Interfaith Weddings

destination wedding - Rabbi to marry jew and non-jew

hello!
i know this is a long shot but i'm desperate at this point.
I'm getting married in Italy (near Florence). I am trying to find a Rabbi that will do a Jewish ceremony but my finace is not jewish. If anyone know's an international congregation or any contact that could help me find someone?
it's a shot in the dark i know... but i had to ask!

Jessica

Re: destination wedding - Rabbi to marry jew and non-jew

• 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You might just try Googling "interfaith rabbi Italy."  I came up with this one with just a brief look.
  • edited December 2011
    the rabbi who we are using for our wedding (Rabbi Aryeh Alpern) will do an interfaith wedding like the one you describe. 

he is based in upstate NY, but i know he has travelled all over to officiate. I dont know if he would go to italy, though it would be worth checking. 

his email usually goes through his wife, her name is Karen. 

The email I use for them is: RabbiAlpern@aol.com or  KATickmanA@aol.com they both work

if you contact them, please let them know that lynnie rudner referred you. thank you. 

In addition, FI and I were in rome this summer, and spent some time in the "jewish quarter." it was mostly orthodox, and when we jokingly asked if someone would marry us (after someone complimented my ring) we explained we were "interfaith" and were promptly told that it wasnt possible. 

http://www.mywedding.com/lynnieandandy
    october '10 siggy: Early Pic of me and FI (not the first.....)
    imageVisit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011

You could try our Rabbi, Rabbi Jeffrey Leynor.  My DH is Jewish but I am not and he co-officiated our interfaith wedding.

• rachelbleerachelblee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Jessica,
    I came across your post as I am planning my own wedding.  I tried responding to you privately but I'm not sure if it worked.  My father is a reputable reform rabbi who will perform a ceremony anywhere in the world.  He has even performed a wedding in Italy!  He will tailor a wedding to your wants and needs and is sensitive to every aspect of planning.  You can reach him through his website, www.rabbibleefeld.com.  Or, if you'd like, you can send me a message and I can put you in touch with him.  Best of luck.
  • rachelbleerachelblee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can't figure out this website....feel free to email me privately at rachelbleefeld@gmail.com
  • stahlopstahlop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our rabbi does interfaith (our wedding was interfaith) and I know he travels as well.  His name is Rabbi David Roller and his email is idavidroller@gmail.com.  If you email him, let him know Lisa and Matt recommended him.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Jessica,
    Just came upon your post.  If you have not been successful in locating a Rabbi to officiate at an interfaith wedding in Italy, I would love to chat with you.  If you have, I wish you a hearty mazel tov.  I travel anywhere and bring warmth and passion to your ceremony.  Feel free to contact me at rabbispiegel@comcast.net
    B'Shalom
    Rabbi S
  • edited December 2011
    missmomito --

so sorry to hear about your bad experience with rabbi alpern. 

i agree that he is expensive, and that is frustrating to me, for sure. but since finding out a quote from him, i have investigated at least 7 other rabbis who do interfaith weddings and each one was over $1000, and some were as much as $2000. So, $1500, which is insane when compared to a pastor, ministor, JP, etc seems to be the "going rate." Sad, but true. 

at any rate, we are using him for our wedding in october, and have talked to him numerous times on the phone, and met him once in person. 

we so far have been very happy. he got to us know pretty well and was conscientious of our needs, desires, and concerns about the ceremony. his "template" was shown to us as a list of ideas or suggestions, and we all worked on it together until we got to something that was very different from his "sheets" and very special to us. 

i think that there is a certain amount of responsibility that the couple needs to take on themselves when they want a "custom" ceremony. i dont think that any officiant, except maybe a relative or friend might be able to create an entire custom ceremony from scratch without a lot of input and elbow grease from the couple involved. it also seems to me like the "templates" that are used as in fact just a really rough sketch to get you going -- at least thats how it seemed to us. 

and since we have not had our wedding yet, i cannot say for sure how it will go. but i just wanted to offer another perspective on this particular rabbi, since im not totally sure the above was as balanced as it could have been. 

good luck!
    http://www.mywedding.com/lynnieandandy
    october '10 siggy: Early Pic of me and FI (not the first.....)
    imageVisit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    while i'm not able to suggest anything about the original topic, i did just want to say that my fiance and i are planning an interfaith wedding, and we've talked to 3 rabbis, none of whose rate is more than 800$.

just a thought for you all.
  • rabbimichaelrabbimichael member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi, 
    I am Rabbi Michael Raab and I travel all over officiating interfaith weddings. I can be reached at rabbimr13@aol.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards