Nevada-Las Vegas

Name change

I just can not decide what to do with my name after we're married. I want to keep my surname, I want to take his surname, but I dont want a double barrell name!! Arrrrgh!!!!

Re: Name change

• pebbs_17pebbs_17 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I still haven't changed my name.  I think I'm going to hyphenate though.
  • aegrishaegrish member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm changing mine.  If you are unsure, I would wait as Pebbs did.  You dont HAVE to change it immediately after the wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    Im changing mine.

Ive always disliked my long, hard to pronouce, czech last name. And there is NO way Im going to hypen my 8 letter last name and his 9 letter last name.
  • edited December 2011

My fiance is a little traditional about certain things and then there are other things he could care less about.  He says I dont have a choice in changing my name.... But,  I had planned to do it anyway.

• wallacjewallacje member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011

For me it depends on the day. LOL.. Some days I'm totally good with dropping my last name and then others I just want to add it onto the end, no hyphen though.

Does your name that you sign on the Marriage certificate the day of the ceremony have to be the one that you are going to use?

• edited December 2011

No, you sign your current name.

• edited December 2011
    Don't do it yet...

I haven't changed my last name, but everyone calls me by his last name anyway. It's a good test to see if you'd really like to be called that or not. :)

-- Thoughts become things, choose the good ones! --

• edited December 2011
    I have no idea what to do either! I have a long last name that is constantly stumbled over and I used to fantasize about marrying a Jones or Smith. Well, here I am and FI's name is 4 letters long, but now I feel strangely attached to my long, difficult, middle eastern name. But other days I hate it, like when I have to give my e-mail address over the phone to a client at work. It's THIRTY SIX characters long!!

FI doesn't care about it at all, but I want us to have the same last name. So we're trying to figure out what we want to do. Good to know others are in a similar situation and that I don't have to rush a decision!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm keeping my last name. It's just perfect, it's so ME :)
  • lsvenssonlsvensson member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A couple of PPs had really good advice about if you're not sure, wait to change it.  I'm not changing mine, and I expect to be fine with it, but just in case I'm not, I can always change it down the road.  It's a bit tricky to do it in reverse (i.e., change your name to his, decide you hate it, and then switch back to your maiden name).
  • wallacjewallacje member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_name-change?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:c7cd1c4e-755d-4bd5-9aa5-21963ab87025Post:f9b43066-b430-41c7-9524-7b564c4e1dae">Re: Name change</a>:
    [QUOTE]No, you sign your current name.
    Posted by ahhhitsshannyn[/QUOTE]

Thanks!!! I was totally clueless on this one.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm going back and forth about the name change too.
    I'm very attached to my last name. It has a lot of history behind it. We have a coat of arms and family crest. And I've had my name for 30 years. But, I want the same name as my children.

So I'm probably going to throw his name on at the and of mine and have a super duper long name.
    Meshell Middlename Mylastname Hislastname. My drivers licence is going to be fun.
  • edited December 2011
    I love my maiden name so much, so I legally made it my middle name.   I use my full first, middle, and new last name professionally.
  • edited December 2011
    I did plan on chnaging my last name because FI's is way easier than mine and only 4 letters but then I found out that because I am getting married o/s I can't just take his name. I have to legally change it which is a heap of paperwork and cost and then a whole heap of other forms to get everything else changed as well (I have o/s passports etc)

I am thinking of just keeping mine now for the time being and decide later if I want to change (since there is no time limit).
  • edited December 2011

I wanted to change my last name, but my situtation was a little tricky -- I have always gone by my middle name (Suzanne). After the wedding i wanted to go by Suzanne - Maiden Name - New last name. . . i never knew it would be such a hassle to change!! Since i wanted to completly drop my given first name and go by my middle name, i had to Legally (in court) change my first name to Suzanne. It took about a month to do, but im happy i did it. 

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_name-change?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:c7cd1c4e-755d-4bd5-9aa5-21963ab87025Post:fcfe4a30-6022-4d90-91e6-0562b1feb1ac">Re: Name change</a>:
    [QUOTE]Im changing mine. Ive always disliked m<strong>y long, hard to pronouce, czech last name</strong>. And there is NO way Im going to hypen my 8 letter last name and his 9 letter last name.
    Posted by junebug61103[/QUOTE]

My maiden name is long, hard to pronounce, and czech too! But I always loved mine. I wanted to keep it as my middle name, but due to some dumb California law, I couldn't without an official name change at the courthouse.

I cried over the decision, but I took my husband's last name, and I am happy.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm going with his last name... it's shorter then mine and i want the same last name as my kids.
  • edited December 2011
    I will be taking his last name! He was married previously and she had chosen not to take his last name. So, for me, I am excited that I still get to be the first Mrs. so&so
  • edited December 2011
    Im very attached to my last name, but I want to take his name in some form too. If we are blessed with children i was thinking I might give them a middle name of my maiden name!! Is that weird??

I also might drop my current middle name, and replace it with my maiden name! Still unsure though :-/
  • edited December 2011

I grew up with happily married parents with the same last name as my sister and I. I love my family, more than words, but I also want to have that same family feeling with my FI and our future children. It's hard being almost 30 and being defined by your name and then losing it...but it's worth it to me :)

Charity

BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Almost a year later now.  I kept my name and I am glad I did.  It is part of who I am.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards