Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Africa? Tanzinia?

Hi all - 

My fiance really wants to go to Africa for our honeymoon and the idea of it sounds great but I'm a little scared. He doesn't want to do the traditional spots like South Africa or Seychelles. He really wants to do a safari in Tanzinia for one week and then a week in Zanzibar for the beach. Has anyone been to Tanzinia? Or done a safari (outside of South Africa)? I'm sort of a wimp when it comes to bugs and being outdoorsy and I'm not sure if this will freak me out. At the same time though, when else do we have such an excuse for such an amazing experience? Any tips, thoughts, suggestions welcome. 

Thanks,
Lindsay
Anniversary

Re: Africa? Tanzinia?

• Options
    I have a friend who traveled to Tanzania and she said it was amazing!  I am sure there will be lots to so and see in Tanzania. The other benefit for you is that you can probably get crazy deals on Tanzanite jewelry!!!! If you like amethyst you will fall hard for tanzanite!  I say go and enjoy!!!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    My cousin is in college and just spent this last semester in Tanzania and Kenya, his pictures were amazing, he said he had the time of his life
  • Options
    This is my dream vacation. 

You can go on safari with many of the comforts of home and stay in beautiful lodges, you just pay a lot for it.  There are also other more affordable options where you camp and help with cooking, etc.  This company has different levels of travel (basic, comfort, etc).  I'd read through the descriptions of the levels and see what appeals to you. 

http://www.intrepidtravel.com/trips/YGKLC#overview
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    How long do you have for your HM and will you be flying out of CA?  I'd factor all of that into consideration.

I had a friend do a clinical in Tanzania and the experience was eye opening for her.  She loved it.

Personally (and I've traveled to 3rd world counties), the trip sounds fantastic, just not quite ideal for a HM.  For H and I, we wanted a HM to just relax; not explore or be adventerous.  If you and your FI both agree this is the type of HM you want, then go for it!
  • Options
    I loved backpacking in Africa.  I'm also not a fan of bugs but I really wasn't bothered at all.  Safari's can be as simple or as luxurious as you're willing to pay for.  Prices in Tanzania are a little high but it's worth the money.  You might also want to look into Mozambique, Kenya or Uganda.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I recently traveled to the Seychelles and Mauritius for a non-HM vacation. If you decide to go that route, I'm more than happy to share some info! Not many Americans travel there- everyone thought we were from England! We stayed on Mauritius for 5 nights and the Seychelles for 7 nights and flew from Phoenix, so definitely factor in a ton of travel time when coming from the West Coast. I have never been so thankful for business class!

• Options
    My H and I just spent our first anniversary in Tanzania.  We did Safari for 6 days and then 4 days on Zanzibar.  We had an amazing time, but we paid a LOT of money for the trip.

Really, there were no bugs or anything that we were exposed to (other than mosquitoes.  You'll need malaria prophylaxis.)  The majority of the time we spent outdoors was in our Land Rover.  There are wild animals, so it's not like you'll be doing much walking/hiking around to be in the outdoors.

We booked our trip through Premier Tours (<-- clicky) out of Philly.  They set up a custom itinerary for us where we had our own Land Rover/driver for the trip, and it was awesome, but like I said, pretty expensive.  Premier told everyone it was our HM (even though it was anniversary) and we got the best rooms, free champagne, resort upgrades in Zanzibar, etc. so that was really nice.  They also have pre-set trips on their website that are a little more affordable.

If you have specific questions, you can either post them here or PM me and I'd be happy to help.
    Vacation

Vacation
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_africa-tanzinia?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:7c826db8-857c-437b-a78a-5f76c42cf7c4Post:ff3fab02-daa2-4b04-b6ec-8e1271d907e4">Re: Africa? Tanzinia?</a>:
    [QUOTE]How long do you have for your HM and will you be flying out of CA?  I'd factor all of that into consideration. I had a friend do a clinical in Tanzania and the experience was eye opening for her.  She loved it.  <strong>Personally (and I've traveled to 3rd world counties), the trip sounds fantastic, just not quite ideal for a HM.  For H and I, we wanted a HM to just relax; not explore or be adventerous. </strong> If you and your FI both agree this is the type of HM you want, then go for it!
    Posted by hz80408[/QUOTE]

I feel like Tanzania was actually pretty relaxing for us.  We just drove around in a Land Rover all day looking at animals, at our leisure.  No one forced us to go if we didn't want to.  We spent a couple of days just lounging around camp, watching the animals (in our camp in the Serengeti) and lazing around the pool.  And Tanzania has some VERY luxurious camps.  Seriously, some of our "tents" were nicer than our home here in the US.  A lot of these places offer in-tent massages, etc.  It's very relaxed.  Zanzibar was just a whole different kind of amazing and relaxing.
    Vacation

Vacation
  • Options
    Thank you for this info I'm going go check out this website for potential trips!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Where did you stay?
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards