Moms and Maids
Options

wonderful, supportive, and driving me CRAZY

Today was pretty busy at work, and when I finally sat down to check my email for the first time today there were EIGHT separate emails from my parents - six from my mom and two from my dad.

No one was sick, hurt, or in danger. The "crisis" that deserved eight urgent emails was that one of my bridesmaids has narrowed her choices down to three lovely dresses, and -- gasp -- one of them is in CRINKLE CHIFFON, not regular chiffon! Really, a valid cause for declaring a family emergency!

I don't know why my parents, particularly my mom, care so much about what the bridesmaids wear. We've had problems before over these dresses and I am just happy that everyone has found options that look good on them and that are black and floor length. As far as I'm concerned, I've spent enough hours deliberating and shopping for these dresses to have this qualify as a part time job. I ended up in tears after one argument where my mother just wouldn't give up pushing me to "expect" my bridal party to wear a certain thing, and in particular to pressure my sister to shop more.

The problem is, my parents so want this day to be "perfect" that they are trying to exert control in ways that make the experience stressful for me. My FI and I spent a lot of time looking at invitations until we found something we loved, but my parents vetoed it as not formal enough and not representing them. And with these darn dresses, my mom keeps coming up with all these "rules" that go against my intention to have this be easygoing and allow for the bridal party's personal choice, such as "all the dresses have to be chiffon" when I said it would be fine for them to just all be black and floor length, and "if the bridesmaids aren't going to all wear the same dress, they must all wear different dresses". Again, I never specified this, and in fact my two best friends want to wear the same dress, and I'm not telling them they can't.

She also decided that my store-bought thank you cards weren't nice enough, so she pressured me into ordering custom ones with our names printed on them. And she isn't happy with how little we have on our registry and wants me to pick out more, when I'm half convinced we're not going to have anywhere to put what we already asked for!

I feel guilty for getting upset. My parents are paying for almost everything and really sparing no expense. I want them to be happy with the wedding and I don't want to be ungrateful. They made my sister's wedding a few years ago and want to give me something just as nice, and I feel uncomfortable declining their offers when they're being so generous. They're not ones to lord the money over me, as in, "We're paying, so you need to do what we want" but they are just mind-numbingly persistent. Hence the eight emails in one day.

I guess this is more of a vent than anything else, since I've pretty much figured that I'm going to say yes to them on some issues and stand my ground on others, like the BM dresses. After all if this is a preview of how they're going to interact with us after we're married - well, I don't want to be fighting these battles when I'm pregnant and parenting!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: wonderful, supportive, and driving me CRAZY

• Options
    tesskerrtesskerr member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Haha, parents, always entertaining! My mum drives my crazy sometimes too, have a read of the post a few down "keeping mom involved" or similar title, it will make you very grateful that you parents are healthy and able to be so involved, and hopefully will give you a little more tolerance to them, for now at least! Good luck.
  • Options
    sarah42ndsarah42nd member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Is she paying? Honestly you need to get your parents under control unless you want them vetoing your parental decisions when you have children.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    KnibletKniblet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    [QUOTE] My parents are paying for almost everything and really sparing no expense. I want them to be happy with the wedding and I don't want to be ungrateful.
    Posted by eviltwin13[/QUOTE]
    It sucks that they are bombarding you with emails and whatnot but since they ARE paying, there's not much you can do.  Even if you talk to them about calming down on that part, they may not take it well.  (I don't know them so i can only assume this.)

My mom was sort of the same way with trying to veto stuff but she wasn't as bad as what you're describing.  At times, I DID remind my mom that what she was choosing (or trying to choose), just wasn't me or FI.  And once she thought about it, she backed off a bit.

But as we all know, if you want to have the stuff that YOU and your future husband want, the best way to get it is to pay for those things yourself.  I don't personally agree with "he who pays has the say" but it's how it usually goes.

When I get to this point in the future with H's girls, we WILL offer to help pay but I will NOT try to make it into my own second wedding.  It's not right.

Good luck.

ETA:  BM dresses should only be the concern of the BM's and you.  Not the parents.
    vacation vacation vacation vacation
    It's almost here! Weeeeeeee!
    my read shelf:
    Jaime's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    43/70 books read

Back in June 2010...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    "Thanks for the suggestions, [Mom/Dad], but we've already decided on [this]."

"Didn't the bridesmaids pick such lovely dresses? I'm so glad they'll be beautiful and comfortable at the wedding."

etc, etc.

Either shut them down when they push their opinions or stop sharing wedding details. 

ETA: Though they ultimately get final say on what they're paying for (which presumably does NOT include the bridesmaid dresses)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, the beauty of email is that you have complete control over when you read and respond to it. Could you get back to your parents a few times a week on their questions? Some of the 'problems' might resolve themselves before you get to the emails.

• Options
    eviltwin13eviltwin13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone....

My FI hit the nail on the head with this. His concern was not that my parents are making decisions with us, but that an attitude is coming across that their opinion is much more enlightened and tasteful than others'. They are also continuing to push in the face of clear, unambiguous signals from me that I feel strongly about something. We have tried all along to work with my parents in making decisions that will work for all of us - but that's harder to do when you feel like your opinion isn't respected.

I had to work really hard to renegotiate my relationship with my mother when I became an adult. I had to fight long and hard over things like walking places by myself, taking the subway, eating whatever I wanted, and buying clothes that I liked that she didn't necessarily love. I insisted on paying for everything myself, and I stopped answering intrusive questions. Over time, our relationship improved a lot, but it did take my mother some time to learn to treat me as an adult instead of a young child.

Now it seems like things are backsliding. I'm not used to being checked up on a million times over things I've said I will do. If I ignored all the emails, they'd continue to pile up - hence the 8 that were in my inbox, all about the same thing. (The only reason there weren't any texts as well is that I was at work and they know better than to text me at work.) It's just frustrating that we are going to have to negotiate this all over again.

As for the person who pointed out that at least my mother is healthy - yes, I'm very grateful for that. I hope I'm going to have children fairly soon so that they can have their grandparents around and healthy for many years. But that doesn't negate the fact that I'd like my parents to treat me like the adult I am and respect my boundaries, too. I don't want to play the game of "who has it worse".
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    leahskinner1leahskinner1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your post sounds like an exact copy to what I am going through - even with the invitations that were not formal enough and did not represent them. LOL!

I am at the same point as you are - deciding what is important/not important and taking a stance/compromising to keep the peace. What I have found as necessary is to remember to take quiet time (no phones, no emails) with your fiance to remind yourself of the end goals! It sounds like you two are being a good team, and keeping a unified front with your parents - this will show them that you are, indeed, adults. (I know that mine try to get me as "the bride" to make decisions based on their suggestions without my fiance's input.)

Good luck!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards