South Asian Weddings

Outfit change

Hi Ladies!

My FI's family is from Bangladesh but have lived in Canada for over 15 years now. We are having a western ceremony where I walk down the aisle with my white wedding dress. We are fusing both cultures together and I made the decision to change into a lengha at some point after the ceremony.

I want to have my first dance with my father and my FI wearing my white wedding dress as I imagine it will be more comfortable for me (since I've never worn a lengha before) and it is something I always imagined doing.

Any ideas on when I should change into the traditional south asian attire? My FI seems to think I should just do it before the reception starts but I really want that first dance to be in my white dress!!

Help! I also don't know how awkward it will be to leave the reception and enter a second time?

Re: Outfit change

• edited December 2011
    What if you came in for your first dance and dance with your father and then dismiss people for dinner? While they are eating, you would be able to change and then come back again for whatever else you have planned...You might want to be sure someone keeps food for you though...:)

• edited December 2011
    That's a good idea! We aren't having very many speeches so could postpone until my "re-entrance"....and then everyone would see my outfit change when we give our speech!!!
  • edited December 2011
    I was going to suggest that you change when dinner is served as well. I think that's probably your best bet.

And I am not sure what you mean by re-entrance? Do you mean a formal announced re-entrance?
    ExerciseMilestone
  • edited December 2011
    Yes - that is what I meant raangoli...or do I just slip back in my chair and continue to eat dinner?

I think this will work out nicely! Thank you all for your support! Now I have to go shopping for a lengha....my soon to be sister-in-law will be helping :)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_south-asian-weddings_outfit-change?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:430Discussion:d3fee939-70be-49b2-b928-69ea0a0e8a92Post:8978f49c-db2c-4812-9eb1-60075539ea5f">Re: Outfit change</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes - that is what I meant raangoli...or do I j<strong>ust slip back in my chair and continue to eat dinner</strong>? I think this will work out nicely! Thank you all for your support! Now I have to go shopping for a lengha....my soon to be sister-in-law will be helping :)
    Posted by hendersonsarah[/QUOTE]

I would probably just reenter unannounced and continue to eat dinner. I think it may potentially be awkward to be reannounced.

Have fun shopping! Let us know how it goes :)
    ExerciseMilestone
  • edited December 2011
    OMG! Thank you so much for posting this question! I was planning on doing the exact same thing! I just didn't know when I was going to change!

We are having 2 ceremonies and have 2 outfits. I have a white dress for the church ceremony in the morning and then changing into a lehenga for the "short" Hindu wedding later that day. Our "fusion" reception is right afterwards but I wanted to change back into the my white dress while FH stays in his Indian suit.

Might wait after the entrees and slip away quietly to change back into the white dress... Hopefully this works....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards