Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Need Opinions!!! Wedding at 2? pictures before? but bad luck?

Ok so my church will only let us be there till 3p.m. we have to be out by 3 p.m. Now i'm going to see if they will let us stay till at least 3:30 so i am hoping they will say yes but if they don't, wondering on if should take pictures before the wedding in the chapel area, but i always have known it to be bad luck to see the bride before the wedding. Also wondering about reception time. Having dinner at 5 but i think it may be a bit to late to do if wedding is done and over at 3? Having a hours and half before time to go into the hall. What do ya'll think i should do? Thanks for taking the time to read this!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Need Opinions!!! Wedding at 2? pictures before? but bad luck?

• think about if the tradition is important to you/fi and if you/fi are superstitious or not.

if you dont want to see eachother before hand. can you do all the pics before that dont have both of you in them. like you+bms you+your family him+gm him+his family. you+dad him+RB etc. just organize the photo list accordingly to have the least amount of back and forth and do that before the wedding. then in the few mins after the wedding do the ones with all of you and you and him. (your make up and hair is fresher before hand anyways). (just dont zoom in on the ring fingers)
    10-10 siggy favorite summer picture Image and video hosting by TinyPic http://hiscb.blogspot.com/
  • cschuma2cschuma2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited May 2010
    It's common to see each other before the wedding.  IMO, this so isn't a big deal.  My husband and I stayed together the night before the wedding. We did all of our pictures before the wedding.  Our wedding went off without a hitch and we're all alive and well now.

Follow this tradition if it's fun for you.  Don't follow it when it becomes inconvenient.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • This is merely a superstition.  What kind of "bad luck" do you really think will happen if you see each other before the wedding?

Reminds me of a line from The Office:  I'm not superstitious.  Well, I'm a little stitious."

Seriously, don't plan your schedule around an old wive's tale.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • If you do all the pics where you aren't together (ie you w/your parents, you w/your BMs, him w/his parents etc) before, it shouldn't take long to do the ones with you together.  Our photog said it wouldn't take more than 25 min, maybe as few as 16 (apparently he's timed himself).

As far as reception timing, plan to have it start as soon as the ceremony is over.  Or if it takes 10 minutes to get there, 10 minutes after the ceremony ends. 
  • No, it's not "bad luck", that is an old wive's tale.  Probably started just to keep the bride and groom focused and out of everyone else's way, lol.

In this case, I think taking the pictures before the wedding would be a good idea, so you can start the ceremony as late as possible, to have everyone out by 3 or 3:30 pm.

But if the dinner doesn't start until 5, you will need something for the guests to do in between.  Allowing for visiting, travel time, etc... if you could have "cocktail hour" start at 4 pm, that would be ideal.

If you can't afford a cockail hour, it can be something simple or even non-alcoholic refreshments.  A champagne or sangria punch with cheese, crackers, and fruit would be very economical.
  • We are having the same problem. Our ceremony will be at 2 (a Catholic wedding) so we will need to do some photos before hand so that we are not in a rush after. The idea my phototog and I have discussed is bride and groom and family photos before the ceremony and wedding party photos after the ceremony. Our reception will start about 5:00pm so guest will have a little time between the ceremony and reception to return to the hotel and relax.
  • You can do photos before or after... my sister's photographer set up a special meeting for her and her now husband. so that the photographer could capture the moment they first saw each other before the wedding. they seemed to really like it. however, I am doing photos after the ceremony for my wedding... not because I think it's bad luck to do otherwise, but because I think it is fun to make him wait until we are at the ceremony before he sees me. Either way should be fine though.

You do need to plan something for in between the ceremony and reception though. I think the cocktail hour is the best bet if you're able to afford it like PP said. Have somewhere for guests to go and something for them to do before the reception actually begins.
  • Take your photos with your bridesmaids before, have the FI take his with his groomsmen and after get a few shots in the church.  It's common now for people to take photos somewhere else other than the church (although I can understand why you want some there, I do too).  Most photographers in my area are scheduled for a certain amount of hours and will go with you wherever it is you go in that amount of time.  Maybe you could get some of you and the new husband at a local park or another favorite place in the area, especially since you have a good window of time until the reception.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had a hard time with this decision also. My FI and I are very private and decided it could be a special moment for us to see each other before the ceremony (other than the photographers capturing the moment). That way we can give each other a hug and kiss and not be so anxious during the ceremony. I'm really happy with the decision we made.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards