Not Engaged Yet
Options

coffee makers

Guys, my coffee maker died. It had a good life, it lived six years. It moved all over California and Arizona with me. RIP coffee maker.

(And my espresso machine went on strike the same day. Stupid mo fo kitchen appliances failing me!)

So... I need a replacement. Like, really need one. Should I finally get a Keurig? Or a CBTL (click)? Or replace the drip coffee maker?
www.nurseyk.weebly.com

Re: coffee makers

• Options
    I love my Keurig!

• Options
    I love our Keurig...it's so convenient.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Beads921Beads921 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I hated the Keurig when my roommate had one. It was really expensive (the inserts I mean) for such a little cup of coffee - it was an actual cup - and the machine was loud. I think they've improved them since then though (this was 4 years ago) - the offices down the hall from mine this summer had one and it seemed nicer with more options for cup size. 

I probably still wouldn't buy one though. I rarely have coffee unless FI has already made it, and he drinks more than 1 cup per day at home anyway. Plus, I think a Keurig would be really inconvenient for company...

ETA: Also, you couldn't make tea in the Keurig my roommate had because it would taste like coffee. Not sure if that's still an issue or if it would factor into your decision.

ETA2: To be clear, I'd replace the drip coffee maker.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_coffee-makers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:3fe1cc0e-df3e-4d33-a2c9-1b6a77361e77Post:78e15208-ed8c-422e-aed0-f3e5d79abe53">Re:coffee makers</a>:
    [QUOTE]What makes the Keurig so awesome? I just can't see the appeal of it only making ONE cup at a time...
    Posted by buggle2[/QUOTE]

For me it is the fact that I am the only one in the house who drinks coffee, so one cup at a time is fine (plus I can reuse one pod a couple times in a morning and be a.ok). It also is quick, makes a cup in about a minute, and you can adjust the strength of your coffee. It also does more than coffee... tea, lemonade, hot chocolate. Nomnom. You can also buy a refillable K-Pod and put in your own coffee (which is what I do most of the time - I am addicted to freshly ground beans). Or sometimes I put tea with a spring of mint in the pod (not sure if you're suppose to or not) and make mint tea.

I guess I just love the overall convenience of it all.

As for the cross-over between coffee/tea. Its not bad in my machine (1 year old), but I clean it regularly, and if I swap between coffee and tea (or anything else) I run a couple rounds of clear water (I do one round of clear water after each use anyway). I don't have an issue with the cross-over taste.

My FILs also have one of these too, but they have drip pots too. Sometimes they like to make a whole pot, sometimes they only want one cup. (Especially late at night decaff).

ETA: Playing the DA - A friend got one of those fancy schmancy ones that makes awesome-possom drinks, and I have to say.... I love it. Though, I can get a similar effect using my electric whisk to froth up my milk!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_coffee-makers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:3fe1cc0e-df3e-4d33-a2c9-1b6a77361e77Post:106a84a4-29cc-4d24-a995-a1fd5b516d77">Re: coffee makers</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: coffee makers : LTG, I think you just sold me on it. The variety sounds awesome, but I haven't been able to wrap my head around paying $12 for 18 k-pods. It just seems super expensive. But if I can use them more than once or use a refillable one....hmm. I might need one now.
    Posted by buggle2[/QUOTE]

Great, just make sure to send a note to Keurig so I get my commission! (I wish!) Yeah, $12 or MORE for 16-18 pods is crazy, but for me, it is worth it. I wouldn't suggest reusing the hot chocolate ones though. It gets watery.

I can probably get 2-3 uses out of 1 pod in the morning, but by the 3rd cup it is weaker, but I don't mind. (Plus I am a heavy cream gal, so that could be a reason too?) I use the middle setting (however many oz that is).  However, I do find that I much prefer the refillable one. Plus, it is washable, and while up front it costs a bit more, over it's use, it is about the same as using coffee filters. I got mine on sale around Christmas for $7.99 (Usually $16 I think). Being able to buy your own coffee is also a plus. Wish I could let you try out my machine!

ETA: I reuse in one morning. Once it has set for a while I throw it out. Didn't want to confuse you :)
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If I could, I would get a Keurig.  Although the little cups seem wasteful.  I just would never want more than a cup at a time.  We've got just a crappy little coffee maker, but it does what I need it to.  It can be pretty messy though.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    We have a crappy little coffee make. It makes coffee though so I can live with it for now.

We used to have a Keurig. I want one again so badly. My whole family are HUGE coffee drinkers though and it was just way to expensive to keep buying the coffee pads for it. We would reuse them as much as we could but in the end it had to go. I would get it again since now it's just me and FI, and I really am the only big coffee drinker. I could make it last much longer.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    I have a Keurig for when I just want a single cup and a french press for those days when I need caffine by the gallon. I would recommend both, but am particularly fond of my french press :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards