New Jersey

Average cost of wedding cake

I understand that most are included in venue packages, but do you know the average cost of a wedding cake in the Northern NJ area?

It would be for 150-200 people, with a few tiers (3 maybe?) Just want to know some ballpark information - might need it is a point of negotiation/switching - maybe.

Thank you for your help!
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
image95 No
image0 Unknown

Re: Average cost of wedding cake

• I should also add that it includes some type of decoration in fondant or whatever is used, but not a TON.  Nothing crazy or super elaborate, but a nice, tiered cake. Thanks again!

image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited January 2013
    My cake was 4 tiers and cost $1400.  The venue covered the first $1000 so all I had to pay was the upcharge.  It was buttercream with fondant accents.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • B2Z728B2Z728 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2013
    I think our cake was the best deal we had for our wedding. Our venue did not provide our cake but recommended a bakery, Le Gateau Suisse in Rockland County. They were great to work with. http://www.legateausuisse.com/

Ours was a 3 tier cake, with butter cream frosting, which was our choice because we liked the taste better, chocolate mousse filling with raspberries, a ribbon of fondant on each layer for a pop color, and roses in between our cake layers, all with some piping accents on each layer. It was $400 for everything. We were blown away by the price and it was honestly the most delicious wedding cake I've ever had. 

ETA: You also get a sample 8 inch cake that has 4 design options on it to help you choose what you'd like, after your initial consultation. Then, on your one year anniversary, you get another 8 inch cake that is a replica of your top tier. No need to save the top of your cake in the freezer for a year! 
    Wedding Venue - Ramsey Golf & Country Club, NJ Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Photographer - Steve Belner, of Photovisions
    Check out my cooking blog, SERIF & SPICE!
    Our wedding has been featured on a wedding blog!

Michaela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Great info - thanks! I appreciate it!

image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• I was told that they start at around $5/slice for a pretty simple design and that most cakes were about $7-$8/slice.
  • JoeAnne2013JoeAnne2013 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2013

This is our inspiration cake, for the same design elements with just a change in color and on a smaller scale to feed 75 guest, the bottom tier being vanilla with chocolate filling and fresh bananas, middle tier of red velvet with cream cheese icing and top tier of carrot with cream cheese icing, we were quoted at $1,110.00 by a bakery in central New Jersey ($600.00 for just the flavors we selected and a base of fondant with fondant bands around the base of each layer; comes out to be $8.00 a slice).

I'm just making a fake verison of this cake myself lol so I will have my 'dream' cake and I'm using the buttercream cake the venue provides as my grooms cake and as the cake we will actually serve; the cake from our venue will cost approximately $400.00 (which is already worked into our package).
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Places I have called charge per guest. Cheapest was $5 per slice for something basic.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards