Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

New to the boards!!

Hi Ladies!

I just wanted to say hi! I'm new to the boards (but must admit I've been lurking for a while to get the hang of things!) and I wanted to introduce myself! My name is Gianna and I'm newly engaged! I currently live and work in Philadelphia but was born and raised in Pittsburgh where my family still lives. We're planning our wedding for May 28, 2011 in Pittsburgh (at the Carnegie Museum in Oakland) and I couldn't be more thrilled to have my wedding at home!

My FI and I met while on an internship in Walt Disney World in Orlando Florida 5 years ago. This past October, we were on a trip to Disney with both of our parents, and my brother and his FI, and that's where he proposed to me! I couldn't believe it! I was SO surprised and we're both so excited! Since our engagement, we had been debating between a wedding in Pittsburgh, where I'm from, or a wedding in Disney where we met and got engaged. Needless to say, we decided on Pittsburgh because I felt it was more important to have more of our families there - plus it was easier for his family from Philadelphia to get to Pittsburgh than it is to get to Orlando.

Anyway, I just wanted to say Hi and let everyone know a little about myself!!  I look forward to meeting everyone!! I hope everyone had a great holiday and a happy New Year!!

Gianna

Re: New to the boards!!

• edited December 2011

Congrats and welcome! Gianna is such a beautiful name! The board is rather slow now b/c of the holidays, but hopefully it will pick up soon. Hope you continue to post!

• morainemommorainemom member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hello and congratulations Gianna!

Ooohh, a wedding at the Carnegie Museum - that will be so beautiful!

There are quite a few Disney fans here, where exactly did your FI propose to you at?

• hey_its_jennhey_its_jenn member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome and congrats, Gianna!!  What a cute story of how you two got engaged!! My MOH (maid of honor - you'll get a hang of the abbreviations soon enough!) did an internship at Disney like 4 or 5 years ago and loved it!  She still talks about it all the time!

May is a beautiful time to have a wedding!!

Do you have a dress or any inspiration pictures you'd like to share? We LOVEEEE pictures! haha. 

Let us know if you need anything!!  We're always glad to help out a fellow bride - even if she is living in Philly!  We've had a couple of out of town brides plan a wedding in Pittsburgh and everything worked out beautifully.  Besides, I have a soft spot for Philly since I went to school out in that area!

Married 9/19/09
    Me: 27 // DH: 31
    TTC # 1 Since October 2010 (Not preventing since 2009)

October 2012: DH Dx: Testicular Cancer -- Left Orchiectomy
    December 2012: F/U CT Scan -- All clean!
    January 2013: Starting the adoption process!

• edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome!  Your pup is so cute :-)
  • gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thanks so much everyone!! I'm SO excited to be here and meet some others going through the same things! Planning has been kind of stressful but fun at the same time! It's just hard planning from Philly (although it's not that far!) - I just have to be sure to plan in advance which has actually been kind of good for me!

morainemom – I’m very excited about the Carnegie! It is AMAZING there and I couldn’t be more thrilled with the location! Also, I LOVE Disney! Growing up, my family would go once or twice a year so I feel as if I kind of grew up there! FI proposed to me early on Oct. 16th – we were on our way to the Magic Kingdom. We took the monorail to get there and when we got off he told me he had to find his friend’s family brick and take a picture for him – it was “supposedly” located along the walkway that looks like it’s heading to the Grand Floridian but is really just a long dead end walkway. So we started down there and when we got to the end he told me there was no brick and got down on his knee and proposed!! It was so special because it was in Disney where we met, but it wasn’t in front of the ENTIRE world! I’m kind of a shy person so it couldn’t be a more perfect location!

hey_its_jen: Thanks so much! It means a lot to have people to go to for advice! I can see why your MOH talks about it all the time (I do too!), the Disney internship was the BEST time of my life!!! By the way, where did you go to school in Philly? I came to Philly for college and went Philadelphia University. I ended up getting a job after graduation here so I stayed! It’s nice because it’s close to home, but still away. As for a dress and inspiration – I have in inspiration board I made and I’d love to share it, I’ll just have to try and figure out how to post the image!! I’m also working on a planning bio to link to my profile. I just got my dress (I know it’s a little far out but I was too excited to wait!) at Anne Gregory for the Bride in Mt. Lebanon a couple weeks ago! It is absolutely perfect for me! Again, I will post a picture of the dress if I can figure it out!!

Once again thank you all!! I’m SO excited about my wedding and getting to know everyone on here!

• edited December 2011
    Hello and welcome!

The proposal story is so cute!
    image.
    BabyName Ticker
  • jms173jms173 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and Welcome!

You are getting married on my birthday!!  Hope you continue to post and can't wait to hear more of your wedding details!! =)
  • edited December 2011
    Congratulations on your proposal and welcome to the boards!

Can't wait to hear more details about your wedding!
  • gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks girls!
    I'll definitely be continuing to post! I get EXTREMELY bored at work and find myself sitting at my desk exploring everything on theknot (I'm sure you all know the feeling!)!! haha!! Thanks so much for the warm welcome!! It means alot!! :)
  • AP910AP910 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Gianna :) Congratulations on your engagement-- what a cute story!!! I too live in Philly and am planning a wedding in Pittsburgh. Not the easiest thing for sure, but I know many brides have to cover greater distances than us! Did you look at any stores in Philadelphia for your dress? It is awesome that you already found yours. I just started looking for mine here, figuring that is one thing I don't have to drive across the state to do! :) Welcome to the board!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    HI an welcome, I'll be MIA pretty much until jan 14 when I am back from HM, but can't wait to hear the details. 
    August Siggy Challenge- Wedding Must Have - sleigh cake stand Bio updated 04/05/10.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Welcome and congrats!  Cute proposal story:-)  I'm an out of town bride too, but the girls on here are super helpful!  Do you have any pictures or know of any other details for the wedding?  We love details and pictures!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    AP910: It's SO nice to hear that I'm not alone! And you're right - there are tons of brides that have MUCH longer distances than we do!! Where in Philly are you from? I live right near King of Prussia Mall in Valley Forge :) I did look for dresses in Philly! We went to Priscilla of Boston in Ardmore, and The Wedding Shoppe in Wayne - they were both great but I didnt find "the one" My mom and a few others were planning a trip to NYC to look when I looked at the store in Pittsburgh and FELL IN LOVE with the dress!! I canceled my trip to NYC and got it on the spot! haha I'm a bit impulsive!

Yes I do have TONS of details, pictures etc. I'm working on a planning bio but it's a bit harder than I thought! :) haha - After work today I was going to try to finish it! I have SO many ideas I'd love to share and cant wait to see everyone's ideas for their weddings!!

brivb10 - CONGRATS!! hope your day is wonderful and you have an amazing honeymoon!! GL!!

Just wanted to say that it's so wonderful to have such a great welcome~!! It really is great!! Thanks again everyone!! :)
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Gianna!  Congrats and welcome to the boards!  Hope you post often.

Your wedding details sound lovely already!  Can't wait to hear more about it!  :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Happy Birthday, little man. We love you so much!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Search & Win
    My favorite money saving tip: I've earned more than $300 in gift cards (Amazon, Starbucks, Southwest!) using SwagBucks for internet searching - and you can too! It's FREE and EASY!
  • edited December 2011
    Welcome and happy planning! :)

Vacation

• gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Ladies!!

I just wanted to let you all know that I FINALLY created a bio!! If you're interested take a look! I know I really enjoy browsing through everyone's bios on here!! Hope you all have a Happy New Year!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards