April 2013 Weddings

Bridal Shower

My mom is starting to figure things out for my bridal shower. She has graciously offered to host it because my family is huge and made up of primarily women! I am not the type of person who likes to be center of attention, so I am not looking forward to a 60 person shower.

My question for you guys is are you going to have your FI there with you? I want mine with me to help me open gifts and just make it easier for me overall. He doesn't really want to go but I am pushing for it. I told him he can have his best man come too if he wants. Let me know your thoughts please!

Re: Bridal Shower

• No way.  My FI would rather die than be at a bridal shower.  He'll come at the end to help with gifts and such, but not for the whole thing.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Haha, my FI and I discussed this the other night.  VK, I'm the same as you and I'm not such a fan of being the center of attention, especially in a room full of women I don't know that well.  His mom is throwing me one in Pittsburgh and I think my MOHs and mom are going to do a separate one in NC.  I asked if he'd want to go to the Pittsburgh one and he said, "Heck No" until I told him the menfolk could just hang out and do whatever else they want to do and that they didn't actually have to be in the room with us.  I doubt his mom would go for a co-ed shower but it's worth a shot, right?? ;-)
  • FI definitely does not want to go.  Which I understand.  Some people have Jack & Jill showers though.  You might want to suggest that.  That way he isn't the only guy there and you won't have to be the center of attention.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • vk2204vk2204 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_bridal-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:0f5f3cb4-e0dd-426e-a55a-332760e6ab33Post:35aa8486-822e-4ecd-9f49-838a9d0f3c89">Re: Bridal Shower</a>:
    [QUOTE]Haha, my FI and I discussed this the other night.  VK, I'm the same as you and I'm not such a fan of being the center of attention, especially in a room full of women I don't know that well.  His mom is throwing me one in Pittsburgh and I think my MOHs and mom are going to do a separate one in NC.  I asked if he'd want to go to the Pittsburgh one and he said, "Heck No" until I told him the menfolk could just hang out and do whatever else they want to do and that they didn't actually have to be in the room with us.  I doubt his mom would go for a co-ed shower but it's worth a shot, right?? ;-)
    Posted by lch0708[/QUOTE]

I don't want a co-ed shower, just my FI there lol. That would mean more people!! I used to work at the hall where I am getting married and there were a few showers where the groomsmen attended and they had their own table. It was pretty cool because they played server for the women and took their drink orders and what not.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_bridal-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:0f5f3cb4-e0dd-426e-a55a-332760e6ab33Post:ca67968b-9e0a-45a4-8d41-23115e7bf3c2">Re: Bridal Shower</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bridal Shower : I don't want a co-ed shower, just my FI there lol. That would mean more people!! I used to work at the hall where I am getting married and there were a few showers where the groomsmen attended and they had their own table. It was pretty cool because they played server for the women and took their drink orders and what not.
    Posted by vk2204[/QUOTE]

<div>This sounds like an okay idea to me, you just have to convince your FI it is fun thing to do ;-)  You could get your MOH or BM to help you open the gifts as well.</div><div>
    </div><div>Personally I don't think my FI will be at my bridal shower.</div>
  • Christine9866Christine9866 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2012
    FI will just be driving me and coming in to say hello as well as picking me up. I am also shy, but I think I will be fine after a couple mimosas :) Keep in mind that your bridesmaids move along the process by taking ribbon and bows off packages, and helping you unwrap items.
    148 invitedimage | 105 Yes!image | 8 Noimage |33 still ? image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I would be wary of that. I remember going to a baby shower and a few of us were insulted because her husband was there and he opened all the presents, while we had gotten them for her in mind. Same goes for a bridal shower- people want to see you open the presents, not your FI or bridesmaids! (beyond them maybe loosening a bow or something) So those huge showers can be a pain because that takes so long so just make sure you have enough time to open each gift and have a reaction so the person who got it for you can feel appreciated!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't think my FI will be at my shower. I would like him to stop by, because he hasn't met some of my aunts yet, so I think it would be nice if he came by for a little while, but I do not think he would want to hang out the whole time lol. 

Maybe I'll go the route of Christine and have him drop me off and pick me up so that he makes an appearance :)
    135 invited image | 45 Yes image | 11 No image | 79 Still need to reply! image
    RSVP Deadline: March 23
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    April 2013 Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaids Dresses
  • vk2204vk2204 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the input! I guess I can wait and see who all is actually attending before I decide if I want FI to be there or not. Either way he will be there at the end to help load gifts up, and eat of course lol.
  • For me FI is coming at the end :) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  •  a good idea ,i think he should go with u , congratulations 
  •  a good idea ,i think he should go with u , congratulations 
  • I think I really do want it to be a bridal shower because I don't get much time to hang out with ALL of my friends at once since we are scattered everywhere. That said, I want FI to be able to meet all of them too, so maybe he'll make an appearance at the beginning and then go hang out with his buddies. I don't think he'd enjoy that kind of party, and his friends definitely wouldn't haha
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    So ready to bring our families together and PARTY on April 13th, 2013!
    image 225 Invited
    image 53 Are ready to party!
    image 18 Will be missing out!
    image 154 Are MIA!
    Reply requested by March 23.
  • Unless you are planning a co-ed shower, I would discourage you from having your fi there. I know mine would not want to be stuck in a room with all women for that kind of party. When my parent's got married, they had a couple of showers thrown for them, one by the church choir, which was co-ed. The other ones were female only. Maybe you could have a men's party in another part of the shower venue or somewhere nearby and he could come by for gift opening. Otherwise, I hate to say it, but suck it up :/
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    April 2013 September Siggy Challenge
    Red Horse Barn, Huntington Beach, CA
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards