Wedding Etiquette Forum

Unpopular Opinions?

Re: Unpopular Opinions?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:4c8aafcb-5be7-48e9-ae0e-c3d4d11fed32Post:d20e32db-132a-4185-9c8f-4110664d72ab">Re: Unpopular Opinions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions? : OMG, like in The Joy Luck Club. I couldn't handle that.
    Posted by JessAndTrav[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I read that when I was 14 and thought it was REALLY effing weird. Good luck with your marriage, there...
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:4c8aafcb-5be7-48e9-ae0e-c3d4d11fed32Post:3e17fd11-7d56-4f28-994a-9d14d909aa6a">Re: Unpopular Opinions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions? : WHOA WHOA WHOA.  BACK THE TRAIN UP.  I am as french canadien as it gets and the first and only wedding I went to with a dollar dance was in Montana. 
    Posted by mandysmear[/QUOTE]

lol... my bad

i just made that connection because every french canadian wedding i've been to had a sock dance - wierd coincidence i guess

except mine won't have one, because the best man is uber shy
  • there's some sort of "tradition" that if a woman's younger sister gets married before she does she has to dance in her socks at the wedding.

as far as i know it does not include any money. 

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:4c8aafcb-5be7-48e9-ae0e-c3d4d11fed32Post:c0023166-0d3c-4e23-86db-3cc4beb2cd00">Re: Unpopular Opinions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions? : If I throw a party this weekend and call it a wedding reception, will you buy me something cool?
    Posted by JessAndTrav[/QUOTE]

As long as you wine and dine me!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:4c8aafcb-5be7-48e9-ae0e-c3d4d11fed32Post:3e17fd11-7d56-4f28-994a-9d14d909aa6a">Re: Unpopular Opinions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions? : WHOA WHOA WHOA.  BACK THE TRAIN UP.  I am as french canadien as it gets and the first and only wedding I went to with a dollar dance was in Montana. 
    Posted by mandysmear[/QUOTE]

was curious so I googled:

<a rel="nofollow" href="http://ezinearticles.com/?French-Canadian-Wedding-Reception-Custom---The-Ugly-Sock-Dance&id=4477151"><u><font color="#810081"><a href="http://ezinearticles.com/?French-Canadian-Wedding-Reception-Custom---The-Ugly-Sock-Dance&id=4477151" rel="nofollow">http://ezinearticles.com/?French-Canadian-Wedding-Reception-Custom---The-Ugly-Sock-Dance&id=4477151</a></font></u></a>

and to quote:

Later on in the wedding reception, apparently, if the groom has older siblings who are still unmarried, they must down elaborately colorful ugly socks, and dance to a special tune. It seems that the the socks symbolize the siblings still having "cold feet" and this is why the younger brother is marrying before them. The sillier the sock dance is however, the better, as the guests respond more favorably to nonsense. <strong>Much like the American "Dollar Dance," the guests throw money at the feet of the sock dancer(s) and the</strong>
  • [QUOTE]I think etiquette is over-rated. Posted by Belle2Be[/QUOTE]

What does this even mean?

I prefer bridesmaids in dresses of their own choosing. Rare is the dress that flatters everyone.  
  • I thought, that from a population-replacement standpoint, that couples "should" have two children, one to replace each of them. If they just have one, that would drastically reduce the population in future generations. I think I remember learning that in some biology class I took.
  • I don't like most fruit. The only ones I'll really eat are apples, pears, bananas and melons.

Bell peppers are of the devil. Especially the green ones.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'm ok with and fully support population reduction.

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • kikibabykikibaby member
    First Comment
    edited August 2010

^This.

(I sure hope Moose's post is still above mine)

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:4c8aafcb-5be7-48e9-ae0e-c3d4d11fed32Post:73484707-ab1b-4dfb-ba2e-f7131d786c80">Re: Unpopular Opinions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions? : Another child-related unpopular opinion: I hate it when parents bring their kids to work!  Posted by Celles[/QUOTE]

This is not a particularly unpopular opinion.
  • I also support punctuation reduction, apparently.

• I'm still hoping for boardageddon.

Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:4c8aafcb-5be7-48e9-ae0e-c3d4d11fed32Post:39cfbbc9-6d50-447e-8fb8-8275d0389e43">Re: Unpopular Opinions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I thought, that from a population-replacement standpoint, that couples "should" have two children, one to replace each of them. If they just have one, that would drastically reduce the population in future generations. I think I remember learning that in some biology class I took.
    Posted by zippityb[/QUOTE]

The only problem is, the child doesn't really replace the parent because one of the parents doesn't die after the kid is born.  So the population still goes up for a bit.

My unpopular opinions...

I think people should look into adopting a child rather than spending tens of thousands of dollars on infertility treatments.

I don't mind cash bars.

I could never live somewhere that didn't have four distinct seasons.

I've never been able to watch the Simpsons, because I think it's dumb.
  • I have another one.

I hate Sookie more and more with every episode of True Blood.

I like Eric, Alcide and Sam more and more with every episode.

I still like Sookie in the books so I think that HBO ruined her.

• Alan Ball ruined Sookie. And Season Two, in general. I'm not on Season 3 yet.

• I love all thinks that are made into "jerky" - beef, chicken, etc.

I hate when people post and tag pictures of others without asking permission - double hate if unflattering or possibly incriminating

I actually am excited for my bridal shower.

I secretly want my french bulldog to walk me down the aisle.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:4c8aafcb-5be7-48e9-ae0e-c3d4d11fed32Post:39cfbbc9-6d50-447e-8fb8-8275d0389e43">Re: Unpopular Opinions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I thought, that from a population-replacement standpoint, that couples "should" have two children, one to replace each of them. If they just have one, that would drastically reduce the population in future generations. I think I remember learning that in some biology class I took.
    Posted by zippityb[/QUOTE]

Hence the China policy.

The only "bad" thing about population decline involves economic. Surplus of housing and resources, lack of people paying into SS, unfilled jobs, lack of a consumer market. But for individuals and the environment it's not a bad thing at all.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:4c8aafcb-5be7-48e9-ae0e-c3d4d11fed32Post:1df04e4f-f779-4f16-94bb-5664b1af2031">Re: Unpopular Opinions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions? : The only problem is, the child doesn't really replace the parent because one of the parents doesn't die after the kid is born.  So the population still goes up for a bit. My unpopular opinions... <strong>I think people should look into adopting a child rather than spending tens of thousands of dollars on infertility treatments.</strong> I don't mind cash bars. <strong>I could never live somewhere that didn't have four distinct seasons.</strong> I've never been able to watch the Simpsons, because I think it's dumb.
    Posted by Bec20[/QUOTE]

We've talked about this and I agree. I'm not sure how unpopular it is, it just isnt' discussed a lot.

I really, really, really miss seasons. Really.
    my read shelf:
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I fully support any individuals choice to spend their money on infertility treatments, if that is the path they chose.  I don't see how people see adoption as a quick, easy fix to infertility.  
    Photobucket
  • I don't see it as a quick, easy fix.  However, I don't like when people say they could "never afford adoption".  You can adopt for about 20K AND there's a 10K tax credit.  Drugs for a couple rounds of IVF are more expensive than that.

I just don't see how people can spend that much money on, lets say, 6 IVFs that have resulted in 5 negatives and 1 miscarriage.  The money could have been spent on adopting.  Sometimes even 2 or 3 times on the money spent on infertility treatments.

I guess to me it seems like, at a certain point, people are more desperate to have a baby that shares their genetic material than to actually have a child.  (I do realize this is a snap judgement that certainly isn't always true.)
  • Adoption is not the right choice for everyone, regardless of fertility status.
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:4c8aafcb-5be7-48e9-ae0e-c3d4d11fed32Post:1e9886f7-5d68-42e5-8078-56fafff4762f">Re: Unpopular Opinions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]What does this even mean? I prefer bridesmaids in dresses of their own choosing. Rare is the dress that flatters everyone.  
    Posted by georgia_bride09[/QUOTE]

It means that I personally don't hold a lot of water to etiquette. I think its a nice guideline, but like everything else isn't a one size fits all and wouldn't hold it against family or family if they didn't follow an extremely outdated protocal.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:4c8aafcb-5be7-48e9-ae0e-c3d4d11fed32Post:c6caace8-d11c-4e46-9106-9fe422b5842e">Re: Unpopular Opinions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have no problems with dry weddings or donations in lieu of favors. I do think that any bride who dictates a specific hairstyle or matching shoes is a bridezilla, even if she pays for them. <strong>I don't think anyone under the age of 23 is ready to get married. </strong> Period. I firmly believe that the Twilight movies suck and that if they weren't based on those particular books with that particular fan base, then I firmly believe that most people would agree with me.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

Oh man I agree! People change so much from 18-23, I don't care who you are.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:4c8aafcb-5be7-48e9-ae0e-c3d4d11fed32Post:3966b558-b4b9-45d5-aa5e-d38dc1cf54bb">Re: Unpopular Opinions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't see it as a quick, easy fix.  However, I don't like when people say they could "never afford adoption".  You can adopt for about 20K AND there's a 10K tax credit.  Drugs for a couple rounds of IVF are more expensive than that. I just don't see how people can spend that much money on, lets say, 6 IVFs that have resulted in 5 negatives and 1 miscarriage.  The money could have been spent on adopting.  Sometimes even 2 or 3 times on the money spent on infertility treatments. I guess to me it seems like, at a certain point, people are more desperate to have a baby that shares their genetic material than to actually have a child.  (I do realize this is a snap judgement that certainly isn't always true.)
    Posted by Bec20[/QUOTE]

I think until you're in the situation, you should probably have no opinion on what someone else does with their body.

Even if you ARE in the situation what you do is completely irrelevant to someone else and their body.

• edited August 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:4c8aafcb-5be7-48e9-ae0e-c3d4d11fed32Post:ac656aff-4ff3-4a5a-b0f6-6d0d61d4514b">Re: Unpopular Opinions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions? : I think until you're in the situation, you should probably have no opinion on what someone else does with their body. Even if you ARE in the situation what you do is completely irrelevant to someone else and their body.
    Posted by wadingmoose[/QUOTE]

Agreed, Moose.

To be more specific, I've watched my brother and sister in law go through both. I think to say anything from an outsider's point of view is flippant and almost naive. Am I putting a personal spin on it? Damn right I am. They did IVF, then went to adoption, and I believe it took 3 years for them to be chosen for Andy. They've now been looking another 3 years. A baby isn't a number and a tax credit.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Pirate in the sky: We are having a dry wedding because my FI doesn't drink and I only am a drink with dinner kinda girl. 

My family is German and Catholic lol. Needless to say, they are less than thrilled. We have already heard tons of complaints. My response is basically, "ok, so what you're saying is, you like alcohol more than us?" That, and we went with a Sunday afternoon wedding so it wouldn't be a must have!
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:4c8aafcb-5be7-48e9-ae0e-c3d4d11fed32Post:2f39ce50-571e-4739-a4f9-6fa097b3a55a">Re: Unpopular Opinions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I fully support any individuals choice to spend their money on infertility treatments, if that is the path they chose.  I don't see how people see adoption as a quick, easy fix to infertility.  
    Posted by kellyjellybelly[/QUOTE]

<div>I don't see it like that at all. I just feel uncomfortable spending so much time and money on an uncertain outcome just to birth a child with my own DNA when I would be perfectly happy adopting a child that wasn't biologically related to me and who is already here (or belongs to someone who is already pregnant and does not want the baby). The cost is roughly the same, on average. I just think at some point it's too much like playing God for an unnecessary purpose.</div>
    my read shelf:
    40/112

Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:4c8aafcb-5be7-48e9-ae0e-c3d4d11fed32Post:1c8c5755-56ca-4059-9383-d34d96235932">Re: Unpopular Opinions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions? : I don't see it like that at all. I just feel uncomfortable spending so much time and money on an uncertain outcome just to birth a child with my own DNA when I would be perfectly happy adopting a child that wasn't biologically related to me and who is already here (or belongs to someone who is already pregnant and does not want the baby). The cost is roughly the same, on average.
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]
    Oh I wasn't pointing fingers or anything.  I just hear it all the time ( I have 4 very good friends going through IF right now) 'Why don't they just adopt"  It's not that easy.  Not everyone wishes to proceed with IVF treatments, just like not everyone wishes to proceed with exploring adoption, it's just a very personal choice.  For you, adoption seems to be a viable option you would be willing to explore, which is great.  I by no means know much about the adoption process, but from what I do know, it's not a sure thing either, correct?  From the individuals I know dealing with this right now, cost is really not their main concern.  <div>For someone to say it's personally not for them, I have no problems with, if god forbid 'you' ( a collective you) are ever in the situation, I'm sure you would appreciate having the options.  </div>
    Photobucket
  • Oh yes. I mean, adoption wasn't really an "option" for people a while ago, either, and it was a shameful thing. And it's never certain. One of my professors recently adopted a baby (foreign) after 6 years of trying. A lot of people give up on the process as well. 

I see the argument that you can't KNOW for sure until you're in that situation, but I feel comfortable saying I'm 95% sure I'd choose to explore adoption over IVF. Less invasive fertility treatments? I might consider. And I agree that IVF isn't right for some like adoption isn't right for some.
    my read shelf:
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards