, and save the decorated ones for the reception.
    Posted by mbcdefg[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree with this.  </div>
  • Options
    I think they would be cute - you'll have to post pics - I also agree that they may be better at the reception so if theres a way you can have someone grab them from the church and save a place for them at the reception, you'll be good to go!
  • Options
    Are Halloween pumpkins appropriate for a church?  You should definitely ask if this would even be allowed...  If I were you, though, I'd save the "theme" for the reception ;)
  • Options
    I'd be surprised if a church would allow anything that is obviously movie-themed... you'll have to ask.  Pumpkins might be ok!  Maybe you could get some pretty ribbon and hang small pumpkins from the pews?  
  • Options
    Could you take tulle and make big bows and 'ribbons' to go on the row ends in like dark purple/blue/black and white (like the movie colors) and then make a small "nest" of tulle on the floor under the "bows" and set an undecorated small pumpkin in the middle of the "nest". You'd have the row end decorations in movie colors, pumpkins but no flowers so it would be much cheaper and fairly easy to do.

It wouldn't look cheap and tacky decorated but very simple yet tied to both "natural" and "simple" to your theme.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

My Ceremony Location - Scottish Castle

,p> save the date
  • Options
    Read stage's reply for me.  Because I agree with what she said.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_ok-girls-going-honest-lets-hear?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:6c6c950b-c47b-49a9-a946-a6d51aec47c0Post:ccad477f-7afb-41b5-ab4c-b90dbf1384d3">Re: OK Girls!! I know you are going to be honest... So lets hear it :)</a>:
    [QUOTE]My opinion would be to just use plain pumpkins at the church, and save the decorated ones for the reception.

I completely agree with this. Churh's don't need to be overly decorated either because they're already beautiful.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_ok-girls-going-honest-lets-hear?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:6c6c950b-c47b-49a9-a946-a6d51aec47c0Post:ccad477f-7afb-41b5-ab4c-b90dbf1384d3">Re: OK Girls!! I know you are going to be honest... So lets hear it :)</a>:

I completly aggree with this, maybe you could have the plain pumpkins at the church then have someone bring them to the reception location.

If your having children at the reception you could have a activity table set up where the children, or the young at heart, could use paint pens or kids paint and decorate pumpkins. I was a halloween baby and ever year for my birthday parties as a kid, my mom set up a pumpkin painting table. There realy wasnt a mess associated with it, granted our parents always helped.
  • Options
    I would see about hiring a pumpkin carver and have elaborately carved pumpkins with scenes from the movie. Then, you can use only the light from the candle lit pumpkins and turn off all of the house lights. 
  • Options
    ExpatPumpkinExpatPumpkin member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_ok-girls-going-honest-lets-hear?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:6c6c950b-c47b-49a9-a946-a6d51aec47c0Post:e194ae85-50ec-4fe8-8f56-a8e99135c0a0">Re: OK Girls!! I know you are going to be honest... So lets hear it :)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would see about hiring a pumpkin carver and have elaborately carved pumpkins with scenes from the movie. Then, you can use only the light from the candle lit pumpkins and turn off all of the house lights. 
    Posted by LisaTyler1984[/QUOTE]

For the church?  Really? 

Great idea, but wouldn't it be more appropriate for the reception?  Many people do actually believe that a church is a house a worship, not a backdrop for wedding decor themed off a holiday with pagan roots.

(Nothing against pagans, but some people in the church would probably be offended, so it's definitely a point to consider.)
  • Options
    Wouldn't hiring a pumpkin carver eb kind of expensive?? And I'm not sure that the light from a candle inside of a pumpkin is bright enough for your ceremony... Plus, hundreds of flickering pumpkins sounds a little like a fire hazard... Besides, I'd be worried that the church would be uncomfortable with a Nighmare Before Christmas theme inside the church. I think the plain pumpkin idea is great. Or even painting them one solid color.
  • Options
    Why would that be a disaster waiting to happen...and agreed, maybe that would be better for the reception 
  • Options
    Definitely don't go overboard on the ceremony decor.  People spend so little time there, they won't really even get a chance to notice all the effort you went to.  I think a couple of clusters of plain pumpkins at the altar would be fine, if anything.  Save the detailed stuff for the reception, where people will actually get a chance to see it up close.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    I agree with most PPs. Maybe you could have small ones line the aisles at every other pew, or have a cluster at the altar on both sides. Also like others have said, the church is beautiful on its own, and everyone is spending so little time there. For me, at first I was like, how am I going to decorate a whole church! A second later I realized you can't, and it doesnt matter.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_ok-girls-going-honest-lets-hear?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:6c6c950b-c47b-49a9-a946-a6d51aec47c0Post:6ca12c4f-500e-4ba7-8e1a-b6efe0e391ed">Re: OK Girls!! I know you are going to be honest... So lets hear it :)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'd be surprised if a church would allow anything that is obviously movie-themed... you'll have to ask.  Pumpkins might be ok!  Maybe you could get some pretty ribbon and hang small pumpkins from the pews?  
    Posted by anne.azano[/QUOTE]

Not only movie themed, but Halloween themed- which is against many religions.
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • Options

That is just way too ambitious- seriously. You can find WAY cooler ways to incorporate this theme- give yourself a break you are going to be so busy you are not going to want to carve or paint pumpkins- it takes up so much time- and pumpkins rot and aren't easy to buy beforehand (that long), so this is really really ambitious, but if you wanna go for it do it!

I would actually tone it down in the church- possibly have (I'm assuming itll be night wedding so sorry if I'm wrong) but you can always put paper laterns leading up to the church with neat cut outs from the movie (Character faces, trees, etc) as well as find maybe some creepy branches in the woods (spray them black) to tie onto the benches in the church with a tulle bow. Just an idea!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think it sounds cool, but save it for the reception.  You really don't have to decorate the church.  We got a free flower arrangement as a peace offering from our florist, but otherwise we had nothing, and we would have been fine without the single flower arrangement. 
  • Options
    Thank you everyone... I was thinking about it some more and it seems like it is going to be really overwhelming now because my inlaws are driving me insane and they thought they would inconvient me to go get them the night before the wedding at the airport. What makes me more irrate is that my little brother in law is going to be in the wedding! The rehearsal is on the same night!! He needs to be here! UGH!!! This is going to get on my nerves. I was thinking about just having the decorator take them to the reception and I would use tulle and small pumpkins at the church instead, just like someone said (great idea). I did talk to our church and they didn't mind the theme. But if my in laws are going to be doing this then I am going to have to just use the tulle and the bridesmaids and I will do it the night before while we are at the rehearsal. I don't know what the world is wrong with these people!! Is anyone else having issues with their "monsters in law"? I really would have not minded, but why do they think that we aren't going to be busy the rest of the night?? They know that the rehearsal is that night and we have alot of people coming in from out of town! AHHHH!! ANNOYING!

Anyway, thanks so much girls! I apprieciate all of your input. I knew you would tell me what you really thought :) And I definately will post pictures! Thanks again!
  • Options
    My vote is to keep the church classy and pumpkin free. Save the personalized decos for the reception.
  • Options
    Before you go any further generating ideas---love the silver pen! Find out if the church has rules about decorating. If you can decorate, when you can get in there and when it all has to be cleared out. Answers to these questions are crucial.
  • Options
    Another thing you can do is twigs or sticks that are twirly.  I think you can find these at Michael's--they are like branches that have an elegant/fairytale twists and twirls and they might be cool to decorate with, either at the ceremony or the reception.  They remind me of that Tim Burton style that he incorporates into his animated pieces--swirly, crooked lines.

• Options
    Our church does a lot of fall-type decoration already, so I'm not really sure how I would add to that to get a "Nightmare Before Christmas" feel.  But I do love the idea!

I agree that you should highlight it more at the reception, but maybe watch "Corpse Bride" to get some Tim Burton wedding inspiration?

This idea made me smile.
  • Options
    I love the idea of pumpkins for a fall wedding.  You might want to hold off on the decorated ones for the reception though.  I wanted to incorporate jack o'lanterns without looking too "halloweeny" so we are going to use them for our table numbers!  Instead of faces we'll have numbers carved into our pumpkins and light them up with flameless candles so we can keep the tops on. It doubles as ambiance lighting too!
  • Options

I also agree with this.
    Blog Planning Site Anniversary 2007- Fell down stairs, herniated 4 disks, Degenerative Disk Disease, Facet Arthritis Perfectly healthy previous to this fall. 2008- Diagnosed Hypothyroid 2010- Diagnosed severe Vitamin D deficiency and Chronic Mono 2011- Diagnosed Rheumatoid Arthritis, Carpal Tunnel, and Calcified Tendinitis in right shoulder
  • Options
    we are getting white pumpkins & doing some black. some we're decorating & some we're carving like with the date or to make the signs etc..& also you can get fake ''funkins'' that look & feel pretty real that you can carve or i suppose draw on.. ahead of time 'cause they don't go bad. i think i would suggest painting or carving. though it might look cool up close i don't think ppl will be able to see just a drawing as well as when they're painted or lit. you could come visit the ''gothic'' board lol not a ton of ppl but good ideas. there's ppl doing nbc or corpse bride or halloween/costume theme etc. ours is kind of sweeney todd meets boho garden party meets japan haha
  • Options
    I was thinking you could do lots of white, snowy and Christmas-type decor in the church and then it would be like the Christmas Town in the movie.  Then, at the reception venue, you could decorate it more like Halloween Town.  It would still work  and keep with the movie :)

I'm not very good at this stuff though :p
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards