Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

flowers on cake

I want a smooth white cake with 3 tiers and small rasberry colored flowers on each level.

is it better to use fake flowers on a cake or real?? does the baker take care of this or should I request what I want??

Re: flowers on cake

• edited December 2011
    We had 3 white tiers with big green hydrangea on the top and on each tier. Was really pretty and simple.
    This would be something you would need to ask the florist to do (they'll totally know what you need) and then they can pass it off to the baker (or whomever else) to be placed on the cake when its set out.

If you're talking sugar flowers, that's something the baker would do for you.
  • edited December 2011
    I love the look of fresh flowers on a cake!  If you provide the flowers, most bakers will arrange them on the cake for you at no charge.  

Different decorative flowers can also be really pretty (royal icing, gum paste, sugar, etc.) but usually cost alot more because of the difficulty in making them.  You should definitely ask around to see what the cost is.  But either way you go, flowers will look great!
  • edited December 2011
    Fresh flowers are going to be the easiest and they are also the cheapest.  Sugar flowers can cost you a lot if you want them all the way around the cake as they are handmade and take time to make.  They have to have time to dry before they can go on the cake.  Buttercream flowers depend on when you are getting married (inside/outside) due to heat they are fragile!  Your baker will be able to tell you how many extra fresh flowers you need to order from your florest if you go that route, and they will also beable to price quote you for the sugar flowers.  Remember that the price will vary on size, detail, and quanity of your flowers.
  • edited December 2011
    Our cake is similar to what you described. We used real flowers on our cake. The flowers were provided by our florist and the baker at the reception hall actually arranged the flowers on the cake. Here's a pic.

• edited December 2011
    i must agree with some of the pp. i used sugar flowers and ribbon because i didnt want to worry about anything non edible on the cake and it took the cost of my cake up 150!!
  • jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used real flowers on my cake.  They looked beautiful and I wasn't the one to have to worry about removing them because the venue cut and served the cake.  If you're providing the flowers for the cake just make sure that they are pesticide free.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I'm using real flowers for my cake (roses.)  I just love the way the look :-)
  • ccenter1ccenter1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The real flowers are great but if you get the gumpaste edible flowers then you can save them forever or eat them. Gumpaste wont go bad or attract bugs. It would be cute to save with your bouquet.
  • edited December 2011
    I did real flowers on mine - I just don't dig the fake ones.
  • emmy82087emmy82087 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you have flowers left over from your bouquet or something I would use real flowers.  It is a nicer look unless the baker can pipe the flowers on. 
    Mrs. Emily Wolcott June 11, 2011 :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards