Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Are cookies tacky?

We are planning a simple-but-still-classy wedding in a little country church nearby.
We are having a B&G's cake, but I wanted to know: is it tacky to have yummy cookies instead of sliced cake for the guests? My favorite is chocolate chip, but I just don't know if that is going to look really lame.
Photobucket IMG_3964

Re: Are cookies tacky?

• edited December 2011
    Absolutely not. Lots of people don't have cake these days and have their favorite dessert instead: pies, cheesecake, cupcakes, coookies, cannoli, etc. I think cookies would be great, but maybe because I am also a huge chocolate chip cookie fan.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    No way!  Cookies are great and a cool alternative to the traditional cake!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Trendy maybe, not tacky though!
  • retro_bride09retro_bride09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I think cookies are a great way to go.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    135 Invitedimage 105 Ready to Partyimage 30 Missing Outimage
    RSVP Deadline: 9.30.10
  • lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely not tacky.
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • amynwadeamynwade member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Ohio & PA cookies are a must.  It is so funny to talk to other brides from other states.  Growing up in Ohio and now living in Pittsburgh, Cookies at a wedding is a must.  Everyone here has a cake and wedding cookies.  In fact, the bigger the cookie table the happier the guests are.  The family & friends are the ones that make the cookies.  At my sister's wedding we had 175 Dozen cookies.  And at the end of the night, they were ALL gone. Ask any bride from this area and they will know all about cookie tables :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I love cookies! But if I saw a yummy cake that I didn't get to eat that there wasn't a piece for me, I'd be totally sad.
  • Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cookies-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:a6eb4a1d-c39b-4abf-9162-0c7a669c5510Post:abef4b56-72be-4f46-8d54-cd8b3448d3a6">Are cookies tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are planning a simple-but-still-classy wedding in a little country church nearby. We are having a B&G's cake, but I wanted to know: is it tacky to have yummy cookies instead of sliced cake for the guests? My favorite is chocolate chip, but I just don't know if that is going to look really lame.
    Posted by shelovesfrodo[/QUOTE]
    If there was cake displayed, I think I would be sad that I wasn't allowed a piece. :(
    Cookies are awesome, though. Maybe both?
    Have you considered displaying a pretty B&G's cake, then having a simple sheet cake in the back with the same flavors on the inside to serve to the guests?
  • edited December 2011
    cookies sound awesome! you could even do a giant cookie for you and your fiance to still have something to cut!
  • Ashes_3Ashes_3 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think cookies are a great alternative!! I know my FI and I love cookies (and he isn't a big cake eater!!
  • mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I'm from PA so the cookie table is a must.  Nothing tacky about it.

However, I agree that it is rude of you to display, cut, and eat cake and not offer any to your guests.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cookies-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:a6eb4a1d-c39b-4abf-9162-0c7a669c5510Post:0b1701be-efe1-41b5-829f-2edf076e381f">Re: Are cookies tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm from PA so the cookie table is a must.  <strong>Nothing tacky about it. However, I agree that it is rude of you to display, cut, and eat cake and not offer any to your guests.
    </strong>Posted by mysticl[/QUOTE]

Yes this. Love the cookie idea tho.
  • lisaD26lisaD26 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love cake, a cookie wouldn't do it for me. I'd be waiting for my slice of cake all night.

cookies as favors?
  • edited December 2011
    You could do just cookies... but if you have a cake for the two of you, I think you should offer it to your guests.  You can get sheet cakes for a reasonable price. 

This would kind of be like both of you having a few bottles of champagne on your head table and then serving your guests lemonade. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jerseydeviljerseydevil member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I vote have cake AND cookies or just cookies.
  • BrooklclarkBrooklclark member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Ok here it is not every one likes cake and not everyone likes cookies someone who posted a good idea you could have a cake for the two of you and then offer a sheet cake for everyone else (they should only run about $50 depending on where you live) also remember there are some people on the TK that cannot look outside their little boxes, and they really don’t like anything out of the mold.

• megk8ozmegk8oz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

If you're having a cake on display, your guests should have the option of having a piece.

Other than that: cookies are not tacky. Cookies are delicious.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • edited December 2011
    I think cupcakes would work better than cookies because again you are getting cake so why wouldn't they.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Cookies are awesome!

I agree that if cake is displayed, then I would hope that cake would be an option for guests.

We plan on having sheet cakes to supplement a small B&G cake, which you can get at your local grocery store for a pretty cheap price.
    imageAnniversary
  • edited December 2011
    cookies are not tacky... they are delicious!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    planning bio
  • edited December 2011
    COOKIES ROCK!!!! To be perfectly honest, fondant isnt that yummy anyway. XP If I were a guest i'd prefer having a bunch of cookies to a tiny slice of cake. Me and my future hubby are going to have a Candy/Cookie Bar. :)
    Don't Let Something Stupid Like Gravity Ruin Your Dreams To Fly.
  • edited December 2011
    Cookies are fabulous :o) They taste so good!! My fave!
  • LuluP82LuluP82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Agree with everyone else. Cookies are awesome IF you only  have cookies or if you have cookies in addition to cake.

you can't have a tiny cake to cut and then serve cookies. That, like someone else said, is like having booze for your table and not others. Or serving yourselves steak and everyone else pasta.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Not tacky at all! I have quite a few family members who are allergies to accomodate them I had an awesome alternative of Glucose free Dark chocolate cupcakes. But we are doing these as a option for those with allergies while cake is available. like the other posters have said, if you have both serve both, but dont have a cake and then serve the guests cookies.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I think cookies are a great idea! If you are displaying the cake, you will have to serve it. We were going to do a cookie buffet but our venue wouldn't allow us to bring in cookies so we did a candy buffet. We did the candy table across from the cake table. Cake acted as dessert, candy as favors. Candy was available all evening to munch on though, and we had clear celaphane bags on the table. The cake was obviously available after the formal cutting.
  • edited December 2011
    We are planning on doing a cookie buffet at our wedding for the favors. We LOVE cookies so it makes the most sense for us to do this. Cookies are not tacky :)
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Cookie Monster said it best..."ummmmm...COOKIE!"  Definately still have the cake for the guests, but cookies are an Italian trdition!!!  My Mother is baking several types of cookies and making a cookie tray to be set on each table at the reception.  Cookies and coffee, life doesn't get better than that unless wine is involved! :-)
  • PookieJ2010PookieJ2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My vote is not tacky at ALL!

I just went to a wedding last weekend where they had a cake for after dinner, but at everyone's seat, instead of doing a "wedding favor," they had yummy cookies! They are both Ohio State fans, so they had rose cookies (for the rose bowl win) & cookies in the shape of the O with a little buckeye & a leaves at the bottom. Very cute & VERY yummy!!!

I also went to a wedding last year where they had a tiny box at each place setting, tied with a ribbon, & inside was a giant buckeye candy, YUMMY!!

Good luck!! :)
    Jillian*~ Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • melissacaspermelissacasper member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Cookies are not tacky!  We are doing a cookie and brownie tower at our wedding :)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cookies-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:a6eb4a1d-c39b-4abf-9162-0c7a669c5510Post:fb391c25-1f23-4990-8fd9-962e7d3cf505">Re: Are cookies tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love cake, a cookie wouldn't do it for me. I'd be waiting for my slice of cake all night. cookies as favors?
    Posted by lisaD26[/QUOTE]

same here.  I don't think cookies are tacky at all; it's a neat idea, but as someone who really isn't a huge fan of cookies (I think I have a cookie maybe once every few months), I'd be a little disappointed by the "bait and switch" of showing a cake and then getting a cookie.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards