Wisconsin

Venue raised prices post-contract...opinions?

The venue for our ceremony and reception just sent us a revised plated dinner menu, and the chicken dish we were going to pick went from $18 to $23, and the fish went from $18 to $20. We signed a contract in April 2009, and our wedding is in July 2010. The contract says prices are subject to change, but $5 per plate?!

They also sent us an email saying that the tasting was no longer free (now $50), and we will be billed for meetings with the planner beyond one 2-hour meeting a month before the wedding.

How should we approach them about this? We love the site and don't want to change, but we booked them with a certain budget in mind, and that's no longer what's available.

TIA.

Re: Venue raised prices post-contract...opinions?

• hdheinzhdheinz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow...that's a 20% increase per plate...That's a big increase.  When a caterer/venue writes "prices subject to change" it basically is designed to ensure that if food prices increase dramatically, they are covered.  Food prices can increase when there is a shortage of a particular item (lemons, tomatoes, etc.).  They can also increase if overall food prices increase because of something like a drastic spike in fuel prices (like we saw in 2007/2008).  However, a 20% increase is absurd.  I would want a detailed explanation of why they increased their prices so dramatically.  As someone who is not only planning my own wedding, but is also an event planner with a local catering company, I know that food prices are not increasing that much.  I personally do not think the price increase is justified.  Just my opinion (personal and professional).

Second, the fee to meet with your planner is also ridiculous.  If that cost was not shown in the contract you signed, I wouldn't pay it.  And if the contract you signed stated a tasting was complimentary, I wouldn't pay for that either.  I would demand both services free, because the contract you signed stated they would be.

Very scary!!! Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Just curious, but where is this? This is awful.  HD said it well, but I agree I would be furious!
  • toniinzeotoniinzeo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow. I would be livid. I agree...I would ask for an explanation.
    Would you mind sharing the venue location, as that would be helpful if anyone else is planning on using them for how they will have their contracts formed.

Best of luck. I would do some homework and find out what your rights are.
  • edited December 2011
    OMG!!! I Would be going crazy!! Where is this? the fee to meet with your planner is also ridiculous.  If that cost was not shown in the contract you signed, I wouldn't pay it.  And if the contract you signed stated a tasting was complimentary, I wouldn't pay for that either.  I would demand both services free, because the contract you signed stated they would be.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards