Christian Weddings

'family planning'

i just saw a mini disucssion about buying family planning items and how it can be akward. I imagine it would be but won't get to find out because the only birth control we will use are the actual BCP that I have a perscription for (no condoms for us). 

Does everyone else think it will be weird shopping for those items?  I'm uncomfortable with my perscription and actually switched pharmacies because my mom has friends at the one i usually go with. 

Re: 'family planning'

• I don't have any problem with my BCP since it's not like anyone other than the pharmacist can see what it is. But when I had to buy condoms and lube I thought I was going to DIE! I think I used the self-checkout those times.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_family-planning-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:e484e402-118b-4de7-b763-4687042ea5bdPost:be2cc88f-fdb3-4844-bd42-e9ebd0aba361">Re: 'family planning'</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't have any problem with my BCP since it's not like anyone other than the pharmacist can see what it is. But when I had to buy condoms and lube I thought I was going to DIE! I think I used the self-checkout those times.
    Posted by azdancer8[/QUOTE]<div>Yep.  We don't use BCP or condoms, but buying lube, ovulation tests, and pregnancy tests was mortifying.  For one, and I mentioned this in the other thread, the pharmacist is a deacon at our church and is usually RIGHT in front of that aisle.  I'll do laps around the store until he moves or takes a break.  Self-checkout rocks, and sometimes I'll shop for other items so there are things in my buggy I can use to hide other items.</div><div>
    </div><div>Also, I've ordered many items off of Amazon, especially when we were TTC and switched to PreSeed lube.  No one within 90 miles of us carries it.  

</div>
  • Thank goodness for living in a metropolitan area! I can easily go to drug stores where I'm unlikely to see anyone I know.

I'd say it's like buying tampons, except hopefully you're more mature now than when you started buying those, so we should be less self-conscious.

Here's a story that's helped me: Years ago, I got my period early and had to rush to a drug store to buy supplies. I was far from home and work, so I had to find a washroom, too. I asked the checkout clerk where I could wash my hands. His response? "You mean, like a bathroom? There's one through the doors in the back." He totally didn't make the connection. He just scanned the merchandise, took my money, and issued a receipt.

Really, store clerks see so much strange stuff, so many people, they really don't notice. Even if they do, in my life, I'm very unlikely to see them again.
  • Haha, one thing I've noticed is that EVERYONE is too nervous to be caught in that section of the store buying something, so they pretend to be shopping for something else and once they think no one is looking, they move in.  I can't count the times I've seen it.  At least you're not alone! 
  • DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2012
    You know, when I missed a period and we thought I might be pregnant, I was scared to death to buy a pregnancy test.  Why, I have no idea - I was 31 years old and happily married - but it still made me so nervous of what people might think.  And by people I mean the anonymous checkout girl!

Lube and condoms are less mortifying for me, and BCP didn't bother me in the least.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_family-planning-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:e484e402-118b-4de7-b763-4687042ea5bdPost:0fa8c991-4b8e-4236-89ff-b7e29e5c4e20">Re: 'family planning'</a>:
    [QUOTE]Lube and condoms are less mortifying for me, and BCP didn't bother me in the least.
    Posted by DramaGeek[/QUOTE]
    This.  I've been on the pill for over 8 years.  I am soooo not embarrassed about picking it up, haha.  One time I had to get some Plan B due to a BCP/antibiotics mix that slipped our minds, and THAT was embarrassing because they carded me (I guess I look 17, lol).

The only time we ever bought condoms, DH picked those up and he used the self-checkout line.  The only time we ever bought lube, I ordered it online.
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • I am getting better at tampons.  I think I would die if I bought condoms or lube.  FI ordered them online. 

True story, one time when I was working in a grocery store, someone bought lube.  I had no idea what it was and spent several minutes reading the back trying to figure out what it was.  I got all red when I figured it out but it must have been an uncomfortable few minutes for the guy.  Lol

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Raven, H once had a guy buy condoms and batteries along with a few other things.  When he was done checking him out, H said (without thinking), "have a good night!" the guy responded "Oh, I will!!"

Also, HAPPY WEDDING DAY!!!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_family-planning-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:e484e402-118b-4de7-b763-4687042ea5bdPost:76892ce8-8142-4f69-9e7c-8a5365ffc4bb">Re: 'family planning'</a>:
    [QUOTE]Raven, H once had a guy buy condoms and batteries along with a few other things.  When he was done checking him out, H said (without thinking), "have a good night!" the guy responded "Oh, I will!!"
    Posted by DramaGeek[/QUOTE]<div>Hahahahaha</div><div>
    </div><div>And THAT'S why I use self-checkout when it's available.</div><div>
    </div>
  • Our insurance wants us to fill prescriptions at the hospital (where DH works), so now he picks up my BC!  We used to go through the self-checkout for condoms, but our new grocery store doesn't have those, so we have to go through a regular line.  When I buy tampons I try to get in a lane with a woman at the register.

Embarrassing question:  We have not used lube.  Is this something we should try?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to Re:'family planning':[QUOTE]Embarrassing question:nbsp; We have not used lube.nbsp; Is this something we should try? Posted by ochemjenn[/QUOTE]
    Depending on the type of condoms you use, you may not need it. We don't use them, so the lube makes LMing bearable, even before I got pregnant. I've also found that the "fancier" types are more likely to cause irritation, and that's a place that just shouldn't be irritated.
  • naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_family-planning-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:e484e402-118b-4de7-b763-4687042ea5bdPost:c1f5f5ce-0dc0-4e25-af0d-1e3133f991db">Re: 'family planning'</a>:
    [QUOTE] Embarrassing question:  We have not used lube.  Is this something we should try?
    Posted by ochemjenn[/QUOTE]

Most of the time we don't need/use lube but once in a while if I'm not quite ready or we are having a quickie and in a rush then we'll pull it out.  It definitely makes it more comfortable if you're having trouble getting into it and/or aren't quite "ready.

Emily - what is LMing? (sorry in advance if it's an acronym for something rude/embarrassing.  Google gave me nothing).
  • fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited May 2012
    LMing=love making 
    Sometimes I can't remember which forums use which acronyms. We use LM/ML and BD for baby dancing on Christian Family Planning.
  • azdancer8azdancer8 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_family-planning-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:e484e402-118b-4de7-b763-4687042ea5bdPost:c1f5f5ce-0dc0-4e25-af0d-1e3133f991db">Re: 'family planning'</a>:
    [QUOTE]We have not used lube.  Is this something we should try?
    Posted by ochemjenn[/QUOTE]

We don't typically need it, but sometimes we will use it if I'm too dry. It is a different sensation for me when we do use it. We just stick to the basic stuff though.
    And maybe TMI, but it can be a turn-on just putting it on each other. ;)
  • I don't have a problem with any of it. I used to, but then I realized that other people just don't care. It's a natural part being in a relationship and getting married.
    I would rather be a little embarassed by buying condoms and lube instead of having a baby so early into the marriage. :)

First Look
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_family-planning-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:e484e402-118b-4de7-b763-4687042ea5bdPost:1af0c977-f293-4737-9ac6-d81a1ecd2700">Re: 'family planning'</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't have a problem with any of it. I used to, but then I realized that other people just don't care. It's a natural part being in a relationship and getting married.<strong> I would rather be a little embarassed by buying condoms and lube instead of having a baby so early into the marriage. :)</strong>
    Posted by peachykeen26[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Aint that the truth!</div>
    PostCeremony-131.1
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_family-planning-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:e484e402-118b-4de7-b763-4687042ea5bdPost:1af0c977-f293-4737-9ac6-d81a1ecd2700">Re: 'family planning'</a>:
    [QUOTE] I would rather be a little embarassed by buying condoms and lube instead of having a baby so early into the marriage. :)
    Posted by peachykeen26[/QUOTE]

<div>I'm confused about why that's embarrassing?</div>
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_family-planning-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:e484e402-118b-4de7-b763-4687042ea5bdPost:a9377a2a-2627-47be-a427-fbc07f4d76a6">Re:'family planning'</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:'family planning': Depending on the type of condoms you use, you may not need it. We don't use them, so the lube makes LMing bearable, even before I got pregnant. I've also<strong> found that the "fancier" types are more likely to cause irritation</strong>, and that's a place that just shouldn't be irritated.
    Posted by fpaemp2011[/QUOTE]

Good to know.  I'd hate to try something only to find out that irritates my skin!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_family-planning-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:e484e402-118b-4de7-b763-4687042ea5bdPost:b6401d18-3fc1-4aa9-8b13-3122cdeb19b3">Re: 'family planning'</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 'family planning' : I'm confused about why that's embarrassing?
    Posted by mrandmrsbrist[/QUOTE]

<div>I don't think she meant having a baby would be embarrassing, but buying condoms is worth the temporary embarassment compared to a surprise baby and all that comes with. </div>
    PostCeremony-131.1
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_family-planning-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:e484e402-118b-4de7-b763-4687042ea5bdPost:0da9a6cf-8917-4905-9e28-f54274bd872e">Re: 'family planning'</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 'family planning' : I don't think she meant having a baby would be embarrassing, but buying condoms is worth the temporary embarassment compared to a surprise baby and all that comes with. 
    Posted by RebeccaJac[/QUOTE]

<div>Yes this. There is no embarassment in having a baby, at all! I would love one, but its just not a smart move right now.</div><div>
    </div>

First Look
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards