September 2013 Weddings

How Do You Ladies Find the Time??

My big day is Sept 14, and as I read you ladies post you all are on a roll with stuff and I feel as if I havent done anything and going a little crazy. I have lots of ideas, I have them some what sorted out. We have set a budget, pick our bridal party, I have an appt for the dress and we are going to look at reception venues in Dec. Issue 1 is I'm planning from across country, I live in IL but we're getting married in VA so I won't be able to check out anything until winter break. Have all those appts lined up. Secondly, I'm a doc student and school takes over my life!!! I just took my prelim exams about 3 weeks ago and I have been so tired from staying up till 4 am wedding stuff hasnt crossed my mind. Now I have this big presentation in DC this weekend, and I'm working on 2 publications plus starting my disseration. And I have a 7 month old!!! So I'm super behind on planning and I'm feeling so overwhelmed whew had to get that out!!! I'm just wondering how do you ladies find the time to plan, I feel like a walking zombie lol 

Re: How Do You Ladies Find the Time??

• Don't stress out!  You are doing the best you can!  Maybe even try talking to a VA bride board to see if they have any suggestions?  Maybe they can send you some quotes on venues they have checked out?

We have an insane amount of weddings next year surrounding ours and here in IL, things book up SO SO SO SO fast.  We also are paying for everything on our own so I wanted to have things set in stone so I knew what I had to save.

You will be OK!

***Sept 2013 Jan. Siggy Challange - Bouquet Inspiration!***
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Wow your busy!! Well I am the type of person if there isn't a plan I panic so I am way ahead of the game because of that!  Second do you have a photographer yet? My Future cousin lives in Virgina and is an amazing photographer and she has decent prices and will work with you!  So if you still need one I will send you her info!  

Also if your so busy when you have time you could always ask your made of honor to help you with the DIY stuff! 
  • Breathe!  I'm also planning from afar and had to figure out how to juggle school (not as rough as yours though - Health Information Management), FT work, a 2 year old and then a freaking wedding.  I made lists - visions, DIY, must haves, nice to haves etc.  From there, I broke it down according to time and effort, and have been tackling everything that way.  I can feel myself getting flustered at times, but remind myself to take it one step at a time because having two projects running at once kills my resolve.

Do as much legwork as you can before making the trip to VA.  I was in near constant with potential vendors prior to visiting so I had a good grasp on what they were about, and they knew me as well.  They'd sent pictures and details, I asked lots of questions so by the time we got there, all I really had to do was either sign or veto.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
    Daisypath Vacation tickers
    *** September 2013 Signature Challenge: Hair Inspiration! ***
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Deep breath.  You're going to be OK.  I wouldn't be where I am today in the planning process if it wasn't for my amazing FI.  When I start to get busy, he steps up and takes care of stuff.  Then when things calm down, I just sit down and bang things out.

If you can afford it, I'd hire a planner.  I bet it would be worth every penny to alleviate some of the stress.  If you can't, could your FI pick up some of the slack?

It's going to get done.  There are people who plan successful weddings in weeks (not months) and you still have a lot of time.  You don't need a lot of DIY projects, or tiny details that nobody will remember.  Prioritize what means the most to the two of you and work on those things.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2013-weddings_how-do-you-ladies-find-the-time?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:26a515ec-8009-4599-b81d-5edee3b3fb3cDiscussion:4ba02dbe-8c44-4b54-9348-9cf1fe97fbf0Post:6da58782-b135-45a3-9b9c-8b56e25eb60d">How Do You Ladies Find the Time??</a>:
    [QUOTE]My big day is Sept 14, and as I read you ladies post you all are on a roll with stuff and I feel as if I havent done anything and going a little crazy. I have lots of ideas, I have them some what sorted out. We have set a budget, pick our bridal party, I have an appt for the dress and we are going to look at reception venues in Dec. Issue 1 is I'm planning from across country, I live in IL but we're getting married in VA so I won't be able to check out anything until winter break. Have all those appts lined up. Secondly, I'm a doc student and school takes over my life!!! I just took my prelim exams about 3 weeks ago and I have been so tired from staying up till 4 am wedding stuff hasnt crossed my mind. Now I have this big presentation in DC this weekend, and I'm working on 2 publications plus starting my disseration. And I have a 7 month old!!! So I'm super behind on planning and I'm feeling so overwhelmed whew had to get that out!!! I'm just wondering how do you ladies find the time to plan, I feel like a walking zombie lol 
    Posted by drmass2013[/QUOTE]

first of all breathe. secondly  get a wedding planner
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Try to get some of the menus and pricing if you havent already before you even go see the places... Sometimes that will rule out places right away at least it did for me. There were some places that I did not like anything they had on their menu so I didn't even bother going to look and then others that were waaay too expensive. It cut the list I had of places to see from like 15 down to 3 or 4 even though I ended up only actually going to 2
    Wedding Countdown Ticker ~~December Sept. 2013 Siggy Challenge~~ Now & Then Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2013-weddings_how-do-you-ladies-find-the-time?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:26a515ec-8009-4599-b81d-5edee3b3fb3cDiscussion:4ba02dbe-8c44-4b54-9348-9cf1fe97fbf0Post:794384e6-1e9a-4193-9a66-e088f56c6d91">Re: How Do You Ladies Find the Time??</a>:
    [QUOTE]You don't need a lot of DIY projects, or tiny details that nobody will remember.  <strong>Prioritize what means the most to the two of you and work on those things.</strong>
    Posted by BostonGIrl4732[/QUOTE]

<div>Yes!  This is what I left out my earlier post.  After I made lists, I thought realistically about my time and reevaluated everything I had written.  There are still a healthy amount of things I plan to do, but when I was honest, for example, I changed favors from handmade coasters to purchased caramel apples.  Could I have done them?  Sure, but time is precious.</div><div>
    </div><div>Prioritize!</div>
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
    Daisypath Vacation tickers
    *** September 2013 Signature Challenge: Hair Inspiration! ***
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thanks for the advice lately. i have gotten lost of menus and pics and what not from the vendors. Made out what projects will be DIY and who will be helping with that. Seems like I just had a panic moment. Wish I could hire a wedding planner but umm on a graduate student salary that defintely isn't happening lol 
  • Take a breath... Tackle one thing at a time... there's plenty of time...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • You will figure it out!  Depending on the details you want to include, it can take a lot of time.  Or, you can keep things really simple and make it easy on yourself.  It's all about how involved/particular you want to be, and keeping the right mindset.  I've done some stuff but not a lot of the stuff The Knot timeline says should be done.  Dont' compare yourself to that or other brides...everyone has their own style and pace.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Haha! I CAN'T find the time. I hired a planner and respond to e-mails at lunch:) You're not alone! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards