Moms and Maids

Brides Maid Waiting to buy a dress?

Hi All,

I have one bridesmaid in my party is expecting to get her dress way later than the othyers. We just picked out the dresses this week (I have a wedding August 13th of this year) and it's estimated that its going to take two months for the dress to order and one month for a fitting....so it's looking like June for the BM's that ordered their dresses this week. She Won't be able to get her dress until the end of April, we are thinking or after...

She says she is financially struggling, which I understand. The dresses are $115 and  I offered to help her pay for the dress, so she can be a part of the wedding etc. She said no to my help which is fine...and I know she is responsible for her dress..

I am just nervous about it being cut kind of close...and want some advice from others who know more than myself on how to handle the situation or just leave it be :)

Thanks!

Re: Brides Maid Waiting to buy a dress?

• jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ordering by the end of April is fine.  That means it should come in a the end of June.  If the salon is saying it will take a month to alter, if it even needs to be altered, then she can go to a dry cleaner that offers alterations.  It shouldn't take that long to alter a dress.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_brides-maid-waiting-buy-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:602f1804-181c-43ff-904b-6bd7f6359941Post:8f496134-3a34-47b6-992f-3f371657f078">Brides Maid Waiting to buy a dress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi All, I have one bridesmaid in my party is expecting to get her dress way later than the othyers. We just picked out the dresses this week (I have a wedding August 13th of this year) and it's estimated that its going to take two months for the dress to order and one month for a fitting....so it's looking like June for the BM's that ordered their dresses this week. She Won't be able to get her dress until the end of April, we are thinking or after... She says she is financially struggling, which I understand. The dresses are $115 and  I offered to help her pay for the dress, so she can be a part of the wedding etc. She said no to my help which is fine...and I know she is responsible for her dress.. I am just nervous about it being cut kind of close...and want some advice from others who know more than myself on how to handle the situation or just leave it be :) Thanks!
    Posted by essence021[/QUOTE]
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Her one and only responsibility is to get the dress.  Don't treat her like a child.  Let this go and worry about something else.  If it's certain that she won't be able to order the dress in time, you can deal with it then.  For now you're stressing over a "what if," and that's never wise.

If it makes you feel better, two of my BMs didn't even select their dresses until about six weeks out.  They had them by the day of the wedding, that was all that mattered.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • edited December 2011
    As long as she knows how long the dress takes to arrive and orders accordingly, everything should be fine. Hell, my MOH/sister was the last one to order her dress. I simply told her after we went to try on dresses what the timeframe was. Even though she was the last one to order, her dress still came in with plenty of time left and some time to spare as well.
  • ekutlusekutlus member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I totally understand how you feel. My MOH lost her job in November and after some serious misunderstandings I ended up purchasing her dress in mid January. We are getting married in May and the dress would get her in April. I'm really glad I ordered her dress, just because it was one last thing I had to worry about (and I did have to worry about it because I know my sister, she puts everything off til the last minute).
    Created by Wedding Favors
  • CddyshackerCddyshacker member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If it gets to the end of April and she still hasn't ordered the dress, let her know it would make you a lot less nervous if you could order for her and then she could pay you back (or not) when she gets the chance.
  • edited December 2011
    Offer to buy it for her for now and ask if she can jsut apy you back. This way it comes in on time and she will not feel bad about you taking care of it. She can give you small payments to pay it off.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards