Michigan-Detroit

How much do/did your tux rentals cost?

I've heard some horrible things about Men's Warehouse so I encouraged FI to go to President Tuxedo.  We went yesterday and found a tux for $150, plus he gets a free rental, and 2 weeks after we return all the tuxes he gets a free suit to keep.

He was wondering if $150 is a lot for the groomsmen to pay.  I thought it was average, but I'm not sure as I've never done this before :)  I told him he could check out MW if he wanted, or if he wanted to lessen the cost at President, he could chip in $150 and take $30 off each GMs tux (there are 5 GM total).

How much did your tuxes cost for your groomsmen? Where did you get your tuxes from?
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: How much do/did your tux rentals cost?

• We went to Men's Warehouse (we had to use them due to where the other groomsmen were located). We went with the mid-grade tux and it was $170 without shoes.  I know that they do cheaper versions.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mpicklmpickl member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    $150 sounds reasonable to me, especially considering most bridesmaids dresses at bridal salons run right between $100-200.
     Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Because our GM & Kevin were wearing black, we just told them to wear a black suit & white shirt with black shoes. We gave them silk silver ties and pocket squares as part of their gifts.

Kevin's suit at Sears (pants & jackets are bought separately) was $120. The GM who didn't have black suits bought them.

This seemed to us the logical choice since all were men who at one time or another will need a black suit, and they cost approximately the same to buy as rent. Our wedding was in the summer, so the jackets were off as soon as they reached the reception, and all black pants look the same.

Here is how they looked as a group. You can't really tell they are not wearing rented tuxes.
  • Our Men's Wearhouse tuxes were $150-$160 and I think they included shoes
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We went with President Tuxedo. FI picked kinda of an expensive tux so rather then have the guys pay for that, we went with a tux that was cheaper but complimented his. His was free.

I think they are $170 with shoes (which still seems expensive). I know FI could have got a tux for just over $150 but he didn't care for the style.
    image 223 Invited
    image 127 Wouldn't miss it
    image 64 Passed on the fun
    image 32 Still undecided
    RSVP Date: August 1, 2012 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • FI stood up in a wedding back in the fall, the tuxes were from MW, the rental included shoes and I am pretty sure it was around $160. I am not going with either. Like 3 out of 6 of the guys had problems.To be honest, I hated how both companies conducted themselves at the numerous bridal shows I went to. I plan on going with a more local company that were so helpful at a bridal show. They are in Livonia. www.gerardtuxedo.com
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • $150-range from Men's Wearhouse is what we went with.  Contrary to what you've heard, I've actually heard nothing but great things about them!  I've heard the issues with President Tuxedo.  Guess it just depends on who you know!
    Anniversary
  • The men's warehouse by me has awful service and were not helpful. We went with Presidents Tuxedo, if you have one close by you should see if your bridal store (where you are getting your dress or your BM's dresses) has an arrangement or discount deal with any tux places. We just happened to get one of their promotions where we got $$30 off of each GM tux but it seems like the type of promotion that they always have somehow. Ours were about $100 each so we had a great deal and they all looked great. My husband also got his free and the free suit, I think the free rental was due to renting a total of 12 tuxes.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_how-much-dodid-your-tux-rentals-cost?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:2feb722e-719c-484e-a664-5cb1eb1ec252Post:362fa251-e35c-4c1c-bb15-65b15a739682">Re: How much do/did your tux rentals cost?</a>:
    [QUOTE]FI stood up in a wedding back in the fall, the tuxes were from MW, the rental included shoes and I am pretty sure it was around $160. I am not going with either. Like 3 out of 6 of the guys had problems.To be honest, I hated how both companies conducted themselves at the numerous bridal shows I went to. I plan on going with a more local company that were so helpful at a bridal show. They are in Livonia. <a href="http://www.gerardtuxedo.com" rel="nofollow">www.gerardtuxedo.com</a>
    Posted by sparkles776[/QUOTE]

I second Gerard Tuxedo! Much less expensive and great to work with. Plus it's nice giving the money back to the community.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker 129image 102image 24image
  • LIke a PP I've heard bad things about Presidents Tuexedo...one of our friends got married last May, and when he went to pick up his tux, they had replaced his jacket with a childs size jacket (he's a smaller guy). Apparently when they were out of the size he needed they just ordered the next size down (which was a childrens size and NUMEROUS sizes too small) without consulting him at all. He had less than 24 hours to get the mistake corrected before his wedding. 

I couldn't justify making people pay that much for a rental as well, so we're just having people buy suits or wear what they already own. My FI bought a brand new 3-piece suit for under $200 and he'll be able to wear it over and over again.
  • We got four suits last week at Kohl's when they were 2-1, plus we had a 30% off coupon. Our young adult children are our attendants and the "boys" will be able to wear them again at about the same price overall.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker 129image 102image 24image
  • We went with President Tuxedo. We also paid $150 including shoes. So far they have been great, they pick up the tuxes tomorrow. The only issue we had with them was they don't "rent" a size 2T tux for our little ring bearer but they were also very helpful in helping us figure it all out. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are using the Tux Shoppe on woodward in birmingham. Appears to be the least expensive of everything I've read in these response. Though my fiance is purchasing a tux for himself, he would have received a free rental. Groomsmens tuxes are like 80 with shoes, our ushers were 75 and they are the ONLY local tux shop that offers the exaaaact same tuxes in all sizes, so your ringbearer can match perfectly.
  • When I was quoted they said a tux shouldn't cost more then $190
    Wedding Countdown Ticker August 2013 March Siggy Challenge: The Dress! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_how-much-dodid-your-tux-rentals-cost?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:2feb722e-719c-484e-a664-5cb1eb1ec252Post:8b71d3a6-82f6-4980-a07e-d093c8124ffc">Re:How much do/did your tux rentals cost?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are using the Tux Shoppe on woodward in birmingham. Appears to be the least expensive of everything I've read in these response. Though my fiance is purchasing a tux for himself, he would have received a free rental. Groomsmens tuxes are like 80 with shoes, our ushers were 75 and they are the ONLY local tux shop that offers the exaaaact same tuxes in all sizes, so your ringbearer can match perfectly.
    Posted by MrsGilliatt[/QUOTE]

<div>THIS IS ABSOLUTELY FALSE. Gerard Tuxedo in Livonia ensures that their tuxedos come in ALL sizes from 3T up to 64, in some cases 72, in long and extra long. You CAN get your entire wedding party in matching tuxes, including your little ones - and their pricing includes shoes and little extras like shirt studs and cuff links. I highly recommend them like other commenters, they can match any bridesmaid's dress color. </div>
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • This is actually a false statment from Tux Shoppe on Woodward. There are other local tuxedo stores that carry the exact same tuxedo in kIds sizes so they can match the groomsmen. Don't be fooled by what one place said. Make sure and do your homework and research! Gerard Tuxedo is Livonia also carries the same tuxedos in kids sizes as well as has excellent customer service & VERY compeitive prices! I used them for my wedding and Jenn the owner is awesome to deal with! My groomsmen looked amazing without hurting their wallets! Make sure to check them out and get details from them about rentals!

Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_how-much-dodid-your-tux-rentals-cost?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:2feb722e-719c-484e-a664-5cb1eb1ec252Post:8b71d3a6-82f6-4980-a07e-d093c8124ffc">Re:How much do/did your tux rentals cost?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are using the Tux Shoppe on woodward in birmingham. Appears to be the least expensive of everything I've read in these response. Though my fiance is purchasing a tux for himself, he would have received a free rental. Groomsmens tuxes are like 80 with shoes, our ushers were 75 and they are the ONLY local tux shop that offers the exaaaact same tuxes in all sizes, so your ringbearer can match perfectly.
    Posted by MrsGilliatt[/QUOTE]
  • There are a lot of people out there that are being mis-informed by Mens Wearhouse! BEWARE OF MENS WEARHOUSE! When they are telling people that you have to use them before of your out of towns groomsmen, this is a complete line they give you to make sure feel lke you have to go with them. Any tuxedo shop will handle out of town groomsmen with no problems at all. Again make sure you do your research and make sure you are getting the best price you possibly can!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_how-much-dodid-your-tux-rentals-cost?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:2feb722e-719c-484e-a664-5cb1eb1ec252Post:aac7c29a-7a88-4aef-a24f-3a0735e9e663">Re: How much do/did your tux rentals cost?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We went to Men's Warehouse (we had to use them due to where the other groomsmen were located). We went with the mid-grade tux and it was $170 without shoes.  I know that they do cheaper versions.
    Posted by kikirst33[/QUOTE]
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_how-much-dodid-your-tux-rentals-cost?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:2feb722e-719c-484e-a664-5cb1eb1ec252Post:e8d2908f-e6e6-459d-9ceb-89f59fe03f1c">Re: How much do/did your tux rentals cost?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>There are a lot of people out there that are being mis-informed by Mens Wearhouse! BEWARE OF MENS WEARHOUSE! </strong>When they are telling people that you have to use them before of your out of towns groomsmen, this is a complete line they give you to make sure feel lke you have to go with them. Any tuxedo shop will handle out of town groomsmen with no problems at all. Again make sure you do your research and make sure you are getting the best price you possibly can! In Response to Re: How much do/did your tux rentals cost? :
    Posted by MPGallery[/QUOTE]

<div>This exactly. Research! Ask lots of questions to ALL of your potential vendors. Make informed decisions. Don't be disappointed. :)</div>
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards