Wedding Invitations & Paper

Wedding Announcements - Tacky or a good compromise?

FMIL has asked for about 30 "extra" invitations for people who say they won't come but want an invitation anyway. My opinion is that it doesn't matter what someone says, once they receive an invitation there's nothing to stop them from coming. Not only can I not afford to pay for them, but they are not her close friends and have never even met FI or me; this is a bad way of putting it, but they are not people who "deserve" an invite. Also, they asked for them. Rude.

So, rather than upsetting a woman whom I love dearly by just telling her "no," I am thinking about letting her have wedding announcements after the fact for these people. That way they get the notice of our wedding that they wanted. But I'm not entirely sure what the etiquette of that is...it might actually be incredibly rude, I really have no idea. Opinions?

Re: Wedding Announcements - Tacky or a good compromise?

• I'd tell her that unless she's OK with paying for the extra guests, you're just going to send announcements after the fact.
  • I agree. I think announcements are made for situations such as these.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Announcements are a quite acceptable, proper way to inform folks who either couldn't make the wedding or weren't invited due to space limitations (they were actually very popular during WWII and Vietnam as many couples had to rush to the altar or couldn't afford to have a large wedding.)  It is traditional to send out your announcements the day of the wedding, so just make sure someone can drop them in the mail that day or right after.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards