Just Engaged and Proposals

Distance! Engagement Party?

Hello everyone! I just got engaged on 12/21/12 and I'm excited. I'm excited for how I want things to be! And although this is supposed to be a very special and exciting time I can't help but feel overwhelmed and worried. My biggest problem is I just moved to California in September with my now fiance. Majority of our friends and his parents live in NJ, while my family is spread out between Pa, TN, and FL. I want to have an engagement party but I just don't see how it's feasible. 

Should I skip having an engagement party or have one and hope that most people will be able to come???

I don't know anyone in California except his brother and sis-in-law so it seems most of this journey will just be me and a wedding planner. Any positive thoughts or ideas will be so helpful and appreciated. Congratulations to everyone embarking on this new chapter in our lives. God bless <3

Re: Distance! Engagement Party?

• I don't know anyone who has had an engagement party. I read about such things, but I don't think it's the norm or typical in this area. 

It would make more sense for the two of you to get back to the east coast than to expect ppl to fly out to you.

IMO, skip the engagement party and plan a shower back home. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Has someone offered to throw you an engagement party? It is not proper to host your own, so unless someone has offered, this is moot. Congrats and happy planning!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Actually you're not supposed to throw your own e-party. Problem solved.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • An engagement party isnt necessary.  We didnt have one and didnt want one.  My sister had one and she threw it herself and it was kind of a waste.
  • We didn't have one, and I'm glad we saved ourselves the headache.
  • Similar situation with me... my family and FI's family live on the other side of the country.  We have friends in our town, but not a lot who are invited to the wedding.  My neighbour threw a small e-party with a couple other neighbours (all the ladies who like to gossip) and we had a great time! 

I wanted an engagement party and bridal shower, however, in my case, it's not feasible.  We are having a destination wedding and will be able to party with friends and family a couple days before the wedding and that's  it.  It won't be specifically a party for us, just a get together with everyone.  I just think that a couple extra parties is no big deal when you look at the big picture that you are getting married!  Congrats!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards