Canada-Ontario

Store for Non-White Wedding Dress?

Hi,

I'm new to this board. I got engaged two weeks ago, and we are aiming for an end of March wedding.

I'm not really into white dresses, and am looking for suggestions of stores in Toronto that would stock non-white dresses. Pale pastels would be good. To add further complications, I'm under 5 feet tall and can't shop until October (I'm not in the city right now), so the turn around time including alterations will need to be less than 6 months. Maybe a long bridemaid's dress would be the best solution?

Currently, the only store I can think of is Want Boutique. Would Jealous Bridesmaids be any good?

Thanks!

Re: Store for Non-White Wedding Dress?

• Jewel224Jewel224 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

If you're looking for actual samples, hard to say.  A lot of designers are making dresses in colours now.  Could you not try on a dress that's available in a certain colour and then order it?  

Where are you right now? 

• unplainjaneunplainjane member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i've seen on SYTTD that some designers will make dresses in different colours but it seems like it's more the high end designers do that. i'd call around and see what bridal stores say. like you mentioned you totally could order a bridesmaid dress as they come in lots of different colours. and some look actually a lot like wedding dresses! when i was looking for dresses i wanted something very simple and a couple of places they suggested an option could be to get a bridesmaid's dress in white. yes jealous bridesmaids has lots of bridesmaids dresses. so does dress room and ritche.
  • edited December 2011
    I would consider checking online and having it custom-made
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm currently wrapping up my graduate degree so I cannot get to Toronto and shop until October after my defense. I'm worried about ordering a dress in such a short timeline.

I never thought of having something custom made. Since I'm very petite (4'10), that might be the way to go. Does anyone have a suggestion for a seamstress in Toronto? Unfortunately the seamstress I used to go to passed away recently.
  • edited December 2011
    you could try fashion crimes on queen street - it's not a bridal store but they do have some bridal dresses (my sister got hers from there - think long and slinky). They also have hundreds of different dresses in every colour imaginable, so could be a possibility.
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would go for a bridesmaid dress - there are tons of them that look exactly like wedding dresses, but in colour.  I know many brides who get a white bridesmaid dress as their wedding dress too!  I'm only 5'1, and alterations and hemming were no problem, so don't worry about height issues.  Very few can just wear a wedding dress off the rack, as is!
  • Jewel224Jewel224 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My godsister is having hers done at Veronica's Fashions on Bloor St. West.  She's able to copy any dress using a style number from another dress shop or one that you saw in a magazine and she'll give a better price!
  • edited December 2011
    <div>How about try getting one custom made from a shop on Ebay? We did and were happy with the price, results and turnaround time (3 weeks)</div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_store-non-white-wedding-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:613Discussion:d817395f-6c9c-448a-ba2d-ab23d0a92155Post:7727a830-ba74-4536-9084-ec28496d339c">Re: Store for Non-White Wedding Dress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the suggestions. I'm currently wrapping up my graduate degree so I cannot get to Toronto and shop until October after my defense. I'm worried about ordering a dress in such a short timeline. I never thought of having something custom made. Since I'm very petite (4'10), that might be the way to go. Does anyone have a suggestion for a seamstress in Toronto? Unfortunately the seamstress I used to go to passed away recently.
    Posted by petite+engineer[/QUOTE]
  • edited December 2011
    MRS. Bridal Boutique is a new store in Toronto (Yorkville). They carry all different styles and price points - definitely worth checking out!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards