Chit Chat

Teacher wedding date help

I'm a teacher so ideally the summer is the best time for me to get married. My fiancé and I had a few June options? June 8'15 or 29. We both like the idea do the 15th . I would take off Friday and Monday. Then I would finish te last week of work ten go on our honeymoon. Any thoughts on this? Will I be going crazy that last week and benefit from waiting for school to be over or do you think it will be fine? I just want soe opinions. Tank you.

Re: Teacher wedding date help

• Sorry I was typing on my iPad and noticed soe errors.
  • I got married in November, over Thanksgiving weekend, since a summer wedding just wasn't happening for us (family schedules and different school years).  Really, the only thing that made it possible was my school BOE gave us a random week off in November instead of February this year, and I was able to use that week to get last minute stuff in order and prepared.  Otherwise, it was difficult juggling work and the wedding (plus I was in my last semester of grad school). 

Don't get me wrong--I absolutely loved the time of year we got married, but being married when I had time to prepare without stressing over work would have been best. I'd wait until you were out for the summer.
  • I am a teacher and will be having my wedding over Memorial Day weekend. I am planning on taking off Thursday and Friday (my wedding day) then have the whole weekend, including Monday to spend time with all of my family and friends from OOT. I will have 2 weeks of work left then we will go on our honeymoon three days after the school year finishes. I am hoping it will be a great trip to celebrate our new lift together and the start of summer.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Mrs.B6302007Mrs.B6302007 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited April 2012
    We're both teachers.  We got out early June and had a June 30 wedding.  That gave us a couple of weeks in between school and the wedding, plus about 6 weeks for HM, me moving, and just enjoying our time together before we started up again for the next year.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• edited April 2012
    We are getting married on a Friday in October, I'm doing everything possible this spring while I'm only part time and over the summer.  We will probably wait until next summer to honeymoon since FI will have just started a new job.
  • My daughter set her date for June 11th, with her school year ending June 6.  A bad Chicago winter added snow days to her calendar and her last day of school was June 9 (the day of the rehearsal dinner).  Be sure to factor in such contingencies!

That said, the week really wasn't that chaotic.  Honestly, by that time, the majority of "work" had been done, and all appointments had been in place for some time.  It did help, however, that both her fiance and myself ended our school years slightly earlier, and were able to cover last minute issues.

If you have any flexibility at all, I would suggest you try to set your date after your school session ends.  There is a lot to be said for focusing on one thing at a time, and  giving yourself the time to relax and enjoy the moments.
  • LetsHikeTodayLetsHikeToday member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2012
    I'm a teacher had had a wedding on June 25th. It was a week after I got out of school. I'm so glad I waited because I had that week to get things together without being stressed out.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I am a teacher too and I'm getting married at the end of August (We wanted our wedding date to be the date of when we first started dating). It worked out better for me since I'll be working summer school and that ends mid August.  Do you have your heart set on June? I think it might be hectic for you to get married right before school ending then going back to work right after.  Have you looked into July or August? I just think that picking a date while school is out would be better and less stressful.
  • Wow, such late school years! I'm a teacher and we get out the end of May. I'll be getting married 2 weeks after school is out b/c there is no way on God's green earth that I would get married during the last week of school while I'm frantically trying to get grades done and clean up my classroom for the summer. It's already stressful enough without a wedding to get ready for.

However, when we set our day for June 9th, it didn't occur to me that my sister and BIL are also teachers and might not get out as early as us, lol. It turns out that they will have to miss the last 2 days of their school year, but they really don't care, so it worked out for me. Make sure you check other teacher's schedules, but if you go with a day in early July, I think that's a pretty safe timeframe.
  • I'm a teacher and we're getting married in the end of July mainly because I can have more time to do things for the wedding and go on our honeymoon before school starts again. Just thought it'd be nice to have a break in between.
    doggie Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • FI and I are both teachers. I was pushing for a June wedding, but fiance' suggested July due to family reunions and such. We chose July 20th of 2013. That way we still have time for honeymooning and nesting before we have to report back to school.

From the beginning I knew I wanted a Summer wedding because the school year can be so hectic. Especially with having to prepare students for standardized tests and mock assessments. I knew I didn't want anything on my mind except for my wedding day.

Good Luck
    The Future Mrs. Douglas Daisypath Wedding tickers LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_teacher-wedding-date-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:50144100-fe9f-4a6c-871d-02a1bff7fa68Post:5408606f-48a2-4466-b782-1beaa469b207">Re: Teacher wedding date help</a>:
    [QUOTE]FI and I are both teachers. I was pushing for a June wedding, but fiance' suggested July due to family reunions and such. We chose July 20th of 2013. That way we still have time for honeymooning and nesting before we have to report back to school. From the beginning I knew I wanted a Summer wedding because the school year can be so hectic. <strong>Especially with having to prepare students for standardized tests and mock assessments. </strong>I knew I didn't want anything on my mind except for my wedding day. Good Luck
    Posted by Dannitra01[/QUOTE]

Bet I know what you're doing this upcoming week.  ;-)  I'm in FL as well.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_teacher-wedding-date-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:50144100-fe9f-4a6c-871d-02a1bff7fa68Post:6d62a9f6-a172-4753-8f6b-7d1005efef3e">Re: Teacher wedding date help</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow, such late school years! I'm a teacher and we get out the end of May.
    Posted by 2012FutureMrsB[/QUOTE]

We used to get out the week before Memorial Day.  There have been some legislation changes within the last couple of years for us that have resulted in mid-August start dates.  That's actually okay with me, though.   One year, due to how the calendar fell, teacher pre-planning started the last week of JULY and the kids were in their seats on August 3.  Even though our break was still the same length, it was weird being back to school in July because it was still the middle of summer.

• Yeah, I had never heard of the August-May school year until I met H.  We go September 1/2/3 until June 27/28/29 usually.  That was one issue we had with planning--when I was out, his sisters weren't, and vice versa.
  • Thank you for all your feedback!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_teacher-wedding-date-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:50144100-fe9f-4a6c-871d-02a1bff7fa68Post:98a980c5-776e-4889-af16-2887ee471051">Re: Teacher wedding date help</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am a teacher too and I'm getting married at the end of August (We wanted our wedding date to be the date of when we first started dating). It worked out better for me since I'll be working summer school and that ends mid August.  Do you have your heart set on June? I think it might be hectic for you to get married right before school ending then going back to work right after.  Have you looked into July or August? I just think that picking a date while school is out would be better and less stressful.
    Posted by ujocdeelovely[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto all of this- I'm an assistant teacher and working the summer session. Our anniversary (and wedding date) is earlier in the month though, so I'll probably miss the last week of class. It worked out because any later and my sister and nieces schools in VA would have started their fall sessions already (my older sister is a special ed teacher down there and all three girls are in school.) Any earlier, and I would have had to go back to work the next week after our wedding instead of having the pre-fall break. I think looking into the later date- or even July and August- would definitely be my choice.</div>
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Don't forget the that end of the school year is when everything is due.  Final exams, Standardized testing and report cards.  We also have to have our final Individual Program Plans for coded kids done at that time too.  We did a package wedding, so almost no planning and even with that the week before was crazy getting last minute things together, packing, etc.  Adding in report carsd to that would have killed me.  Too much going on.

• Whew, a lot of teachers planning to get married over the summer! I too am a teacher planning for a summer wedding in late June/ early July 2013. My school year ends either the last week of May, or the first week of June, depending on where the start of the year falls. My mother, who is also a teacher, got married over Thanksgiving, but she and my father did not take a long honeymoon, just a trip to a vineyard, and did not have a large reception. It worked for her, but it wouldn't work for me. My older sister, who is also getting married, is planning for a Spring Break wedding. She is PE coach who works with a "head" coach, and is able to take off 2 days before Spring Break and the entire week AFTER Spring Break. Usually our state tests are given around Spring Break, and I would probably be denied the personal leave because of it.

Summer is not the season I would ideally want to get married in, winter is certainly my favorite, but in my family the Christmas holidays are full of birthdays and anniversaries as is, so FI and I are checking out June 29 -July 20 for dates. I want at least 2 weeks to prep for my wedding, without work (and still make time for training over the summer) and at least 1 week to relax at home after the honeymoon before having to go back to work. Let me tell you though, finding a nice indoor ceremony and reception venue is actually hard... very limited options. No way would I get married outdoors in the middle of a Texas summer! LOL.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am a teacher and we are getting married June 30th which is close to a month after we get out of school.  I think you need to have it later.  Do you really want to be worried about writting lesson plans, planning for a sub, doing last min wedding details then going back to work?  You will want time off afterwards to get things organized, write thank yous ect. 
  • FI and I are both teachers (him college, myself elementary) and we're getting married April 6.  Neither of us wanted a summer wedding.  The week before our wedding is Easter, so I am hoping to get things done during spring break and since I'm a subsitute currently, I will likely be able to take off at least the Thurs, Fri, and Mon around the wedding.  His schedule's a bit more flexible.  :)  We'll be honeymooning in June/July, depending on the end dates next year (usually mid-June).
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards