Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Enough food for cocktail hour?

Our cocktail hour is for one hour and it comes with:
- 5 butlered hors douerves
- pasta station
- veggie display
- cheese display (can be swapped out for a slider station)

Is this enough?  Our wedding is in NJ and I feel like people here expect a ridiculous amount of food at cocktail hour.  I feel like in comparison to the weddings we've been to, people are going to think its weird that we don't have more food.  Am I being crazy?

Re: Enough food for cocktail hour?

• It sounds like plenty to me, more than I usually see around here. Eactly how much have you seen at other weddings?
    Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_enough-food-for-cocktail-hour?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:6d8a46b9-c4f5-4bda-bde4-8b5cc5e422aaPost:c19e4206-6caa-4152-8fa3-be673186a87c">Re: Enough food for cocktail hour?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It sounds like plenty to me, more than I usually see around here. Eactly how much have you seen at other weddings?
    Posted by coopsbaby[/QUOTE]

NJ weddings are crazy.  I'd say the average that I've been to has about 5 stations in addition to regular stuff (cheese, veggies, etc.).
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2012
    Yes it's enough.

I also got married in NJ.  They do like their cocktail hours don't they?  We had more options, but honestly people were so stuffed they barely ate dinner.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I'm from NJ and I know what you mean about cocktail hours. I went to a wedding a few weeks ago where there was a pasta station and in the middle of the room fruit and cheese display. I also went to one last weekend with a raw bar, 3 stations, 4 buffet stations, and 10 passed hors dourves. I was so full I didn't want dinner. I think that maybe you should switch out the cheese display for a slider station. I think those are a big hit. You are fine though either way there is plenty of food.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sounds like more than enough
  • Sounds like plenty.  FI's family is from NY/NJ and they all expect these huge cocktail hours.  I think not only are they a waste of food, but a waste of money, and just plain showy, but I do worry a little that his family will think our wedding is cheap because we had less food for cocktail hour.  I'd just rather spend that money on something else.

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards