Wedding Etiquette Forum

Wedding Shower Woes

My mom's friend is throwing us a shower in CA when we're home (we live in DC) in February, which is exciting and fun even though it's so far from the wedding. We probably won't be home again until August, though, so there weren't other options. My FI's parents are even flying from NY to CA for it, which will be great since they've only ever met my mom - no one else in my family. 

Buuuut now I'm finding out that my mom's friend has invited her kids (who are my age, but my parents and I have met them maybe 3-4 times in my entire life) and other members of her family that I've never met. Her husband is our officiant, so I feel bad saying, "but but but they're not invited to the wedding!" Especially so far in advance since I obviously haven't sent out invitations yet. They're sort of like second parents to me, which makes it even more awkward that I just simply do not know their children. While I've always been content to go hang out with my mom and her friends, I guess they haven't. 

I just feel so weird, I don't want people that barely know me to feel obligated to get us gifts! (To which she responds, "Honey, the point of a shower is to get you as many gifts as we possibly can!") My mom says she's the hostess, and I can't have a say in who's invited, but that just seems odd to me. Alas.

Do I just suck it up and invite these people she's inviting to the shower to our wedding? Do I just pass it off as a faux pas on her part? It's too late to decline the shower since flights are booked, etc. 

Any words of wisdom? Thanks in advance.
Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com

Re: Wedding Shower Woes

• I would try to invite her kids, if you have space/budget for them.  But her other family members, I wouldn't invite.  They probably wouldn't go to a strangers wedding anyway, especially if they have to travel for it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-shower-woes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:dd7bd4eb-2df9-49e8-8c32-d314b8c9507dPost:9f88a6c0-3cbc-49a1-99d3-0b2d93e11ded">Re: Wedding Shower Woes</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wouldn't invite them to the wedding. It is bad enough to invite people you barely know to the shower (I know that's not your fault), but to do it again for the wedding seems doubly gift grabby. The host probably just wants to hang out with her kids at the party she is hosting, so she invited them. I doubt they are expecting an invite or planning on bringing a lavish gift, they probably just want to hang out with their mom.
    Posted by Liatris2010[/QUOTE]

<div>This. Honestly, it's her issue, you shouldn't have to add people because she invited her kids. </div>
  • I agree with PPs to just not worry too much about the guest list and enjoy the shower.  I'd also like to add about the present- your mom is correct.  The point of a shower is get presents, so you will be getting lots of presents.  The thought of having a party where people expected me to be the center of attention and sit and open gifts in front of them made me uncomfortable, so I understand feeling weird, but that's why I declined all offers of a shower (even though it made my in-laws very upset).  Everyone who comes to the shower, including those you don't know well, will probably bring you a present because that's the point of the party.

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Totally thought the knot ate my post on this one, but look! It spat it back! 

Sorry, I should have been clearer. The kids live in CA as does their mom (my mom's friend). We're the ones traveling for it. Not that it really changes much other than they would probably come.

My mom's friend has told stories many times of members of their family, especially the kids, trying to (her words not mine) weasel into weddings because they want to enjoy the big party. I think she sees it as a win win since we'll get gifts and they'll get to party, but it makes me uncomfortable. Sigh.

I'll just stay out of it. 

Thanks all for the reassurance!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards