Catholic Weddings

Latin

I know that there are ladies on here that attend mass in Latin, and I'm curious about it.  Do you attend the novus ordo mass in Latin or the Tridentine mass? What do you like about it? Have you studied Latin? Do you use a missal or similar to follow along? (I don't necessarily want answers to all the questions, they were just some thoughts off the top of my head to prompt discussion.

I'm very curious about the Latin mass. I parish nearby celebrates a Latin Mass every Sunday and certain weekdays, and I keep saying I want to go. I love languages and, while I haven't studied Latin, I've dabbled in it (have wanted to learn it properly for some time) and studied all the Romance languages, so I can generally pick up on Latin somewhat. 

During Lent, I attended a daily mass (generally English) at the parish with Latin masses, and the priest used Latin for the Eucharistic prayer and it was beautiful. I would just love to hear about other people's experiences with Latin.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Latin

• Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I attend the Tridentine and I love it. I will say I was uncomfortable with it at first and it took about a year before I felt like I really knew everything.

I love it. I love that it is the originial liturgy. To me, it is more pensive, it more apparently celebrates the "sacrifice" of the mass. I think the traditional altar and having the congregation and the priest all facing it is unifying. It feels more grounded in the foundation of the church. I also feel like it promotes a more prayerful atmosphere. An added bonus is the music (which is optional and will vary church to church) - chanting and latin hyms which I find much more respectful and truer to our origins.

I have a missal that is latin-english that I follow. I've never studied latin, but by now I am familiar with most of it. I can recite the creed and most of the regular prayers in latin without needing my missal. I highly recommend giving it a shot. It might be overwhelming and strange at first but if you continue to attend it will become more comfortable.
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    ditto everything Riss said.

i feel like i understand what is going on during Latin (tridentine) mass, whereas wehn i attend the novus ordo, i cant seem to figure out what is going on in between all of the singing and parishioner involvement.  i have a couple of missals, but i usually dont use one since i know the parts.  i also grew up attending the Latin - i didnt actually attend a novus ordo mass (other than weddings) until i was well into my 20's.  

H still isnt that comfortable with it, but again he grew up with the novus ordo, so he has the same feelings as istated above, only in the reverse.  he was willing to compromise and have our wedding in the latin, since hte vows, etc. are in english.  if we have kids,  want them to learn both so that they are not more comfortable with one than the other. 

the biggest thing is to make sure you attend a latin mass in a parish/diocese authorized to say the latin and that the church is in communion with Rome.  there are schismatic groups out there, most notably the society of st pius X (SSPX) who say beautiful masses in latin with deep beliefs - but they are not authorized to do so.
  • clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I'm a regular Novus Ordo goer but I've been to a Tridentine Mass on a few occasions.  Obviously it was different.  The missal they provided helped me to follow along.  If you're Catholic, you never feel like a total outsider no matter what type of Mass you go to, you know what I mean?  That is the beauty of the Catholic Church; that it is universal, and that there are many ways to worship across time and culture.  

If you want to go as a visitor, then it will be a very nice way to understand this different way of worship.  But if you truly want to understand and appreciate the Tridentine Mass, then you have to either do a lot of homework or attend for at least a year.

I also ditto Calypso1977.  Avoid the SSPX group.  They have good interests in mind, but because they feel the differences between them and the Vatican are irreconcilable, they do not recognize the current pope as the head of the Church.  Pope Benedict tried to bring them back in communion with the Church a few years ago, but as of now, nothing yet.
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The tridentine is not the original. The original is the last supper. It wasn't until sometime in the 400s that the liturgy used the common language of latin.
  • clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_latin?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:ba3adb81-0962-4c06-8d81-f5ba70a1f967Post:7f2bf9d3-1945-4853-ba15-9f171ac2ea7a">Re: Latin</a>:
    [QUOTE]The tridentine is not the original. The original is the last supper. It wasn't until sometime in the 400s that the liturgy used the common language of latin.
    Posted by agapecarrie[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto on this, too.  I notice I tend to agree with agapecarrie but she brings up excellent points.  It's important for all Catholics, whether traditionalists or Novus Ordo, to know that the liturgy has been through changes throughout the last two millennium.</div><div>
    </div><div>The Tridentine Mass began only starting from 1570.  Before then, Catholics had different pre-Tridentine Masses.  There are even Catholic Masses that have been using languages like Aramaic, Greek, etc. that have never separated from Rome.  Granted, these are not the Latin Rite, but other Eastern Rites, and about 98% of Catholics are from the Latin Rite.  But the Eastern Rites are just as equal and valid as the Latin Rite.</div><div>
    </div><div>The point is that Catholics have been worshiping in different liturgies all the time.  The Tridentine is not the one and only original.  Some fans of the Tridentine Mass may be tempted to say that it is the superior form of worship.  But each and every Mass, of each and every rite, if validly celebrated, has exactly the same grace.</div>
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_latin?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:ba3adb81-0962-4c06-8d81-f5ba70a1f967Post:7f2bf9d3-1945-4853-ba15-9f171ac2ea7a">Re: Latin</a>:
    [QUOTE]The tridentine is not the original. The original is the last supper. It wasn't until sometime in the 400s that the liturgy used the common language of latin.
    Posted by agapecarrie[/QUOTE]

Of course! Sorry about that!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the thoughts, ladies. I was a history major in college, so I'm comfortable with knowledge that there have been changes in worship and liturgy over the years, and likely will be in the future.

I've often wondered what the Pius X group was, since I've seen a building for them, but it was clearly not a parish identified in the area where it is located, if that makes sense. I'm glad to now know what it is. Actually, it in only in the last few months that I have realized how many schismatic groups still exist that claim to be Catholic without being in communion with Rome.  It makes my regular prayers for Christian unity seem that much more pressing.

The church near me that offers a Latin mass is one of the more conservative in my diocese and, as such, is most definitely in communion with Rome, so I'm not concerned about that! It is actually my "natural" parish (the one closest to me geographically), but fi and I still attend the parish we were both attending when we met. I don't know that I'll ever be a regular Tridentine attendee, for a variety of reasons, but it is definitely something I want to experience and consider.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards