Wedding Reception Forum

Should bride provide reception transportation?

Hi, my wedding ceremony is 15-20 minutes away from my reception and I don't know if people expect me to provide transportation to the party.  Is it ok to assume they will drive themselves or should I provide carpools and vans for everyone?
I would appreciate any advice, thanks!

Re: Should bride provide reception transportation?

• You don't need to provide any transportation. Especially since guests will have to get themselves to the ceremony in the first place, there's no reason they can't then get to the reception. 

If you've got a hotel blocked, it might be nice to look into transportation options for hotel guests to and from wedding events. Our hotel did it for free. 
  • I think if the majority are local and are driving themselves to the ceremony, I would say not.

But if you have a lot of out of town guests, I'd definitely look into something - LeiselEB made a great suggestion. Especially if they aren't very familiar with the area you are in.

Back in December FI and I went to TX for his brother's wedding where about 75% of the wedding guests were from out of town. The ceremony was only about a 5 minute drive from the hotel - which wasn't bad, but the reception was about 45 minutes and required the use of toll roads. So a lot of guests were putting a lot of money into plane tickets, money on rental cars, and then money for toll roads - it added up quickly. (Then there were issues of trying to find the reception!)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • snuff9861snuff9861 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2012
    We are renting a school bus. This will serve as a shuttle to and from the ceremony and reception (at the hotel where the guests will be staying) and will also shuttle the bridal party and families to and from pictures.
    October 2012 December Siggy: Favourite Wedding Picture
    PIC_281copy1 Anniversary
  • It's never required but it's always a nice gesture.

I think location of the venues and whether or not there are a lot of OOT guests makes a difference.

For example 100% of our guests were OOT and they like to drink.  The venue was a little difficult to find.  We provided a shuttle which was used by about 80% of them.  It just made it a lot easier for everyone involved.

I live across the street from a Catholic Church in the middle of a city. There is also a hotel on the block.  I see shuttles every single weekend at both locations.   Parking is hard to find.  If your church and reception venues are in different places within the city then the guests have to find parking twice.  It's not easy to move 100+ guests from point A to point B in a city if everyone is driving themselves.  Shuttles makes it easier for everyone.

If your locations are more in the suburbs, easy to find with lots of parking around and you do not have a lot of OOT guests then I would not bother.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I agree they probably won't expect it and you don't have to, but I think it's a real nice idea.  We had all OOTers and open bar, and we provided a coach bus shuttle.  All of guests loved it and were able to drink as much as they wanted without having to worry about driving.
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards