New Jersey

David's Bridal - can you bargain? Alterations? Where else to get a veil? Many questions!

After thinking I had found "the" dress, on a whim I went to David's Bridal in Wayne today and now "the original" dress has some stiff competition.  I honestly didn't realize the quality & variety of dresses that they would have...
Anyway my first question is: can you bargain at a store like David's Bridal?  It seems to me that at a chain, the price on the tag is the price you pay.
Secondly, anyone have experiences with the alterations dept @ Wayne's David's Bridal?  I have heard that once you purchase a dress there, the experience goes downhill -- horror stories like while they're holding the dress for you, they allow other's to try it on.  Who knows if this is true, but regardless, I was just wondering.  Similarly, anyone know any places that would do alterations (a seamstress, etc.)?
And lastly - I know the kind of veil I want (ivory mantilla), but honestly that was the one thing at David's in which quality seemed to lack. Anyone know where I can purchase that kind of veil?
Sorry for all the questions.. but thank you in advance for any input and advice! Smile
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: David's Bridal - can you bargain? Alterations? Where else to get a veil? Many questions!

• goaliegirlgoaliegirl member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
     As for bargaining, I didn't try to bargain because the dress was already so reasonable priced, so I can't comment.

As for alterations in Wayne, I got my alterations done there as well as my mom for her dress and they did a great job on both, no porblems at all.     As for others trying your dress on, when it comes in originally, I went and picked it up and kept it at my mom's house until I had my first fitting and then took it back, so highly doubt they let others try it on.    If you buy the dress there, personally i would get the alterations done there because if they do mess up, then you can make them get you a new dress, if you go somewhere else and it gets messed up, you will be out of luck.  The ladies in the alterations department were very nice and did a great job on our dresses.

i can't speak about the veils because I found one i loved at DB when I bought my dress.

• StefaniBelStefaniBel member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to a different David's Bridal, the one in Springfield.
    About bargain... It must be difficult to do it since is a big store.  But I didn't try, so I can't really tell if is possible or not.
    But the lady who helped me gave me discounts in everything without my request.  When I went to the balcony to pay, she was with a bar code for discounts and she was giving discounts in everything I purchased that day.  I got 100 dollars discount on my dress, and 15% off everything else...shoes, they skirt used under the dress to give volume (I forgot the name), the long bra, the veil... I wasn't going to buy the tiara there because I knew I could find cheaper, but everything together end up in such a low price (from what I expected) that I just end up buying there.
    Even the bridesmaids dresses were 145 dollars, and we paid 125 dollars.
    The veil...I found one that went perfectly with my dress, so I can't help you with that.
    And I haven't done alterations yet.  But I am planning to have mine done there if necessary.  I talked to the person responsible and she explained to me about the pricing.  I didn't think was so bad, and they treated me nicely.  My bridesmaids with do it themselves with people they know if they need.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lynzandgreg1lynzandgreg1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I found my dress at DB as well. I went to the one in Wayne. I didn't have to bargain because my dress was an amazing price! I got my veil there as well because it matched my dress exactly (lace around the edges). However, I have also heard horror stories about getting the dress altered there not only that they ruined dresses but the alterations cost more than the dress. I am going with someone else for my alterations. I got my bridesmaids dresses there and we got a discount on those as well. Goodluck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ejeyeejeye member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks all.  I guess my question about bargaining is due to the fact that if I order the dress by tomorrow (I went yesterday to try on) it's on sale $100 off.  I do NOT like feeling rushed into a decision, even though I'm pretty sure this is the dress.  If I order the dress in a week, is it reasonable to request the $100 off?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • goaliegirlgoaliegirl member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    You could ask...the sale always seems to be going on.  Ask them when the sale is over for this time and see.  I don't think that is an unreasonable request.
  • StefaniBelStefaniBel member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't mention this when I wrote before.  The same thing happened to me.
    When I first went to DB about two months ago I was told that I needed to but the dress in two days in order to get the 100 dollars off.  It was my first day trying dresses, so I didn't buy the dress.
    when I went back last week, about two months after my first visit they still gave me the 100 dollars off my dress price.  So don't let this rush your decision.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • princissnsprincissns member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just a quick comment on where to buy a veil.... I customed ordered my veil from a seller on etsy.com, and it is BEAUTIFUL (not to mention the fact that it cost me $26!) There are a number of sellers on the website who make bridal veils, and most will custom make a veil for half the price of what you would pay at a bridal salon. Good Luck!
  • kellykeadykellykeady member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I bought my dress at the Davids Bridal in Wayne! They were very nice and I got a decent price for my dress so I never thought to bargain. I went to the Davids Bridal in Paramus for alterations because of the recent flooding in the Wayne area. I was scared it would flood again in the area and my dress would get ruined. The alteration people in Paramus were very nice and I paid I think $140 for my dress to be hemmed (quite a bit, I'm only 5'3 and had short heels) and a 5 point bustle. I didn't like the veils on davids bridal but I found a beautiful veil at east west bridal in Secaucus.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards