Wedding Woes

Ugh...What are those people good for then?

I called HR to talk to them about taking FMLA. (My mom's surgery has been penciled in, so it's time to apply).

It is so friggin confusing with the paid versus unpaid and how it is all done. Everyone is telling me something different. And it's scary because if something goes wrong, it could be very costly (esp when it comes to insurance).

One guy could tell me about FMLA, but not benefits. So, I asked to talk to someone who could help me. This chick couldn't find herass with both hands and a flashlight. She was all, "I thiiiiiink that is how it will happened." I was all like, "Who KNOWS how it actually happens? I want to talk to them." And of course it was some lady who is out of the office.

It is complicated because I will be using unpaid leave (I have used all my sick days being sick myself). I think I have about three days of paid leave. Maybe I should just use those. That would put me there the day of the procedure - through the weekend - and then with her until Tuesday day. But she wants me there all week.

GOD! Everytime I even have to think about this FMLA shyt, I get stressed and cry. I need a nap.

Re: Ugh...What are those people good for then?

• 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    can you set up an appt. to speak to someone in person?  Then everyone can be prepared and you can take notes.  Maybe even have the person initial your notes JIC.

Good luck with this.  Lots of luck to your mom too.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm sorry. That is so frustrating. 
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    One more thought.  After your conversation I'd follow up with an e-mail stating what you talked about.  Ask for an acknowledgement too.
  • *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my understanding from when i was on maternity leave, FMLA is unpaid, up to 12 weeks in a year, and guarantees that you will have your job or comparable when you return. my insurance benefits/payments stayed the same, and the company paid them on my behalf until i was back on the regular payroll, and then retroactively charged my pay.

if you will only be out a week, i would think that they would pay your check/benefits as normal - one week of pay.
  • edited December 2011
    Well, I have 42 leave hours. If I apply for FMLA and am out a week, they will pay for my benefits and it'll be like I took a vacation. It's what happens when I run out of paid leave that is starts to get weird.

I think they continue to pay for my health insurance, but I have to pay my medical and dental. But no one can tell me exactly how this works.

I just feel like this is like jumping off a cliff and I don't know what is under me. And because of my health issues, if something gets jacked up - I can be screwed.

And it is hard to get someone to talk to, because the FMLA guy knows FMLA, but he doesn't know about benefits and vice versa.

The lady I need to talk to (I think) is out. I'll call her on Tuesday and see. And of course I am going to have to talk to my boss about this. Which makes me want to chew glass.
  • AuntFloAuntFlo member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    The good news is, even if they don't cover your insurance while you're out, it's not like they can cancel it without you knowing.  Even if you have to pay for a few weeks of your insurance out of pocket, you still have continuous coverage.
    I hope you're able to get this all worked out.   This is the last thing you should be worrying about right now but I know there is no way NOT to worry about this.

Hang in there!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards