Attire & Accessories Forum

Sash question

I have a Vera Wang mermaid style gown and for visual interest, I chose a DB malibu blue sash for my waist.  The back of the dress has small buttons running down the length of it until it gets to the ruffles.  My question, to cut the sash and fix it to the dress just at the button edge or to tie it and let it drape down.  My concerns are that the sash will cover the buttons, making them a pointless detail, it will hide the shape of the dress in the back which I assume part of the appeal of the dress is that it conforms to the bride's shape, and finally, that the long sash just doesn't look good on a dress with ruffles.  I've always just seen the sashes drape on dresses that are flat.  I only am considering it draping now because the seamstress that I'm working with said it looked beautiful like that. Any tips or advice or suggestions?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Sash question

• Unless you have a picture of the sash with the dress, it's hard to judge. A picture of a model doesn't really do justice to what you're describing.

Personally, I'd never wear a DB sash with a Vera anyways Wink
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_sash-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:18d9a162-6dd1-40cd-b0c5-022d8d143fd1Post:b5197b53-5a93-49b3-a9f8-345acf38cd0f">Re: Sash question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Unless you have a picture of the sash with the dress, it's hard to judge. A picture of a model doesn't really do justice to what you're describing. Personally, I'd never wear a DB sash with a Vera anyways
    Posted by itzMS[/QUOTE]

Lol, I hear ya and I loved the Vera sashes too, but I wanted something with a little more color :). Vera Wang style is amazing and really not much DB can compare, BUT, it's what I got hehe
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Why not take your sash and wind it around your waist a few times and then tie the ends to the side into a nice bow or fancy knot (kind of like the picture)?  This way you won't have all the extra material hanging down which I think would clash with the bottom of your dress.  I also don't think the sash will interfere that much with your buttons.  Many brides wrap a sash around their dress when they have buttons down their backs.

IMO, I wouldn't wear a blue sash with that dress.  I would instead have gotten a pretty beaded belt/sash and had it fixed to the dress if I felt a sash was necessary.  But I also dislike colored sashes because I find that they distract me from the rest of the bridal look.

• Agree with Maggie that the color may take away from the beauty of the dress.  I would wear either a light color sash or beaded belt either with a short tie in the back (so the tails don't drop over the ruffles) or sewn on to the dress.  There are photos on the DB site (see the photo reviews on the bottom of the page) of ladies with the dress and different types of sashes/beaded belts.
  • Thanks for the tips ladies, much appreciated! I do agree that the dress may last look bettercwith a different sash, but I didn't really think things through when I bought it on a first reaction. I think I may still keep looking because the dress above thd ruffles is very plain so it needs something, but maybe I can find better.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sadly, it did not come with a sash. What do you think would be a sane coursd of action at this point? Keep looking even though I have already purchased the blue sash, or just accept my knee jerk reaction? I guess pretty much a "what would you do" question
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'll check those places out, thanks!  :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards