Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Rehearsal Dinner Question: Who gets invited?

I was always under the assumption that the rehearsal dinner involved those in the rehearsal plus those closest to you (parents, grandparents, etc.). I was told by a friend the other day that a rehearsal dinner should also include everyone coming in from out of town - which, since my FI and my families live in Ohio (we live in CO), means that I need to invite everyone?
I don't want to exclude anyone, but I also can't really afford to have what would amount to 2 receptions. Where is it proper to draw the line in a rehearsal dinner?

Re: Rehearsal Dinner Question: Who gets invited?

• Options
    Some people invite all OOT guests which is a nice gesture but it's not required.

The must-invite list is comprised of your WP, officiant, readers, parents, siblings and anyone else you require to be at the rehearsal PLUS their sig others/dates if they're adults or parents if they're young children.
  • Options
    I wanted it to only be the wedding party and immediate family, but FIs family is paying for it, and they wanted to invite all of the OOT people, so that's what we're doing. It's not required to invite OOT people, but it's a nice gesture.
  • Options
    You could have a simple picnic/cookout for all of your OOT guests to show appreciation. 
  • Options
    You don't HAVE to invite all of your OOT guests, especially if there are a lot of them.  Agree with PPs that it's a nice gesture, if you can afford it, but it's not a must.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    ohwhynotohwhynot member
    First Comment
    edited April 2010
    I don't think immediate family is on the must-invite list, either.  We have HUGE families and we're not inviting our immediate families (it would be over 30 adults, never mind their children) to the RD, because they're not involved in the wedding and it's just too many people.  We're limiting it to parents, officiant & his spouse, wedding party members & spouses, and us. 
  • Options
    I've been lurking on these boards but have never posted before now. We are getting married in a Catholic church; should the priest and the church wedding associate (who is my contact for the wedding and rehearsal) be invited to the rehearsal dinner?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_rehearsal-dinner-question-gets-invited?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:fa3fd2c5-de48-4206-811f-0d4d1ba093baPost:26ef5406-8b9a-43db-819c-186dfe99e437">Re: Rehearsal Dinner Question: Who gets invited?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've been lurking on these boards but have never posted before now. We are getting married in a Catholic church; should the priest and the church wedding associate (who is my contact for the wedding and rehearsal) be invited to the rehearsal dinner?
    Posted by kmc6975[/QUOTE]

I would invite them if they are going to be at the rehearsal....
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards