Getting in Shape

Back in the saddle again

I used to be on WW and post here regularly, but I fell off the wagon about 6 months ago. Stopped exercising and eating healthy and started smoking again (after having stopped for a year). I made some really bad choices and consequently gained about 15 pounds and started feeling pretty terrible.

So here I am, back on Spark People, logging my food and trying to get back into working out regularly, and no longer smoking!

I'm trying to figure out how to make a healthy lifestyle permanent for me instead of just temporary. 

Anyone else thought they were making a permanent change only to wake up 6 months later and realize you were back in the same old unhealthy habits again? And gotten back on track for a while, only to get lost AGAIN? How did you change your mindset and come to really, truly believe you could maintain a healthy lifestyle permanently? How long have you been living healthy? I would find it really motivating to hear from others who have been and off track repeatedly, esp if you've been on track long term.

ETA: I have to get to a meeting, so sorry if this turns into a post and run. I'll be back later this afternoon!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Back in the saddle again

• Welcome back!  Good to see you!  Yes, we mentioned this on the WW accountability thread.  I've lost all those good habits after the wedding and honeymoon.  At this point, my biggest hurdle is getting back into the habit of getting up every morning and working out.  I need to figure it out asap because I'm going on a cruise in 2 months and do not  want to be this size!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I can see how you feel.  Once you lose the weight its hard to continue with the lifestyle.  I mean once you lose the weight, you don't have to be working out 5-6 days a week, but it can still be hard to try to squeeze in at least 2-3. 

Once you lose the weight, the motivation sort of goes away.  It's hard when you don't have a goal anymore, or a dress to fit into, or a honeymoon to look in shape for.. but you have to tell yourself you want to look great forever and the best way to do that is continue with the good eating habits and the exercise.  Walking is really the best.  You don't necessarily need the more intense workouts. 

But you do need to watch what you eat even when you are off the diet. 

Even years ago when I had no goals and no weight to lose, I still watched what I ate and kind of thought all the other girls ordering Papa Johns and eating chips and dip every weekend were crazy!  (and yes I thought it was crazy that they didn't use fat free sour cream and cream cheese for their dip bases.. but I didn't tell them this though ha) 

I thought to myself, I could never do that... even though I wasn't over weight.. I didn't need to lose an oz.. I just knew that if someome were to continue those college weekend habits and continue that in life they will not be happy with themselves and the weight they will gain and the sodium levels and their cholesterol etc. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hi Katie! Thanks so much for welcoming me back! :)

I agree -- getting up in the morning to work out is one of those habits that is hard to create, and oh so easy to break. Especially in the winter when it's cold and dark.

I managed to haul myself up to do a 20 minute HIIT workout today and OMG was I dripping and panting and wanting to crawl back into bed after it was over. A couple hours later, though, and I am feeling AMAZING!

• Welcome back!

I've totally changed how I shop for groceries and I'm more mindful when eating out (or I get a to-go box and put half in the box to take home before I start to eat).  We also eat out less than before, because that's where I tend to let myself make "exceptions" or tell myself it's "special" or a "celebration".  I need to indulge once in a while so I don't go crazy feeling deprived, but I am careful to not let those indulgences start happening more often.

I had a hard time getting into the morning workout routine, but once I started taking Benadryl at night to knock myself out at 9 pm so I could get enough sleep to still function at 4:45 am when my alarm goes off, it helped a lot.  Now my body is finally convinced (after 4-5 months) that 9:30 pm is bedtime.  It also helped that I got up so early that it was dark out even during the summer, because now it's not so hard as the days get shorter. 

I also work out every day before work so it's part of my weekday routine.  I don't think it would work for me if I only did it SOME days, because I'd start to skip unless I found something else to do during that time. 
    "Plus who needs a purse when you have a wedding dress? Those things are like walking hobo bags just waiting to be stuffed with surprise treasures." -Wedinator.com image
  • Welcome back!

I dont' have much else.  Everyone else has provided good ideas.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_back-saddle-again?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:e8cd5502-2fa8-4da5-992e-d88c19787f11Post:ec4398dc-6a98-4ec9-a224-c1ac823ae654">Re: Back in the saddle again</a>:
    [QUOTE]Welcome back! I've totally changed how I shop for groceries and I'm more mindful when eating out (or I get a to-go box and put half in the box to take home before I start to eat).  We also eat out less than before, because that's where I tend to let myself make "exceptions" or tell myself it's "special" or a "celebration".  I need to indulge once in a while so I don't go crazy feeling deprived, but I am careful to not let those indulgences start happening more often. I had a hard time getting into the morning workout routine, but <strong>once I started taking Benadryl at night to knock myself out at 9 pm so I could get enough sleep to still function at 4:45 am when my alarm goes off</strong>, it helped a lot.  Now my body is finally convinced (after 4-5 months) that 9:30 pm is bedtime.  It also helped that I got up so early that it was dark out even during the summer, because now it's not so hard as the days get shorter.  I also work out every day before work so it's part of my weekday routine.  I don't think it would work for me if I only did it SOME days, because I'd start to skip unless I found something else to do during that time. 
    Posted by slubkin[/QUOTE]

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who loves a good Benadryl coma. :)

You're so right about indulging. I feel like life is too short to not treat yourself every once in a while. But you do have to be so careful about it. This is one area where I need to really improve. It's SO EASY to find a reason to indulge or to think it's a "special" occasion and then I get so off track so fast.

I get what you're saying about working out before work. The trouble is that my work schedule is not the same every day. BUT, it's a great idea to just make it a habit to do some form of exercise every day. I can't do high impact stuff every day, but I could at least get up to do 30 minutes of pilates or something. I do sometimes get distracted by doing my "off day things" on days that are supposed to be workout days.

Thanks so much for the welcome back and encouraging words!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards