Iowa-Des Moines
Options

Reception decor

Alright ladies let's hear what everyone is doing for decor for the reception.  Are you having someone decorate for you, are you DIY, are you renting or buying items?  Just curious to see what everyone is doing!  :)

Re: Reception decor

• Options
    McsweetsMcsweets member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are DIY but are renting items as well!  We got red uplighting from the DJ which will go along the walls, and also under the cake table.  We also got paper lanterns to hang from the ceiling.  Nothing huge ... but enough :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    DIY.  I'm having a rustic theme and plan to use planter boxes and tin buckets.  Wrapping some of them in burlap bags, keeping some plain and some in twigs.  Tying some ribbon around them and then putting fake sunflowers, dahlias, daisies, mums etc. These will be on the table.

Other decor will be mason jars with ribbon bows and candles.  Burlap bags cut and used for banners will hang from our WP table.

I get so excited talking about it and thinking about it.  It will be a lot of work but I think I will be sooo happy with the results.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Something Chic will be decorating for us :-)

Can't wait!
  • Options
    medusia00medusia00 member
    edited December 2011
    This is why I love these boards! Everyone is doing something different and I'm sure they will all turn out great!!

I am DIYing everything, I do have to rent a few things but will be picking them up on Wednesday-Thursday before the wedding! I'm super excited!!

Our "theme" is Paper Lanterns, I have about 80ish to decorate the reception area, I also have about 15 to do the Ceremony space.
    Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Caved and we are having our wedding planner do this.  We are using rental items from her and she is setting the whole thing up.  I love to DIY and do crafty things, and normally I would jump at the chance to do this kind of thing.  However, one of the biggest weights taken off was the day we decided to go this route.  There are still several things for the reception that are diy- step dad is making pedestals out of wood for 1/2 the centerpiece vases, making the favors ourselves and all the stationary type items. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am paying a florist to decorate the church and the reception venue. We will have mini hydrangeas, baby breath and orchids in the church; at the reception hall, we will have two kinds of centerpieces: one is three vases with orchids submersed in water with crystals and candles, the other one are manzanita branches with crystals, tea lights and orchids. The venue is beautiful and doesn't need a lot of decor, but I am using my own linens (satin and organza) and golden charge plates. We will have also a lounge in same place there.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Lots of great, unique ideas!! 
    If you are renting where is everybody renting items from?  Also how far in advance should one do this?  I don't want to have a small selection and wait too long and also I am not sure how many centerpieces I'll need bc I don't know how many guests we will have yet.  How are you all determining this?  Thanks for the help! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am letting the reception hall staff do this! Our reception is at the Savery hotel and they provide hurricane vases with a candle inside and then a few votive candles around, all on a mirrored tile. Then there will be red favor boxes at each table setting. That's it! I'm lazy! The cake will be cupcakes actually and we have ideas for that. But otherwise, just letting the pretty ballroom be a pretty ballroom.
  • Options
    milesbellamilesbella member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're having a vintage theme.  I've been collecting old vintage bottles for almost a year.  We'll have 3 old books stacked on each table with 3-5 vintage bottles filled with real flowers (dahlias, button mums, globe thistle, and ranunculus).  I've also got some small vintage looking wood signs with love phrases that will go on some tables, as well as votive candles.  Our florist will be doing most of the decorating but I do have a lot of the supplies that I'll need to bring for her to use.
  • Options
    McsweetsMcsweets member
    edited December 2011
    We are renting our items from Celebrations and Party Time in Ames (our wedding is in Boone) and I would say to rent things 6mos-3mos in advance if there isn't much around there.  In Des Moines or a bigger city like that where there are several companies to choose from you may be able to do it 3 mos in advance or even sooner than that.

Side note: We were going to rent our tableclothes but found online to buy them for close to the same price and then we will sell them afterwards!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We're renting items from Party Time in Ames too! We got our tablecloths, dance floor and centerpiece vases from them. Then we'll be decorating everything else with paper lanterns, floating candles, scattered flower petals. Not much but it'll look nice :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards